Anyone Keeping Lumia 900 past 30 days?

jsntrenkelr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I like the size just picked one up. Was using the lumia 800 for the last couple days. I like the larger size, now I have to put the 800 on craigslist.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
i have to agree the size thing has been on the radar since CES and MWC.

its like some of these people, were blind or didnt do any research at all before purchasing the phone, or OS switch. WTF people do you expet everything handed to you by salesmen do some damn research!!! Is this how you buy cars or homes?? No wonder our country is in the its in!

Last edited by a moderator:

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
why would you want to RDP on such a small screen ? if thats your critera, then why not get a new iPad and use that instead?

I do hope they (MS) put out a photosynth app though. But I am sure the apps will come in time as the platform and ecosystem gains more traction.

Well that's the problem Microsoft has a lot of services but not many of them has an app for wp7.. They should be the first throwing everything at the platform and 3rd parties will follow. Google does this already and apple although they don't have many services as MS and google does it too. Microsoft is being lazy...

As for an rdp client I use it to do simple tasks such as reseting an account or verify something quick while not in the office and this screen will work just fine! If you don't have a use for it that's you I know I do and that's something MS need to work with to get the platform running and not die like WebOS did... If this OS is going to grow in to tablets it will need an rdp client and alike apps

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
No plans to go back. Anyone looking to buy a well loved Titan?
I'll be keeping my Ace, even with the baby rattler of a vibrator and camera that wasn't much of a step up from the Titan. The slightly smaller screen is more than made up for by being much better in quality - easier on my tired old eyes. And the unit seems a tad faster. Its a keeper until a higher rez screen and multi-core CPU are available. Then it will be off to claim my discounted upgrade on the next best thing! ;-)

markwilk

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm also planning on returning it, mostly because of size and weight. After using a Focus (original) for the past 15 months (and a 3GS 18 months before that), the 900 feels like an anvil.

I made _several_ trips to the AT&T store before I purchased the phone. I held it in my hand. I walked around the store with it. I sat it side by side with my Focus. I even asked the associate if I could put it in my pants pocket to see how the size/weight felt. It all seemed fine and acceptable...until I took it home and started using it all day, every day.

I have average hands; and as a frequent one-handed phone user, I find it difficult to keep a grip on this thing. Honestly, I don't know how mere mortals can manage with these phones as they get larger and larger. The size, combined with the super smooth polycarbonate body, means that this phone WILL be dropped. Many times.

While the squared corners may be a "bold" design, one of these days they are going to tear through my pocket. Also, these corners can do a number on the palm of your hand, if you talk on the phone for any length of time.

I've also come to feel that larger screens are wasted space on these WP7 devices. Tiles that seemed reasonably sized on the 3.7" Focus screen seem clownishly huge on this device. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Metro UI...but oversized text on a phone like this is downright oppressive.

The downside to all this is that if I want a WP7 device with any sort of decent hardware or storage (more than 8GB), I have to go with a larger device. This may push me from the platform entirely (and back to an iPhone).

DarthJeter

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My company was paying for my last phone, a Samsung Focus. Recently, the company policy changed to a BYOD model (bring your own device), where they reimburse you for a portion of your cell phone bill, but you can use whatever phone you want. I liked the 900 from when they first announced it, so I decided to buy it. I either had the option of sticking with the Focus and letting my company pay for everything completely, or shell out the money for the new phone and pay a small portion of the bill.

After a few days with the phone, I've decided to definitely stick with the Lumia and hand in the Focus.

I did end up buying a Zagg Invisible Shield for the phone and it's been the best thing ever. The full body protection is great, and it makes the phone less slippery and more stable in my hand, yet still showing off the beautiful cyan.

Tersanyus

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be keeping mine. This is my first Windows Phone. I've had all iPhones except the very first one. My account with AT&T has 3 lines. Only two are really in use. The 3rd line was the line I'd use every other year to get the latest and greatest iPhone.

My main line is a Samsung Galaxy Note. That's a phone with a large 5.3" screen. Second line is an iPhone 4S. That used to be my primary phone but that one is now with my mother.

This 3rd line was eligible for an upgrade at the first of April. I was going to leave it alone will the next iPhone just to see what it was going to be. I decided I was done with iPhone despite all the money had tied up to iTunes. I definitely had no need for another Android.

Had been reading about this Lumia 900. I never really kept up with Windows Phone news but decided to read the reviews. Mostly because I have not seen a Nokia phone since like 2007.

So I decided to get the Lumia 900. Couple AT&T stores around me did not have it available. Checked Best Buy and only two out of about 15 in a 100 mile radius had it. Bought it online then picked it up in the store.

First trouble was they did not have LTE sim cards. Their system would not let the older 3G cards be used. What they ended up doing was taking a sim card from a brand new iPhone 4S and using that to activate my 900. That worked.

