Purplish keyboard/grays on low brightness.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I just got a replacement today and this starts out at purple with brightness on auto. Weird!

Glad to know I am not the only one. :)

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I am kind of liking the purple. It is different and I don't believe it is detrimental to the phone in any way.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am kind of liking the purple. It is different and I don't believe it is detrimental to the phone in any way.

On certain things like photos it can really degrade the look of the picture.

Not a big deal most of the time but I've had to change my wallpaper now from a photo I loved that a professional photographer took of my car to a generic wallpaper and have also removed the photo from my favorites so I don't see it cycle through on my pictures tile.

Rafael Rivera

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, picked up a white Lumia 900. Same purple issue. I suspect this is purely a software issue -- like your monitor, these screens have temperature/color settings. But sadly their Diagnostics software doesn't have a way to tweak it. Shame, means a return is likely in order...

tewill

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement for my black Lumia 900, which had a dead pixel, and the replacement has this purple problem, whereas my original phone does not. I chatted online with a Nokia rep who said they had not heard of the issue, but then called in to Nokia and spoke with someone who said he had heard of it, and he assumed they would release a fix for it, but when pressed he said he was not sure if or when that would happen.

When I said I'd likely return it b/c I just received it, he said that would probably be the best course of action.

I'm a bit concerned b/c I got mine from Amazon and can't be sure the next replacement won't have the same problem. I'm guessing it might be an issue of the lesser of two evils: dead pixel on my original phone vs. purple cast on a replacement.

What is interesting to me too is that my original phone shows fingerprints like crazy - on both the screen and the body - but the replacement with the purple problem doesn't show fingerprints anywhere, as if it has some sort of fingerprint-proof treatment all over it. Not sure if that could have something to do with the purple problem? Definitely a shame, as I like how the replacement doesn't show fingerprints. Also, the replacement came with a green dot on the box.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My new White (a replacement for a cyan with data issues) has this too. While a bit of a disappointment, and I'm hopeful a software fix down the line might take care of it, I'm otherwise really loving my new phone and will live with it. On an OS that otherwise pays such attention to design and detail, it's a jarring thing. I hope they fix it.

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue on my first cyan Lumia. Was able to swap it out for a new cyan unit with no issues. According to the salesperson I talked to, as long as you don't change what color you have you don't have to pay the restocking fee AND you still have one free replacement within 30 days of initial purchase. It's definitely worth trading it in. The screen looks so much better now.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So, if there are some phones without the issue and some with it, is it a hardware defect or a software problem?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I returned my 900 because it had a bad speaker. I had been using my replacement for a few hours and knew something wasn't the same visually, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I saw this thread.

The hue is very annoying to me, especially since I spend 90% of the time indoors.

What to do????...

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's like all of us that had original 900s that we got on the 6th didn't have the issue. Now when we return on of the original data issue phones we get replacements with weird screens.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I returned my 900 because it had a bad speaker. I had been using my replacement for a few hours and knew something wasn't the same visually, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I saw this thread.

The hue is very annoying to me, especially since I spend 90% of the time indoors.

What to do????...

Can you just put it on medium brightness? Does it look fine then?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Great, I was going to try and swap out mine to see if I can get one without the vibrate rattle, but the screen issue would bother me way more than the rattle. My current phone doesn't have this.

aer147

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Just swapped out the Black Lumia 900 yesterday for a White one :) (I had battery issues with my original one). Did not pay any re-stocking fee. I did notice the blue keyboard issue with a few of the applications but for some reason, it's gone this morning. I'm not sure if it's a result of me updating the software or something else that could have changed it.

I must say...the new one does seem a little different (a lot faster...and better battery life so far). And the color is just beautiful! I did notice quite a few scratches on the model at the AT&T store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786