Data usage question.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed I have used like 17MB of data in a week. Now, this isn't a lot, but its interesting because my Verizon bills have never been over 900KB in a month. I am using the phone pretty much the same way as my previous windows phone so I don't understand why I would have used 16 times the data I normally use in a month, in just a week. All the apps were downloaded over wifi. I see internet usages on my ATT statement for like 5MB a pop, and don't know what those are, it seems like a lot of data at once.

1. Is it possible that when Verizon says "killobytes" they really mean "megabytes"?
2. Is it normal to see 5MB at a time popping up at random on your data usage? Does the CNN app use that much data when it refreshes or something? (that's the only app I wasn't using on my other WP).

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So you use under 1 mb of data per month on verizon? Were you using a windows phone or a startac?

I can use 1 mb of data just going on this forum for about 1 minute using my phone.

I just dont see this being possible for a smartphone other than a blackberry. If you were using a windows phone on verizon, you should exceed 900 kb in a few days let alone a week or month.

The 900 may be 900 MB instead of 900 KB. who knows.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So you use under 1 mb of data per month on verizon? Were you using a windows phone or a startac?

I can use 1 mb of data just going on this forum for about 1 minute using my phone.

I just dont see this being possible for a smartphone other than a blackberry. If you were using a windows phone on verizon, you should exceed 900 kb in a few days let alone a week or month.

The 900 may be 900 MB instead of 900 KB. who knows.

Thats what I was thinking too after looking at it. There is no way I don't even use a megabyte in a month. I could see it being under a gigabyte though with my minimal data usage habits.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
yea, i'm pretty slim data usage wise on my windows phone, but even i end up using 3-500mb a month, 900kb is way too low, one live tile could pull that in a day easily.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Something isn't right. Also, the data doesn't always update consistently. You can have let's say 900k show for a while and then all of a sudden, jump to 10MB. It's all when the data is collected and posted. I'm on VZW and sometimes, I'll see a jump of 100MB and then it drops to like 80MB like they're estimating usage until actual is collected and then they correct the reporting.

I'm thinking you are seeing something off. 900k is a couple of emails. If you're using the browser at all or any apps that require data, there's no way you're that low for a month unless you're on wi-fi 100% of the time, which I find damn near impossible.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Something isn't right. Also, the data doesn't always update consistently. You can have let's say 900k show for a while and then all of a sudden, jump to 10MB. It's all when the data is collected and posted. I'm on VZW and sometimes, I'll see a jump of 100MB and then it drops to like 80MB like they're estimating usage until actual is collected and then they correct the reporting.

I'm thinking you are seeing something off. 900k is a couple of emails. If you're using the browser at all or any apps that require data, there's no way you're that low for a month unless you're on wi-fi 100% of the time, which I find damn near impossible.

Well this was on my actual billing statements at the end of every month. I have come to the conclusion that they have their units of measure wrong. Thats the only explanation that makes any sense at this point. Unless for some reason they are only counting some specific data since it was an unlimited plan.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Trust me...even on unlimited, they are counting usage. Unlimited just means that if you use way too much, they will throttle you or cancel you. Trust me on that one. It's all measured somehow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion