Vibrate Rattle

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I went to AT&T yesterday again. New phones are still doing this... Its so frustrating, I just want to switch my phone for one that doesn't rattle and move on

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Personally, I think the phones that don't rattle, (err, vibrate differently) are the ones that are broken. Different sound, yes. Problem, no. Still love my L900.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Went through three phones. My first one had the rattle when facedown (and other problems so I exchanged it, second one had it when it was faceup and this was a green dot model (everything was perfect except the water damage indicator had been tripped not by me, and the power button was a bit loose on this one, but that water indicator was the big one for me for future warranty purposes if need be), and my third one has it all the time, but it isn't as strong and doesn't seem to be getting worse after a couple days like the first two were. If anything it just starts out rattling, then it goes away, but the vibrate is so strong that this thing would not be silent at all really. I tested my mom's iPhone 4S and it has a slight rattle as well, as well as my old HTC Fuze. As others have noted, I guess other phones have this as well due to the auto focus lens, just on the Lumia I noticed it is a lot more pronounced.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Went through three phones. My first one had the rattle when facedown (and other problems so I exchanged it, second one had it when it was faceup and this was a green dot model (everything was perfect except the water damage indicator had been tripped not by me, and the power button was a bit loose on this one, but that water indicator was the big one for me for future warranty purposes if need be), and my third one has it all the time, but it isn't as strong and doesn't seem to be getting worse after a couple days like the first two were. If anything it just starts out rattling, then it goes away, but the vibrate is so strong that this thing would not be silent at all really. I tested my mom's iPhone 4S and it has a slight rattle as well, as well as my old HTC Fuze. As others have noted, I guess other phones have this as well due to the auto focus lens, just on the Lumia I noticed it is a lot more pronounced.

This is not normal behavior. As I've seen repeatedly in this thread, my girlfriend and I both got Lumias on the same day. Hers has had zero issues, no rattle, ****, her camera is even better than mine.

I already spoke to Nokia about this. They advised me to keep exchanging my phone until my 30 days are up, and if I cannot fix it that way, that they'll take care of me. I can't deal with this rattle, in my office when it's quiet and it's on vibrate it's extremely annoying...

mdelacoma

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I made my first exchange about a week ago. I originally bought a black one. I exchanged for a black one as well. The box had the green dot and my current phone rattles on vibrate. The IMEI number is: 359746042072137. I think I'll go to a corporate store and see what happens

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that it seems like the first phones ever made don't rattle... Everything since does. I've spoken to a few reps who forcefully had their phones changed and the newer ones rattle while the older ones did not...

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Storm trooper, I hear a slight electric razor type noise on the initial start up of the vibration motor, but then it evens out after about 1.5 seconds (using the diagnostic app).

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
This is not normal behavior. As I've seen repeatedly in this thread, my girlfriend and I both got Lumias on the same day. Hers has had zero issues, no rattle, ****, her camera is even better than mine.

I already spoke to Nokia about this. They advised me to keep exchanging my phone until my 30 days are up, and if I cannot fix it that way, that they'll take care of me. I can't deal with this rattle, in my office when it's quiet and it's on vibrate it's extremely annoying...

wow... it's just a little rattle. I really don't think it's going to change. If it bothers you so much maybe you just get a different phone.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
What's funny is that it seems like the first phones ever made don't rattle... Everything since does. I've spoken to a few reps who forcefully had their phones changed and the newer ones rattle while the older ones did not...

Well, I've just got a replacement last weekend. Before trying the new one, I thought I don't have the rattling problem, but as soon as I turned the new one on, I knew what you guys are talking about about the rattling... I couldn't imagine how quiet a normal Lumia 900 can be when vibrating comparing to my old one. Sadly, the replacement is on its way back due to yellowish screen. Hope the third one gets better.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've just got a replacement last weekend. Before trying the new one, I thought I don't have the rattling problem, but as soon as I turned the new one on, I knew what you guys are talking about about the rattling... I couldn't imagine how quiet a normal Lumia 900 can be when vibrating comparing to my old one. Sadly, the replacement is on its way back due to yellowish screen. Hope the third one gets better.

Do you think the yellowing is due to a screen defect or driver related? My white 900's screen doesn't look quite as good as my cyan one. I am wondering if it's hardware or software..

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I exchanged my phone for a new one yesterday. No rattle. It has the purple hue issue, by I can fix that temporarily with brightness settings, so I prefer that -_-

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I tested it without the tray in, and still got some rattle. I only get rattle if I hold it a certain way... am I holding it wrong? lol. But seriously, I only get it when the phone is in a certain position. I was thinking it was the tray, but it was still there without the tray. Last thing I can think of is the lock pin that holds the display in.

Exactely...as I just took the tray out, after seating the sim...and still my 2nd White device produces this tinny rattle..

At least my 2nd exchanged unit does not produce the puplish hue at Low Brightness settings, which more-then-likely will be rectified by a upcoming firmware update.
But the rattle does bother me, and I can not see a firmware update rectifying this...possibly subduing the motor...however I still have 14 + days to exchange again...
And will have AT&T extend this time frame and document my account.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The is exactly why I'm dealing with the purple hue. I know they can fix that, and have confirmed multiple times its software related abd not hardware the way some people want to claim. They cannot fix that rattle with any update lol. & it took me 6 devices to get one that didn't rattle & click

Exactely...as I just took the tray out, after seating the sim...and still my 2nd White device produces this tinny rattle..

At least my 2nd exchanged unit does not produce the puplish hue at Low Brightness settings, which more-then-likely will be rectified by a upcoming firmware update.

But the rattle does bother me, and I can not see a firmware update rectifying this...possibly subduing the motor...however I still have 14 + days to exchange again...

And will have AT&T extend this time frame and document my account.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's both - however, it shouldn't really happen if the hardware is up to snuff, so if you're seeing a lot of purple haze at low brightness, you really should replace the device as it isn't a software problem. It can be *mitigated* in software by not choosing colors that are near pink or purple (aka, don't use light gray like the keyboard does, for example), but it does hint of a display problem in it's approximation of a color that's not quite right.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Received a email and tweet back from NokiaCareUS...this is really impressive as it should be.
As Daniel Rubino made mention of in his always keen posts:

Nokia reportedly has identified the purple-hue screen issue for Lumia 900, will fix with future update

"And yeah, their service is unprecedented. One of the only Windows Phone OEMs that you can contact 4 or 5 people in the company and who not only listen, but bend over backwards to assist.

Much better support than Samsung who don't even have a face here in the US."

Here part of the email from NokiaCareUS:

Mr XXXXXXX,

Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your 2nd Lumia. Your feedback is being provided to the appropriate team and will reach out to you directly with any new information on status.

Kind regards,

Nokia Care US
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then called Nokia on their 888 number so they could document my issues with the 1st and 2nd L-900 White and made sure that they recorded the IMEI numbers...

Then called AT&T C.S. and was tranferred to Level 2 Tech/Retention, and spoke with a manager, 'Who frankly stated'...'Since we have no official docmentation from Nokia stating that indeed these vibration_rattling reports are directly related to a hardware issue...I would be pressed to extend or overide this 30 day period'...Please feel free to return the unit (as many times as needed) until you are satisified that you have received a device free of any hardware defects..' My account was documented to this also...so the AT&T Corp stores would see it ...

I really did not have an issue with this...completely acceptable...

Bottom line then went to another AT&T Corp Store in my area, and tested a White device.
No purplish hue on low brightness settings, and most importantly....this unit did NOT have the dreaded 'creaking sound' when pressing on the right hand corner of the LCD...and the vibration_rattle is nothing like my first two units..So I'm a happy camper!

Interesting enough, all three boxes that I had....have the green dot on them, but this 3rd unit was the only one that had already been updated to the most recent firmware update..

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Just returned my 2nd replacement phone to amazonwireless. Well, the second replacement sounded just like my razor, plus, the right-hand-side screen issue is there.

I think I'm done with the exchanging thing... First replacement having yellowish screen, and second even worse, I think I'd better stick with my original one. Yeah, scratched brazel, purple hue, but at lease it rattles less, and the screen isn't popping, plus, I am approaching the 30 day period.

Great response from NOKIA from gahbmwm5's post though, as long as they said they'll fix it.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The hue problem is definitely software related as I can easily make it go away on my device. Place it on auto setting in a dark room so it goes to low. It'll be messed up. Put the phone in direct light so it gets bright. Then go back to the dark room... It'll go to low & be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire