Bricked!!!

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Did the endless startup-logo-startup-logo loop continue after the 20 sec power button restart?

The endless loop started after I just powered up.

Now after the 10/20 sec power up (hooked and unhooked)..it goes to the att screen and stays there.

Just to clear it up, after you performed the 20 second power-button restart (with the charging cable not plugged in), did you hook it up again without starting the phone and
waited for it to turn on by itself? If not, try that.

Did that...went to white screen and died again...:dry

Man this hurts...a beautiful phone. Have been waiting for this for a long time... always wanted to come back since my wm6.1/6.5 days...but what a let down!! but hopefully MS and Nokia will do something soon.

See this Lumia 800 thread with reams of pages full of this issue Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 800 wont power on or charge - Page 6 - Nokia Support Discussions

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
So you plugged it out, did the reset, left it turned off, and just plugged it in without turning it on, and nothing good is happening?

Then I guess you should take it in, as it doesn't seem like one of those small issues that a battery in-and-out would fix, so the factory reset might also not fix it in the long run, even if it might work short-term.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It is NOT advisable to discharge the battery completely without properly shutting off the phone. This has been true since Windows Mobile days. This is after all a Windows product, just like its PC counter part, you need to properly shutdown the OS. So to those going to kill their battery on purpose, don't. It will be a hit or miss. The OS might start up, it might not. But it's not because it's defective. Its because you didn't properly shut it down. I even remember reading FAQ on the HTC website that a battery pull and completely discharging my Surround's battery should not be done.

I concur..its was the same in wm days...but wouldnt you think MS would have learnt cos we always had work arounds in the wm days!! See this problem occurs in Android too (btw androids are battery hogs and dont last as long as the wp7) when you get a ROM from the dev forums and the dev did not have access to proprietary s/w on the kernel. But for most OEM installed androids, the kernel is tuned to charge the phone and boot up even when the battery is drained...

I knew my phones juice was running out but never thght this would comatose the phone...anyways lets see what happens...MS and Nokia trolls here reading this... MAKE IT WORK!!

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So you plugged it out, did the reset, left it turned off, and just plugged it in without turning it on, and nothing good is happening?

Then I guess you should take it in, as it doesn't seem like one of those small issues that a battery in-and-out would fix, so the factory reset might also not fix it in the long run, even if it might work short-term.

Yup.... I tried all combos..just fries and soda missing now :D

ATT store here I come....oh cross that out.... MS Store here I come!!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I concur..its was the same in wm days...but wouldnt you think MS would have learnt cos we always had work arounds in the wm days!! See this problem occurs in Android too (btw androids are battery hogs and dont last as long as the wp7) when you get a ROM from the dev forums and the dev did not have access to proprietary s/w on the kernel. But for most OEM installed androids, the kernel is tuned to charge the phone and boot up even when the battery is drained...

I knew my phones juice was running out but never thght this would comatose the phone...anyways lets see what happens...MS and Nokia trolls here reading this... MAKE IT WORK!!

It happened when I had my Surround. I don't remember what I did to get it to start up again... but it did eventually start up.

mdelacoma

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Strange that I see this thread today. I got my 900 Monday. Last night it was running low and I remembered (from a couple years ago - Palm Pre Plus) reading that letting the battery completely drain after first getting it that that was supposed to be a good thing for long term battery life. So I did it with my 900. I experienced the exact same sequence of events as OP except that mine rebooted just fine and works just fine now. Guess I got extremely lucky. One question I have though, did I potentially do damage to the phone? Could I experience problems down the road?

chuey101

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
dont have a lumia but been using a wp7 for a while. ran into boot loops once in a while.

did you try removing the sim card and then trying to reboot/restart?

That usually did the trick on my hd7.

Hope this helps...

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
dont have a lumia but been using a wp7 for a while. ran into boot loops once in a while.

did you try removing the sim card and then trying to reboot/restart?

That usually did the trick on my hd7.

Hope this helps...

Nope... stuck at screen that says "Rethink Possible"...apt :lol:

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Naaah...i doubt thats the scene!! @ramrac tell me there is a fix around the corner!

I wouldn't know as I don't work for neither Nokia nor Microsoft (or any other Phone company for that matter).

Did they identify and fix that problem on the Lumia 800?
Was it hardware related (i.e. unfixable by a FW update, like with the <1000mAh batteries) and one had to have his phone replaced or was it just an error in the FW that could be fixed by an update?
If it was fixable by a FW update, how long did it take them to fix it?

If it was a FW problem and is fixed with an update on the 800, then I don't doubt that they'll fix it for the 900, and probably quickly as they already have it all worked out and coded for the 800. If it was not fixable by a FW update, well then they'll replace the phones.

I'd look into how they resolved those issues on the Lumia 800.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This happened to my old Arrive last night. I just unplugged it, let it start up, then quickly plugged in the charger cable. It worked on the second try. This has happened a couple of times in the past with the Arrive. Hasn't happened on my L900 yet. I also had this problem with my Evo and Palm Pre. It's as if the OS has to boot up before it can charge but doesn't have enough juice to boot up and then to acknowledge that it is plugged into a charger so it would go through a cycle of shutting down and rebooting. My Pre once took a few hours. I wouldn't leave it plugged into a charger if this happens. I've always unplugged the charger at the splash screen and then quickly plugged in the charger once it is nearly showing the "home" screen. All else fails, take it back. Warranties are awesome.

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I let my first 900 fully discharge and noticed that instead of it shuting down gracefully with the "goodbye" sceen like my Focus and Focus S it just turned off.

Don't know if it always does this as I only let it drain once before replacing it with another 900 due to the data issue.

Am too scared to loose data service with my new one so I never let it get past 2% of remaining battery before I recharge it.

This happened to me the first night I had it. No graceful shutdown just boom. I plugged it in and within 10 minutes it came back on. Had me worried for a second. I have not let it die since. Sounds a lot like the experience the Telsa roadsters where having if they let the Lithium battery run to 0%.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My Htc Surround was "bricked" because it wouldn't turn on...I charged it and got the loop....so I then charged it over night...and it started up.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I let my first 900 fully discharge and noticed that instead of it shuting down gracefully with the "goodbye" sceen like my Focus and Focus S it just turned off.

Don't know if it always does this as I only let it drain once before replacing it with another 900 due to the data issue.

Am too scared to loose data service with my new one so I never let it get past 2% of remaining battery before I recharge it.

Bugs aside I never let my phone get below 10%. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of power cycles before they degrade. Ergo, if you routinely charge early the battery lasts longer.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Strange that I see this thread today. I got my 900 Monday. Last night it was running low and I remembered (from a couple years ago - Palm Pre Plus) reading that letting the battery completely drain after first getting it that that was supposed to be a good thing for long term battery life. So I did it with my 900. I experienced the exact same sequence of events as OP except that mine rebooted just fine and works just fine now. Guess I got extremely lucky. One question I have though, did I potentially do damage to the phone? Could I experience problems down the road?

This is not true for the new lithium ion batteries. You don't need to "condition" them, as they don't have charge memory. What they do have, however, is a limited number of power cycles before they degrade. Don't let your battery die, as your battery life will suffer in the long term if it happens enough.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
This is not true for the new lithium ion batteries. You don't need to "condition" them, as they don't have charge memory. What they do have, however, is a limited number of power cycles before they degrade. Don't let your battery die, as your battery life will suffer in the long term if it happens enough.

Thats good to know abt the new ones...

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

That is not exactly true. They do occasionally need calibration for the firmware to know how much 100% puts out and how much 0% puts out. Anyone with a Samsung Focus can definitely demonstrate this.

And letting a Li battery die completely is bad, but that's why all - *ALL* firmwares should be doing a graceful shutdown before total 0%. The fact the Lumia 900 is NOT doing this is really bad- particularly since the battery is not user replaceable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb