05-07-2012 09:57 PM
59 123
tools
    So, I own two Lumias. Mine, a black one, and my girlfriend's, a cyan one. My vibrate has that disgusting, something-is-loose rattle when it vibrates. Most of you have experienced the same thing, so I thought it was normal. However, hers doesn't do it. Today I went to my AT&T store, and none of the rep handsets did it either. So, I exchanged mine, it appeared to not do it. But, after having it for some time, it does it, and it's driving me crazy. What is driving me crazier, is that their handsets rattled when flicked near the camera, but didn't rattle on texts, calls, etc. It is so god damned annoying now lol. Have any of you figured out WHAT is rattling? Or how to stop it?
    04-13-2012 04:30 PM
    Same problem with cyan, but it seems to be when it first starts vibrating
    Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 900 Vibrate rattle ? - Nokia Support Discussions
    04-14-2012 04:06 PM
    Yeah, it appears to be on both the start and end of the vibration. I'm on my third lumia, and they have ALL done it, which pisses me off, because my girlfriend's doesn't.
    04-14-2012 04:42 PM
    This had been bothering me since I got my phone. Today I took out my sim tray, reseated the sim, and then reseated the whole tray. Annoying buzz/rattle is gone...so happy I am. :-)
    04-14-2012 11:17 PM
    This had been bothering me since I got my phone. Today I took out my sim tray, reseated the sim, and then reseated the whole tray. Annoying buzz/rattle is gone...so happy I am. :-)
    I tested it without the tray in, and still got some rattle. I only get rattle if I hold it a certain way... am I holding it wrong? lol. But seriously, I only get it when the phone is in a certain position. I was thinking it was the tray, but it was still there without the tray. Last thing I can think of is the lock pin that holds the display in.
    04-15-2012 02:49 AM
    Is the rattle really that annoying? I seem to catch this vibration more than the regular vibration.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-15-2012 03:02 AM
    I notice this rattle too, more so depending on what angle the phone is at. Sometimes it's really bad. It's really the only thing that bothers me about this phone. I had a Lumia 800 and the vibrate was nice and smooth on that phone.
    I think it's a small price to pay to have a phone I really enjoy using.
    04-15-2012 09:10 AM
    Has anybody successfully swapped for a device that does not rattle?

04-16-2012 06:47 PM
    I'm heading to my store today to see what they say. I don't like it either
    04-17-2012 12:02 PM
    The rattle is the AUTO FOCUS LENS IN THE PHONE. You will hear that in many phones, the Lumia 900 is one of them.
    04-17-2012 04:29 PM
    Every one of the store rep's phones and the display ls did this. I used the 'Simple vibe' app to test them. It is just something the phone will do. Not a big issue know that I know it's the same across the bar.
    04-17-2012 05:10 PM
    Mine has a horrible rattle. Is this problem widespread or just some phones?? I made a short video to show the problem since I didn't see any on the web. Even though the vibration is kicked up, it should in no way do this. Video:
    04-18-2012 02:18 AM
    Mine has a horrible rattle. Is this problem widespread or just some phones?? I made a short video to show the problem since I didn't see any on the web. Even though the vibration is kicked up, it should in no way do this. Video:
    Wow that is quite bad. I would suggest a return.
    04-18-2012 08:24 AM
    Maybe I've gotten used to it or maybe something shifted by the "rattle" that occurs in the first millisecond of vibration going off seems to have gone away on my Lumia.
    04-18-2012 09:34 AM
    I went to the Microsoft Store in South Coast Plaza to check their phones. The one Lumia 900 I tested didn't have the rattle. I then went to my local AT&T store and tested both display phones and they both exhibited the rattle. I'm hoping it's just the first batch of phones. On my phone, the rattle seems to be coming from the top of the phone where people are saying it's the auto focus lens. It very well could be the reason, but the rattle seems excessive.
    04-18-2012 11:31 AM
    Yeah I'll be switching mine out right before my 30 days, my girlfriend's does not do it

04-18-2012 02:52 PM
    Video:

Is that protective tape on the chrome part of the back? None of the Lumia's we have purchased (3) have had this.
    04-18-2012 05:41 PM
    Thats not normal lol. Return it for an exchange.
    04-18-2012 06:18 PM
    Noticed mine rattle in the library today.. Christ, that sound is annoying. Worst part is I can't exchange it because AT&T stores around me only have black in stock.
    04-19-2012 02:00 PM
    Mine has kind of a harsh mechanical buzz that accompanies the vibrator when the phone's ringing. The milder haptic-feedback vibration doesn't seem to excite the buzz.

It is not a killer flaw, but it definitely takes away from the 'solid quality' feel that Nokia is known for (or I assume would like to be known for). Kind of like flexy hinges back in the flip-phone days.

I assume there's a thin stamped metal chassis piece somewhere inside that's resonating and slapping against something else. As the months go by and we get some teardown reports (anyone seen any yet?), maybe we'll figure out what's doing it and be able to fix it. Hopefully it is not something important (like say the display flex circuit connector) that will fatigue and break in a year.

To me this is not return-the-phone awful, though it does lower the barrier if some other semi-flaw pops up in the next week or two.

My phone's from Korea by the way, is there more than one factory making these?
    04-19-2012 02:32 PM
    I had a Titan a while back and it did it too, There are a few small issues like this that I have only noticed on 2nd Gen hardware... so weird.
    04-20-2012 12:09 PM
    I traded in my cyan lumia that had a weird vibrate rattle for a white one that does not rattle. So glad
    04-22-2012 10:30 AM
    I traded in my cyan lumia that had a weird vibrate rattle for a white one that does not rattle. So glad
    I'm going to attempt to do the same today. Here's what mine sounds like.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzl6E8AP8aE[/YT]
    04-22-2012 01:17 PM
    if your phone sounds like that, exchange it. My launch one sounded just like that and now my new one sounds great!
    04-22-2012 02:28 PM
    My white one doesn't rattle. On the whole it seems more solid. The buttons are more sturdy. My cyan rattled before I traded it in.
    04-22-2012 04:25 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD