Anyone Keeping Lumia 900 past 30 days?

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife the black version, bought her the magenta or pink case from amazon, qubits brand, changed theme to pink... Very nice looking. Like the idea of switching cases and changing theme to match the color so I went back and swapped for a black. Waiting on lime case and yes, keeping the phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
They had to keep it cost down to enter the Market as a flagship windows phone. It's only $99 on contract and $449 off contract. If you include all those bells and whistles the price will go up and Nokia/Microsoft loses potential customers. It's so popular because at it's price, build quality and features are right on point. It's a best seller because of of what exactly it includes and doesn't include. Great move by Nokia IMO.

I totally agree with this post, Nokia/MS/AT&T I do not think targeted this phone as strictly a "top of the line" phone in every aspect what they are looking to do is expand the customer base for WP7 as well as Nokia making its footprint known again in the North American market which it has neglected now for some time. At one point Nokia was very dominant in that market and many others but has lost a foothold.

We all can learn from the internet that at the current time there are certain features in WP7 which are behind the curve when you compare them to iOS and Android. But also need to take into account the actual age of the OS which is truly only 18 months or so in terms of public availability.

The Lumia 900 is high end at it's own price point of $99 on contract that is for absolute certain. I paid $199 for my Samsung Focus at launch and would consider the build quality on the 900 substantially better than my Focus. The people adopting WP7 and the New Nokia line of phones I think have definitely received an excellent phone and I suspect that they will (due to the expanding footprint) launch a wider range of phones over the next few years. Upcoming phones I am sure will have more focus on certain markets e.g. a Pureview Nokia WP8 phone I expect to see with people in mind who want to use their phones for more photography and other iterations with different target markets too.

In order to target a market though you need to have a broad footprint in the first place, the Lumia 900 sets the tone for Nokia in the US Market Place which can then be expanded and segmented.

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Focus until I realized that if you have "prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked" enabled (same menu in settings), the camera button is disabled when your finger covers the proximity sensor. I used to hold my phone in a way where my left hand covers the proximity sensor when I'm trying to unlock the phone to camera and it wasn't working until I stopped doing it.

Not saying you don't have a defective unit, but have you tried this?

that option is actually turned off for me....still can't get the thing to reliably turn on with that button.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
why would I not keep the phone. Its awesome. The camera takes decent enough pictures. combine it with something like fhotoroom and you can get some really good images out of it.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
You know i got this Nokia Lumia 900… Nice phone so far but im very disappointed with Microsoft because one would expect for them to throw everything behind the platform(like Google does) but yet they don’t… How can third parties support a platform that even their creator is lacking to support?
For example:
No Live Mesh Client
No Remote Desktop Client FROM MICROSOFT <—- This should be included BY DEFAULT on the OS!!!

the camera compared to the E4GT is bad... also mine has a nasty sound when it vibrates...

is going back to AT&T shelves….:mad:
why would you want to RDP on such a small screen ? if thats your critera, then why not get a new iPad and use that instead?

I do hope they (MS) put out a photosynth app though. But I am sure the apps will come in time as the platform and ecosystem gains more traction.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeaahhh. The consumers who have what, 4.5% if the market? Oh wait is now 3.5% of the market. Yeah anecdotal praise means dick to me. The UI while nice at first is now tiresome to me. Beyond the first couple layers its all rectangle shapes with zero gradient layers or any sophisticated designs. It's as if a computer engineer coded it in 1980s design. puhlezze.
That is why we have choices. If square tiles are not for you, please move on. Seems like your 4 posts so far have the same agenda that we call all see through. Do you really own a Nokia 900 or you just added it to your list just to look legitimate?

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
talking about the one x. I traded it for this phone with no regrets. Quad core dual core, every Android is the same to me. They still aren't stable and still force close 10 times a day. Sense crashes all the time due to being a memory hog. Amazing how the lumia with a single core is 20 times smoother and stable then my quad core one x ever was or will be.

swc_ant

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
that option is actually turned off for me....still can't get the thing to reliably turn on with that button.

Try this: Put the phone flat on the table, and pinch it with your right hand's thumb and index finger, with the index finger on the camera button. make sure to press the 2-stage button all the way down, and have nothing covering the proximity sensor. (try with different settings).

If this doesn't work still, you might have a defective unit.

Unless it's a software defect in the 900.

I don't have an 900 (yet) so that's all I can offer unless someone else can confirm.

Mengels7

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I give up. I hope the platform turns into something amazing but it has far too many drawbacks and I'm returning it today.

It's the music player that's really driving me to return it. I use my phone as my primary source of music in the car and away from home and I rely heavily on rating and playcount to keep my music in order. (Over 80 gigs from a ton of different artists.) Zune's heart system is just stupid.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Titan and an iPhone 4S and their displays attract just as much fingerprints so I don't know how you assume there are other device displays that attract less finger prints. "Oleophobic coating" is just a marketing ploy which offers absolutely nothing.

Glass is glass no matter how you put it. When you come up with a solution for a display to attract no finger prints give Nokia a call, I'm sure you'll make a killing with your revolutionary discovery.

Actually, no, it's not a marketing ploy that offers absolutely nothing.

It's actually a polymer the bond to the glass which repels skin oils. It's not 100% effective of course, but it does work to make the screen have LESS oily smears and fingerprints.

If you want to read more about it:

Giz Bill Nye Explains: The iPhone 3GS's Oleophobic Screen

Honestly I was thinking the Lumia might have something similar. There is definitely a difference between the surface of it's glass and the Android I used to have. My Lumia does not get smeared with fingerprints nearly as easily, and when it does get them a quick wipe gets them off, whereas my cheaper Android took more work.

I know they both have Gorilla Glass, so that's not it. Could be a difference in how the glass is finished, or possibly Nokia applies a similar coating to what Apple uses. There is absolutely a noticeable difference between different phones though.

LikeAChameleon

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I did what you are considering to do. I sold my focus s to get lumia 900 off contract...

Without a doubt, the camera on the focus S is significantly better than the lumia 900 camera. It is not even close. The ability to focus and capturing a shot even if there was slight movement is very good. I was able to capture nice shots in motion while in hawaii on a train, it was impressive.

The slightest movement on the 900, it will cause a blur on the object you are focusing on. You really need to be steady and use the auto focus whereas i didnt really have to do that with the focus S...

Then there is the issue with low lighted areas or indoors which would result in grainy looking pictures with a lot of noise. The autofix makes it lighter, but you can see the noise stand out.

If the camera is important, keep the focus S and wait till apollo comes out. Samsung will come out with a wp8 phone and probably will have a better camera than the focus S. I was impressed by the focus S camera, it was my main camera during my vacationing instead of my digi camera.

Everything else, i like the 900. The build, the feel, the screen, smoothness...

Only other issue i have with 900 is the smudgness you get on the screen and no replaceable battery.
Thanks for the response, dkp23! I've definitely been considering the Lumia ever since it was announced. I'm really happy with the Focus S, but I think it's the Lumia's bold design in addition to the great Nokia services that have me considering making a change. I had thought Carl Zeiss optics would be spectacular as well, but perhaps not as much as I thought.

I have a couple of other questions regarding the differences and making the change, but not sure if it's appropriate to post here. I'll PM you.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeaahhh. The consumers who have what, 4.5% if the market? Oh wait is now 3.5% of the market. Yeah anecdotal praise means dick to me. The UI while nice at first is now tiresome to me. Beyond the first couple layers its all rectangle shapes with zero gradient layers or any sophisticated designs. It's as if a computer engineer coded it in 1980s design. puhlezze.

Maybe Google and the Android OEMs should try and see if they can make a phone UI that doesn't stutter, jitter and stall instead of worrying about gradient layers and translucency.

Just a thought.

Form is supposed to follow function. Any designer with real talent and taste understands this, whether it's an engineer and architect or a developer. It is a principle that takes a back seat to window dressing and flashy bullish*t in the Android world though with it's tacky random array of stupid OEM skins like Sense and MotoBlur and TouchJizz. All lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

That's just the beginning of what's makes Android unappealing to me, I guess it's nice that at least Google offers one Nexus phone a year that isn't caked in crap out of the box. It's a start, but the rest of Android still sucks.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
why would I not keep the phone. Its awesome. The camera takes decent enough pictures. combine it with something like fhotoroom and you can get some really good images out of it.

Yeah but there's no Angry Birds Space or 35 indicator icons across the top of the screen. Windows Phone SUCKS! :lol:

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

seriously could you be a bigger google bangin spec whore?? You dont like the phone return it and delete your account but for all that is holy shut the F up and go away already. I don't even believe you have the phone, you have all of 5 posts all bashing the phone, windows phone etc etc your a troll living in larry paiges basement

PTZ

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My son bought one the first day. He has given the Nokia a workout and really likes it. I doubt he has even entertained the thought of returning it, he likes it so much. He has gotten several of his friends interested in getting one too. Just thought I would report a happy owner at my house. He likes the camera?

redbluff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Returned mine today. It was too big and heavy. Poor camera. Going back to Focus Flash but staying with WP7.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05