Anyone Keeping Lumia 900 past 30 days?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay so i left iOS and Android to comeback to WP and I do love WP. Can i ask an honest question, will any of you be returning the Lumia 900 before the 30 days is up? I ask this because since our phone has been released (rushed to market) its been plagued by some issues.

I thank them for getting a software fix out asap to address the data issue however no one from Nokia or Microsoft has even addressed the camera which is a big selling point. You just don't throw carl zeiss around and make statements at CES and Mobile World Congress about how powerful this camera would be for it not to be true. I am going to try and tough it out until the next nokia release but this is starting to upset me that they are not even addressing how bad this is. And for those folks that say this is a cell phone not a camera i agree however if they advertise it one way it should perform that way. what are your thoughts folks? :dry

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping it. I'm very hopeful that a camera update will come. Check out my post under "Pictures taken with Lumia 900" and see how big of a difference a photo editor makes on the picture. If Nokia can only make those adjustments to their camera software we'd have quite a phone.

brotherqwerty

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
huh?

Do we even have the same phone? Of course I am keeping it past 30 days it is the best phone I have ever owned. I can't believe I was trying to hold out on my iPhone 4 for an iPhone 5

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm certain they will release a fix. There's just no way it's a hardware issue.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Camera on Nokia Lumia 900 is missing the BSI for low light.

Apple iPhone 4s, HTC high end phones including the Mytouch 4g slide and more recent models like the one x, and Samsung S2 models all use BSI. The htc Titan 2 has excellent camera with BSI. It should be standard in most high end phones automatically

Even apple iPhone 4 released in 2010 has a BSI with its 5mp camera.

So Nokia while known for optics really took a short cut by leaving out the BSI on the lumia 900. Maybe this saves them $15? In costs?

I love a lot of things about this phone but I hate the camera. If camera and shooting in low light is important to u. Than return the phone. No software will fix a missing piece of hardware.

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure yet.

I'm a long time iOS user. In many ways, it's apples & oranges. Some things iOS does better, some things WP7 does better. both have a great user experience, and Windows Phone Connector is an *excellent* move - you don't have to give up iTunes on the mac.

However, there are some things in WP7 that remind me (unpleasantly) of the original iPhone. Non-features that don't make sense...and are hard to forgive since it's not 2007 anymore. Low screen resolution. Lack of screen orientation lock. 16GB limit. rough cut-and paste, inability to pass files between apps, no file storage apps, no google talk integration, Can't access synced folders on the Skydrive mobile app. i could go on.

I have been waiting since iPhone 1 for something else to come along that was (to me) worth buying. ironically enough, THIS is the OS that feels like a "beta test" to me.

All that said: I really, really like this phone. I want to keep it, and i'm giving it its fair shake.

May 7th i'll make my decision.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am keeping mine. I didn't buy this phone for the camera anyways. I put a lot of thought into my purchases, and rarely return products once I buy.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
It cost Nokia $200-230 to manufacture the lumia 900. That doesn't even include the advertising and research and development cost.

The msrp is $450 for the lumia 900. AT&T probably is buying the Lumia 900 in bulk for closer to $300-350 price. So Nokia profit margin is extremely thin for this device.

It cost Samsung around the same for their galaxy phones and they sell in bulk for roughly $400 to the carrier. Forget msrp. With the except of Apple. Carrier paid much less than msrp to manufactures.

Sprint CEO already stated iPhone cost his compnay 40% more than any other phone.

So apple cost $220 to build the iPhone mainly because they prepay cash for their parts and get better discounts and msrp is $650. Manufacters buy in bulk for close to $600.

So in a nut shell. Nokia had to take some shortcuts to save on costs. And they took out the BSI for the camera. Thus the complaints.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay so i left iOS and Android to comeback to WP and I do love WP. Can i ask an honest question, will any of you be returning the Lumia 900 before the 30 days is up? I ask this because since our phone has been released (rushed to market) its been plagued by some issues.

I thank them for getting a software fix out asap to address the data issue however no one from Nokia or Microsoft has even addressed the camera which is a big selling point. You just don't throw carl zeiss around and make statements at CES and Mobile World Congress about how powerful this camera would be for it not to be true. I am going to try and tough it out until the next nokia release but this is starting to upset me that they are not even addressing how bad this is. And for those folks that say this is a cell phone not a camera i agree however if they advertise it one way it should perform that way. what are your thoughts folks? :dry

Plagues with some issues? Exaggeration on your behalf.

And we have another thread complaining about the camera. You're another one that didn't do his research and read reviews prior to the Lumia 900 release. I say this because if you did, you wouldn't be so disappointed with your Lumia 900 camera. I say return yours asap because if you rely on a cellphone to be your one and only camera you will be further disappointed. I personally think it's foolish to expect any cellphone's camera to be spectacular but that's just my opinion. I always thought a cell phone camera was only to "capture the moment" and not used to take Ansel Adams like pictures.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Right, but this a flagship device and should show off the power of what Nokia can create. The camera should be the 12 mp in their N8, there shouldn't be fingerprints on the display, the display shouldn't be flat, and there should be 32 GB of memory. People will pay the extra 100$ for a device they will have to keep for 2 years if it is as good as it gets.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Shortcuts taken by Nokia:

No BSI Senor
No anti fingerprint screen :)blush:)

There is not one display out there that doesn't attract finger prints. The Lumia 900 isn't any different. Even the iPhone 4S screen with it's Oleophobic coating attracts just as much finger prints as the Lumia 900, don't believe the hype.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping it. I'm very hopeful that a camera update will come. Check out my post under "Pictures taken with Lumia 900" and see how big of a difference a photo editor makes on the picture. If Nokia can only make those adjustments to their camera software we'd have quite a phone.

i will check that out.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Right, but this a flagship device and should show off the power of what Nokia can create. The camera should be the 12 mp in their N8, there shouldn't be fingerprints on the display, the display shouldn't be flat, and there should be 32 GB of memory. People will pay the extra 100$ for a device they will have to keep for 2 years if it is as good as it gets.

They had to keep it cost down to enter the Market as a flagship windows phone. It's only $99 on contract and $449 off contract. If you include all those bells and whistles the price will go up and Nokia/Microsoft loses potential customers. It's so popular because at it's price, build quality and features are right on point. It's a best seller because of of what exactly it includes and doesn't include. Great move by Nokia IMO.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
There is not one display out there that doesn't attract finger prints. The Lumia 900 isn't any different. Even the iPhone 4S screen with it's Oleophobic coating attracts just as much finger prints as the Lumia 900, don't believe the hype.
Oh I understand there is no way to get rid if fingerprints, but I'm positive both the Focus S and Titan's screens don't attract as many fingerprints. The Oleophobic would have been nice because it does do some good to the screen, but simply putting a screen protector over the device will fix the fingerprint "issue."

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping mine. Possibly might exchange it though. Starting to get echoes when I make calls (other people here me echoing), and the possible camera defect of the sensor not letting in enough light. I'm beyond satisfied with how Windows Phone 7 caters. App hasn't been a problem at all. Just a couple minor things here and there.

I do agree though on the points brought up regarding this being a flagship device.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
They had to keep it cost down to enter the Market as a flagship windows phone. It's only $99 on contract and $449 off contract. If you include all those bells and whistles the price will go up and Nokia/Microsoft loses potential customers. It's so popular because at it's price, build quality and features are right on point. It's a best seller because of of what exactly it includes and doesn't include. Great move by Nokia IMO.
I agree the price is tempting, and maybe it is a good call so early in the "game," I would have just liked to have seen the Nokia Windows device blow all the others out of contention.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh I understand there is no way to get rid if fingerprints, but I'm positive both the Focus S and Titan's screens don't attract as many fingerprints. The Oleophobic would have been nice because it does do some good to the screen, but simply putting a screen protector over the device will fix the fingerprint "issue."

I have a Titan and an iPhone 4S and their displays attract just as much fingerprints so I don't know how you assume there are other device displays that attract less finger prints. "Oleophobic coating" is just a marketing ploy which offers absolutely nothing.

Glass is glass no matter how you put it. When you come up with a solution for a display to attract no finger prints give Nokia a call, I'm sure you'll make a killing with your revolutionary discovery.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Glass is glass no matter how you put it. When you come up with a solution for a display to attract no finger prints give Nokia a call, I'm sure you'll make a killing with your revolutionary discovery.
Again, I did not say it wouldn't attract fingerprints, just not as many.
Fingerprints on Lumia 900 are more evident then other devices, just saying.

I'll give you credit for the inspiration :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss