Lumia 900 overheating plus battery problem?

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I looked a good 6-7 pages back in the forum as I thought I had seen a thread, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Anyway, I've noticed that sometimes my phone will get quite warm and this has been coinciding with a severe drop in battery performance. I'm suspecting the cause is a background app, probably EchoEcho, but I'm not certain. I'm going to charge up and turn that app off and see if that does the trick.

The only other time I've noticed a heat build-up is when I took my phone into a locker room, stuck it in a locker and came back about 40 min later. That area is notorious for very weak cell signal, so I'm thinking that the phone got hot trying to find reception.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a way to resolve it? Or is my phone defective? I didn't notice any heating up the first 5 days I owned it, so it's a little disconcerting.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed excessive warning, once in a while, on every single smartphone I've owned. It could be from various things, like background apps or using your phone while plugged into a charger. If the phone doesn't turn off, then it's not overheating.

ratfester

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
My gets pretty warm and the battery goes quick playing Wordament, which is weird since it's just a bunch of letters on the screen, doesn't seem like it would be too intensive.

Tallguy0187

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Overheat

I seem to have the same issue. The phone gets crazy hot and battery life starts to drop.
I can't seem to figure out when it starts.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Several days the past week I used mu L900 for 5-6 hours straight, with a portable USB charger tethered to it, and no excess heating. Only got slightly warm. No issues.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i think all smart phones suffer from this. i only notice warming when GPS is on and while playing games for an extended amount of time and i have seen this on every smartphone that i''ve owned. also notice you get the same warming from your laptops and computers they just have fans to scatter the heat around phones don't. those processors get warm.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine's doing the same thing. I first noticed when I was driving through a canyon where there's no cell phone coverage. The phone gets really warm in the pocket I have to take it out. The second and third time i noticed was when I walked into buildings with low to weak coverage (but still has signal). I'm suspecting it's something to do with how phone handles the receptions. I'm debating if i should return the phone just in case it's a hardware issue.

jsntrenkelr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any heat other than than the normal warm that all my recent smartphones have achieved, but man do I love this phone.

HifiGuy900

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia works fine but my wife's cyan lumia was becoming real hot (not warm). After the update it was better but I swapped it nonetheless for a newer one to be on the safer side. the one works fine.

waynejk

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Bump? Did anyone find a "fix" for this? I recently switched to a cyan Nokia 900, coming from a Focus S and before that an HD7, and have not experienced this before. I've had to power cycle the phone a few times during the course of a single day as well. The most problematic was driving thru a low coverage area when my phone got noticably warmer and the battery maybe lasted a total of 6 hours. Only had it for a week or two, should I exchange it?

waynejk

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes. You just have one of the remaining lemon units. It definitely should not do that. My replacement works great and I love the phone more than ever.
Thanks for the advice apoc527! I swapped my phone today for another cyan Lumia 900 and already the new one is MUCH better. I don't even have the purple keyboard anymore. Granted it's only been about 10-hours (placebo effect?) but it seems more responsive and more stable altogether. *knocks wood* I was regretting the switch from the Focus S, but now I'm not. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
i think all smart phones suffer from this. i only notice warming when GPS is on and while playing games for an extended amount of time and i have seen this on every smartphone that i''ve owned. also notice you get the same warming from your laptops and computers they just have fans to scatter the heat around phones don't. those processors get warm.

This.

It's normal. Unless the phone is getting so hot that it's almost uncomfortable to hold, there's nothing to be alarmed about.

My phone very rarely gets more than a little warm, even when I'm streaming a Netflix movie to it over WiFi. However, I have good signal strength in my area and I don't have a bunch of crap running in the background. The only tile I let live update is weather. I also turn the battery saver on much of the time, at least 1/2 the day. That keeps the phone from checking my friend's Facebook statuses and my 3 email accounts every 5 minutes, which I really find unnecessary when I'm at work. I usually switch the battery saver off when I'm not at work though.

I suspect what is happening here is people have a lot of background services turned on, or possibly poorly coded apps. A weak signal area that forces the radio to keep scanning could cause this as well.

I would take a look at what you've got running in the background. See if you have a bunch of apps/tiles that are allowed to constantly update themselves, you might consider which ones are really necessary to have updated constantly. If nothing else, you'll gain a lot of battery life by keeping those in check. It only takes a second to update a tile manually anyway. I don't need everything updating every 2 minutes, I don't stare at my phone screen waiting for tile updates all day long. I can tap a tile if I want a CNN update.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with socialcarpet, I don't need anything running in the background. If I need info I don't mind letting the app reload when I open it. LinkedIn is a good example. It was running in the background when I first downloaded it but I killed that since I only open the app maybe once a day or even every other day sometimes. Why would I want it running all day if I don't even open it once that day??

davegarbs

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am having this same problem. It seems to occur right after I end a phone call and continue until I notice the phone heating up in my pocket. In this case, when I got to it, the phone was pulling 350+ milliamps from the battery, which seems outrageous.

I only have two processes set to run in the background, Nextgen Reader and Weather Flow...

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 900 gets hot after using it on LTE for about 30min. On WiFi it takes a bit longer for it to get hot. I have noticed significantly reduced battery life but this also happened to my Focus but my Lumia 900 gets worse battery life than my focus. My Lumia 900 began to have a shorter battery life after I had it charging and was using it on WiFi, the phone began to get hot but I kept using it for about an hr more and then left it to charge overnight. There are people on XDA forums with similar problems. Lumia 900 Battery Life - xda-developers also there are people on nokia conversations with the same battery life problems but nobody from Nokia had responded to any of the threads.

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this same problem. I thought it was some background tasks at first, but definitely not. I expect the phone to get warm when I'm playing games, not uncomfortably hot when signal is weak. Also, I've seen my battery life drop 70-80% within 3 hours while signal's weak. The only way I've found to stop the battery from draining more is to turn the phone off and back on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99