An hour after I activated the 900 it told me of the software update. I had purposely not upgraded it for a few more hours. I never lost data connection. So I downloaded Zune and did the update.

I have to say that Windows Phone seems more "fluid" to me than iOS and Android. These live tiles make the phone seem more alive than widgets on Android. And of course there's nothing really like that at all on iOS.

To me iOS phones have become, well to me at least, boring. Android is good for hacking and customizing (Note has unofficial Android 4.0.3 on it).

Now if my Note and the 900 used the same sized sim card I could much more easily move sims between them. That would let me use my primary number in the 900 to see how it would work for me on a daily basis.

So to summarize, I really like Windows Phone and the Lumia 900. Windows 8 will be using these tiles so at least with that I'll be used to it.

I don't care much about the camera. The only real gripes I have is I wish the network signal strength indicator stayed in the status bar all the time. I'd like it to show LTE all the time. Also wish the tiles were taking all the screen. Seems a bit of a waste to have all that black around the right and top.

rayj2B

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
This is my first WP and have to say I'm impressed with OS. I switched from a iPhone4 with ATT but still have the iPhone4s with Verizon. I love both these phones and only got the 900 as it has 4G LTE which I hope to see soon in my area. I've had Android phones and they didn't measure up to the 900 so far as I just got the 900 yesterday. After two years with the OG Droid with Verizon tried the Razr and Galaxy Nexus and just couldn't work with them for two years. So far the 900 has done everything that I do on the iPhone4s and most of the apps are available on the 900 too. As far as the camera I didn't buy this for the camera but for 4g LTE service so it doesn't matter if they update it. The price is also right at 99.99 and Nokia refunding 100 to my ATT account makes this a great upgrade phone which I'll give it at least 30 days to pass muster or it goes back to the store.
Hoping this phone works out as advertised.

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
No chance I am returning the Lumia 900. Love the OS and the phone itself is gorgeous. Not too heavy, not too light, the screen is the perfect size and looks amazing, it takes great pictures, video is top notch, and phone call quality is exceptional.

In fact, I think it's the...Best.Phone.Ever.

jsntrenkler

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I just came from a iPhone 4S, I tend to go through a lot of phones however this one may stick around for a while I really enjoy it. While I will agree that the camera is not as good as the one I had on the iPhone 4S the rest of the phone functions incredibly well. I really like Windows 7.5 the social integration is fantastic. I have found apps to replace my daily use apps that I used on the iPhone 4S and I think that the call quality is superior. So far I am really enjoying this phone.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
How many here have discovered (as I did on a Trophy no less) that several places where I needed apps on Android I no longer need apps because the OS baked the stuff in (especially into the hubs)? For example, I downloaded the FB app but wind up not using it at all because the People hub has all needed stuff.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me that the way this question was framed somehow conveys that keeping this phone > 30 days is the wrong thing to do??. The way one frames a question reveals a lot about what answer he/she is looking for ;)

..Or you can just ask "Anyone planning to return the phone before 30 days?"

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Question to owners - what is the warranty? I know AT&T has a 30-day return policy. But let's say the screen goes wonky, you notice dead pixels or I get the TellMe appearing randomly and nothing fixes it. How long is the term that AT&T will replace the device at no charge?

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Question to owners - what is the warranty? I know AT&T has a 30-day return policy. But let's say the screen goes wonky, you notice dead pixels or I get the TellMe appearing randomly and nothing fixes it. How long is the term that AT&T will replace the device at no charge?
For one year but you will get a refurbished unit after the 30 days.

redbluff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
not trying to sound like a jerk but seriously? Did you not know the size and weight of the phone when you bought/ordered it?

Yea I read the specs just like you did. But until you get it in your hands and carry it around in your pocket for a couple of days you dont really know how it feels. I didnt like it.

jameskk1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that I'm going to return mine for the HTC One X when it's available on May 6.... I love the Lumia and WP but the App situation is killing me... I mean, now that Instagram is on Android and damn good by the way... also, I use Nest to control my thermostats and it's been a pain dealing with the lack of that... and the Spotify app on WP sucks big time and the Android version is just swwweeeeet. IDK, maybe I'll be back one day.. I still have my Focus S.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think that I'm going to return mine for the HTC One X when it's available on May 6.... I love the Lumia and WP but the App situation is killing me... I mean, now that Instagram is on Android and damn good by the way... also, I use Nest to control my thermostats and it's been a pain dealing with the lack of that... and the Spotify app on WP sucks big time and the Android version is just swwweeeeet. IDK, maybe I'll be back one day.. I still have my Focus S.

So you used lumia 900 for your jollies now you are going to just throw her away for the first specked up wh##e one x that comes along wow. I just kidding enjoy your new HTC phone just remember we will still be here waiting by the way tell your one x that she my get dumped for lumias sister once they release her with that 8. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte