cracked display.....what should I do?

fig#WP

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Gosh......this really sucks. I've been feeling down all day. I've only had this Lumia 900 for a week and now baaam....crack display (accidently dropped from the waist). I thought this phone would be tough enough to withstand a drop from the waist. Wasn't this phone supposed to use some sort of gorrilla glass? Or did I misread the specs
I don't know what I should do. I do have ATT's insurance included with my plan. But I think the deductible will be around $199. That's more than what I wanted to pay.
Anyhow, for those who own a Lumia 900, this is a precaution as the display is a bit fragile and may not be made of gorrilla glass.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think it really just depends on how it landed. I had the Titan dropped it from waist high and it completely shattered the screen but it landed face down.

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I know it sucks, but that definitely is unusable in it's current state. I know there's a lot of third party shops around that will replace the displays. It may be cheaper to go that route rather than using your AT&T insurance.

elmopio

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
That is a bad *** drop. Looks like the main impact happened top right hand corner. What insurance plan did you decide on?

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Did u buy with American Express? They have 90 day accidental protection warranty (for price paid of phone , not retail but true out of pocket cost)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would use a 3rd party shop. I used igsm wireless solutions out of Belevue, Wa. It cost $75 for the cost of the screen and labor.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd call Nokia and see how much repairs are. Apple would repair broken screens for less than the deductible at&t charges. So yeah, call Nokia

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap. The Lumia 900 is supposed to be the same materials as the 800. I dropped my 800 a bunch of times, including face down on concrete once, and I didn't even get a scratch on the glass.

Stupid question, but are you sure this was only a waist-high drop?

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is xyz resistant and not xyz proof. I dropped my Samsung Focus a month after I got it last year and cracked the Gorilla Glass as well. Cost me $150 to replace the digitizer from Samsung.

Put a screen protector and a case around it.

Good luck.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Gosh......this really sucks. I've been feeling down all day. I've only had this Lumia 900 for a week and now baaam....crack display (accidently dropped from the waist). I thought this phone would be tough enough to withstand a drop from the waist. Wasn't this phone supposed to use some sort of gorrilla glass? Or did I misread the specs
I don't know what I should do. I do have ATT's insurance included with my plan. But I think the deductible will be around $199. That's more than what I wanted to pay.
Anyhow, for those who own a Lumia 900, this is a precaution as the display is a bit fragile and may not be made of gorrilla glass.
1. Generally Gorilla glass is known as scratch-resistant not break-resistant.
2. The physics behind the drop is that, it all depends on the angle and moment of impact.
So, as an example it is very possible that a phone dropped from 1ft height can break compared to a phone dropped from 3 ft height, all depending on the angle and moment of impact.

So, that's why even though Nokia's phones or any other phones are durable and solidly built, there is no guarantee against damage from drop.
As they say YMMV.

You were unlucky. That's all we can say.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Generally Gorilla glass is known as scratch-resistant not break-resistant.
2. The physics behind the drop is that, it all depends on the angle and moment of impact.
So, as an example it is very possible that a phone dropped from 1ft height can break compared to a phone dropped from 3 ft height, all depending on the angle and moment of impact.

So, that's why even though Nokia's phones or any other phones are durable and solidly built, there is no guarantee against damage from drop.
As they say YMMV.

You were unlucky. That's all we can say.

Well it depends on the density of the glass as well. Some companies use a thicker block of glass. By most accounts, the glass on the Lumia 800 is a little thicker (and probably more crack-resistant) than the 900. Still, the Lumia 900's build quality (including glass) easily eclipse that of, say, the iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett