Vibrate Rattle

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I own two Lumias. Mine, a black one, and my girlfriend's, a cyan one. My vibrate has that disgusting, something-is-loose rattle when it vibrates. Most of you have experienced the same thing, so I thought it was normal. However, hers doesn't do it. Today I went to my AT&T store, and none of the rep handsets did it either. So, I exchanged mine, it appeared to not do it. But, after having it for some time, it does it, and it's driving me crazy. What is driving me crazier, is that their handsets rattled when flicked near the camera, but didn't rattle on texts, calls, etc. It is so god damned annoying now lol. Have any of you figured out WHAT is rattling? Or how to stop it?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it appears to be on both the start and end of the vibration. I'm on my third lumia, and they have ALL done it, which pisses me off, because my girlfriend's doesn't.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
This had been bothering me since I got my phone. Today I took out my sim tray, reseated the sim, and then reseated the whole tray. Annoying buzz/rattle is gone...so happy I am. :)

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This had been bothering me since I got my phone. Today I took out my sim tray, reseated the sim, and then reseated the whole tray. Annoying buzz/rattle is gone...so happy I am. :)

I tested it without the tray in, and still got some rattle. I only get rattle if I hold it a certain way... am I holding it wrong? lol. But seriously, I only get it when the phone is in a certain position. I was thinking it was the tray, but it was still there without the tray. Last thing I can think of is the lock pin that holds the display in.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I notice this rattle too, more so depending on what angle the phone is at. Sometimes it's really bad. It's really the only thing that bothers me about this phone. I had a Lumia 800 and the vibrate was nice and smooth on that phone.
I think it's a small price to pay to have a phone I really enjoy using.

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Every one of the store rep's phones and the display ls did this. I used the 'Simple vibe' app to test them. It is just something the phone will do. Not a big issue know that I know it's the same across the bar.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I've gotten used to it or maybe something shifted by the "rattle" that occurs in the first millisecond of vibration going off seems to have gone away on my Lumia.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store in South Coast Plaza to check their phones. The one Lumia 900 I tested didn't have the rattle. I then went to my local AT&T store and tested both display phones and they both exhibited the rattle. I'm hoping it's just the first batch of phones. On my phone, the rattle seems to be coming from the top of the phone where people are saying it's the auto focus lens. It very well could be the reason, but the rattle seems excessive.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Noticed mine rattle in the library today.. Christ, that sound is annoying. Worst part is I can't exchange it because AT&T stores around me only have black in stock.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine has kind of a harsh mechanical buzz that accompanies the vibrator when the phone's ringing. The milder haptic-feedback vibration doesn't seem to excite the buzz.

It is not a killer flaw, but it definitely takes away from the 'solid quality' feel that Nokia is known for (or I assume would like to be known for). Kind of like flexy hinges back in the flip-phone days.

I assume there's a thin stamped metal chassis piece somewhere inside that's resonating and slapping against something else. As the months go by and we get some teardown reports (anyone seen any yet?), maybe we'll figure out what's doing it and be able to fix it. Hopefully it is not something important (like say the display flex circuit connector) that will fatigue and break in a year.

To me this is not return-the-phone awful, though it does lower the barrier if some other semi-flaw pops up in the next week or two.

My phone's from Korea by the way, is there more than one factory making these?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo