07-01-2013 09:37 AM
46 12
tools
    Hey guys......I decided to go through ATT's insurance. Come to find out that the deductible was only $125. I'm alot happier now. The only thing bad thing was they were out of the cyan color. It's better than having a cracked screen right? Thanks for all you guy's advise. For the meantime, I was using my old Samsung focus. I'm telling you, using a Focus to a Lumia is night and day. Now I can't wait for my phone to come in.
    04-17-2012 07:45 AM
    did you have on a screen protector??

a good one could have minimized the damage as it would have spread the impact around
    Yup, I did have a screen protector on it too. I think a screen protector can only do soo much.
    04-17-2012 07:46 AM
    Just fix it yourself. Nokia has done a really good job making it sure easy to remove the lcd/digitizer. I have fixed a lot of idevices for friends and they are a nightmare compared to the lumia 900. See the breakdown video posted on wpcentral a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it appears that you can't get any cheap knock-off replacement screens yet like you can for the devices. Anyone know where to get replacement parts at a good price?
    04-17-2012 09:40 AM
    I dropped my Lumia 710 yesterday from a bit higher than waist high. It landed on a concrete sidewalk and skipped a couple of times. I may have even accidentally kicked it as I lunged to get it.
    It's perfectly fine except for a small scratch on the corner of the casing. I was very impressed.
    04-17-2012 09:48 AM
    How high is your waist??

I would start trolling eBay for a new phone. Maybe somebody unloading a Focus S. Either that or drop the 2 bills on the replacement.
    04-17-2012 11:19 AM
    Yup, I did have a screen protector on it too. I think a screen protector can only do soo much.
    Wow. You must be really unlucky. With a screen protector on, you get a extra coat that removies the vibration (resonance) and therefore should live through the worst case scenaros. I have never heard of a phone with a screen protector ( minus iaphone, I have the case of deaf ear when sentences start with i) get broken. Not saying its in-destructible because of a protector. You just broke a winning statistics i been telling friends rigorously. I bought the nice blank protector for my Titan and the good thing with thouse are there barely visible.
    04-17-2012 11:25 AM
    I think you should find someone with a iPhone and beat the crap out of them. Then when your done turn to someone with a blackberry, give them a hug and a sorry. That would make you feel better.
    phirefly likes this.
    04-17-2012 11:32 AM
    I broke mine, dropped it from 2 feet onto concrete, out of my gym bag. I suspect this is going to be common. That phone is really quite fragile.

image here
    04-17-2012 12:50 PM
    Yikes. It's looking like the Lumia 900 is more fragile than the 800. I know that the 800's sheet of Gorilla Glass is thicker than the 900's. Not to mention its curved, which also absorbs a bit more impact.

A bit disappointing for Nokia's stellar hardware quality standards. Still better than most other handsets out there I'm sure, but I wonder why they didn't enforce the 900 with glass as thick as they did with the 800. Cost cutting? Trying to keep the phone a lighter weight perhaps? It almost feels like my 800 is in fact heavier than my 900.
    04-17-2012 01:35 PM
    my brother's lumia 800 screen also cracked af... on Twitpic

my brother's lumia 800 with a cracked screen. Nokia care charged SGD207 to have the screen repaired.
    Wow. I dropped my 800 a bunch of times and that never happened. Guess I was lucky. Looks like he even had the skin that comes with the phone around it as well.
    04-17-2012 01:38 PM
    I would use a 3rd party shop. I used igsm wireless solutions out of Belevue, Wa. It cost $75 for the cost of the screen and labor.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    I was just on the phone with the IGSM guys. They quote $250 to repair a broken Lumia 900 display. They claim $30 in labor and $220 for parts.
    07-10-2012 04:34 PM
    You can get a new 900 on Ebay for $250.
    07-10-2012 08:44 PM
    I was just on the phone with the IGSM guys. They quote $250 to repair a broken Lumia 900 display. They claim $30 in labor and $220 for parts.
    Lol, a screen costs $220?
    07-10-2012 09:17 PM
    Wow, I just picked up a great condition used one on ebay for that!!!
    07-11-2012 10:49 AM
    ****, I'll sell you my mint cyan 900 for $250. I'll even ship it free.
    07-11-2012 11:07 AM
    The Lumia 900 does have Gorilla Glass, but Gorilla Glass is still glass. It's not shatterproof, it's just MUCH harder to crack or scratch than normal glass. Unfortunately if the phone is dropped, the result really just depends on how it hits the ground. iPhones have Gorilla Glass too and they get cracked/smashed all the time.

I would follow Jet Life's advice and check with Nokia to see what repair would cost as it's possible it could be a little less expensive than the deductible. Either way though you should figure on this costing you at least $100, probably more.

Sorry to hear this happened, I know that can be upsetting.

Definitely get a case if you don't have one already. I don't like having a bulky case personally, so I just use the "bumper" type case that runs around the perimeter of the phone, but I always keep it on there and it does afford a decent amount of protection to the most vulnerable parts of the phone by deflecting/dispersing the shock if it falls and lands on one of the corners or narrow edges. It's saved me a few times already.
    07-11-2012 05:38 PM
    I guess that video of the guy hitting the phone with the hammer is bull.
    07-16-2012 07:03 PM
    Video of battery and screen replacement.

cckgz4 likes this.
    07-16-2012 07:18 PM
    mate who said gorilla glass drop proof? shatter proof? scratch proof? You said that from what i know its just scratch resistance and tougher than ordinary glass.

Lastly it depends how the phone drop if you drop at the wrong angle the glass it then it will still break.
    07-16-2012 08:30 PM
    I guess that video of the guy hitting the phone with the hammer is bull.
    hello mate have u tried to hammer a nail? and drop? the fella said drop from waist how high is that waist? What is the angle did it drop? Whaat floor is did he drop on? Which impact zone it is? so dont blindly create your own assumption by some words.
    07-16-2012 08:39 PM
    Yep. The chance drop face down on concrete broke mine, finally. Many drops in past, no problem.
    07-01-2013 09:37 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD