Purplish keyboard/grays on low brightness.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just swapped out the Black Lumia 900 yesterday for a White one :) (I had battery issues with my original one). Did not pay any re-stocking fee. I did notice the blue keyboard issue with a few of the applications but for some reason, it's gone this morning. I'm not sure if it's a result of me updating the software or something else that could have changed it.

I must say...the new one does seem a little different (a lot faster...and better battery life so far). And the color is just beautiful! I did notice quite a few scratches on the model at the AT&T store.

It might have gone away because your phone's auto-brightness hasn't gone down to the lowest level.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I returned my 900 because it had a bad speaker. I had been using my replacement for a few hours and knew something wasn't the same visually, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I saw this thread.

The hue is very annoying to me, especially since I spend 90% of the time indoors.

What to do????...

I'm seriously contemplating returning it, but I hate the return process. I feel like they think I'm trying to screw them or something. For those that have returned for this reason, have you met much resistance?

Even though I made one return (for warranty, with no $35 fee), am I still entitled to return it for a refund or exchange it for another model phone for the $35 fee?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It's like all of us that had original 900s that we got on the 6th didn't have the issue. Now when we return on of the original data issue phones we get replacements with weird screens.
Got mine on the 6th (black). No purple screen. No data issue, pre-post update. Yes, a little rattle if I carefully tap above the camera, but that doesn't bother me. Nor does the "different" sounding vibration. Got used to that by the second day. Enjoying my phone rather than looking for problems. The little software glitches will get corrected shortly. I have confidence in Nokia. They have a lot at stake.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Im seeing this with my white one too. On top of that some colors are off. For example the app im writing the color #cccccc would appear greenish on my lumia while it display fine on the titan. The other element with the same color would display correctly. i already exchanged once for the lte issue, not sure if i want to go again. How can we get the word out?

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got my white one Sunday and noticed purplish tint soon as I got home. And overall l think the colors seem a little gaudy and saturated compared to the Quantum I used for 14 months.
Also seeing a faint "scan line" zooming down the screen when the keyboard is up.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

anon(5328495)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This just sucks. I bought Nokia Lumia 900(cyan) on April 9th(bday gift) and it had keyboard rattling issue as mentioned here(http://www.windowscentral.com/lingering-issues-nokia-lumia-900-purple-screens-dead-buttons-rattles) so this afternoon i went to store to exchange it. I got the new lumia 900 and i found it didn't had any keyboard rattling issue. On the way back, tried to use my phone and found the keyboard being purple. I took it back in the store and since the lights were all bright in store, i couldn't reproduce the issue. I came home and found the keyboard purple again. I really wish Nokia fix this issue with the software update or recall the hardware. I love the phone but all these small issues have started giving me second thought on phone. It's like from frying pan to fire. Happy Windows Phone user but Sad Nokia user. :(

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Looks like this is a hardware issue and has happened before to the N8 and C7. Here is a thread from the European Nokia forums and there are videos on youtube as well:

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia n8 display issue - purple screen - Nokia Support Discussions

Another thread, with requests for mods not to delete it. :shocked:

Nokia Support Discussions - N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU H... - Nokia Support Discussions

What is interesting is someone mentioned this fact on the US Nokia WP forum and the post was deleted. I exchanged my 1st 900 and the replacement from Amazon had the purple screen problem. I am going to speak to them and depending on their willingness to keep exchanging I will probably return the 900 and go back to Tmo and wait for something later in the year.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
?.... On the way back, tried to use my phone and found the keyboard being purple. I took it back in the store and since the lights were all bright in store, i couldn't reproduce the issue. I came home and found the keyboard purple again. I really wish Nokia fix this issue with the software update or recall the hardware. I love the phone but all these small issues have started giving me second thought on phone. It's like from frying pan to fire. Happy Windows Phone user but Sad Nokia user. :(
If you want to replicate the purple tinge at the store, put the screen on low brightness and you will see the purple no matter how bright the store lights are.

bmhillegass87

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my cyan for white (cyan had the rattle and flush power button) and noticed the purple keys right away since I use low auto brightness a lot. However, changing phones was annoying enough (the sales person was wonderfully pleasant just was cumbersome). I feel like I am just going to live with the issue till we get a possible firmware update. I love the phone so much this is something I am willing to overlook. I will say Nokia does need to improve the quality control, but overall very satisfied with both models I had.

nokiaqueen

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
so I finally got the white Lumia...there was only one in the store..that's it! I exchanged my cyan lumia for white and it's absolutely gorgeous. However when I got home, I too noticed the purplish screen =/ my cyan didn't have any such issues...the only prob with my cyan was freezing at times upon data connection use...I guess I'll test the phone out more to see how well it's functioning..the purplish screen is bothersome but I can't even exchange it as there is such a limited supply out there. Nokia needs to send an update to fix this ASAP!

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I picked a white one up friday and its pretty bad. Am going to take it back tomorrow. the Purple drives me crazy. I also have the problem with the camera not always waking up from the lock screen.

mayoo

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Fix coming on May 14th .. this is software issue ..

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is ... - Nokia Support Discussions

AT&T called their Nokia rep regarding this issue. Nokia is scheduled to release an update by May 14th to address the purplish tint. (They expect it to be released sooner, but promised by May 14th). AT&T extended my 30 day window to allow me to return after may 14th if the software fix doesn't address the problem. If your 30 day window is approaching I'd call AT&T to extend it.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my first white Lumia 900 on 5/5 for a second white Lumia 900 because of terrible audio quality on the video. I find that my new Lumia does not have the purplish tint no matter what light setting I'm on. Yay!

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
so I finally got the white Lumia...there was only one in the store..that's it! I exchanged my cyan lumia for white and it's absolutely gorgeous. However when I got home, I too noticed the purplish screen =/ my cyan didn't have any such issues...the only prob with my cyan was freezing at times upon data connection use...I guess I'll test the phone out more to see how well it's functioning..the purplish screen is bothersome but I can't even exchange it as there is such a limited supply out there. Nokia needs to send an update to fix this ASAP!

Just turn the auto-brightness off for now. When the fix comes out you will be all set.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think they are just going to up the brightness for low brightness. They could never fix the issue on their N8's because it was a bad screen. Same exact issue on Samsung Galaxy's, N8's, and now 900's. All affecting the grays, I still think it is a hardware problem for some reason.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I believe all new inventory has this problem. I'd to exchange my phone for a different reason. When I got the new one home, I freaked out looking at the purple ting when the brightness went low. It's just not the key board, it's the dial pad, it's the panover menu, etc. Everything on the phone that is Grey in color turns Purple when in low brightness.

I went to 4 different stores to look for an exchange and all of them have the same issue. Some stores argued with me that it's intended function, but I asked them to take out the ones they were using or the Black and Cyan ones that were on display and showed them they do not have the same issue. Every White NL900 I've seen has this issue.

So, if you want my theory, every device that came out after the first batch of the devices at launch has this problem.

It use to bother me. But now I changed my brightness from Auto to Medium and so that it never goes to low brightness setting. Surprisingly, I did not see any impact to the battery. I am happy and waiting for the fix to hit us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb