Anyone Keeping Lumia 900 past 30 days?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm keeping mine! I just got back from a week long vacation and my DSLR never came out of the bag. I never encountered a picture where I wasn't satisfied with the results that this camera gave. Granted, it was mostly well-lit carribean beaches, but still. It isn't the best camera, but it isn't the worst either. Like RiseAgainst said a few times, the pics are made measurably better with some minor editing. I think Nokia will make a software fix available. As a side note, the FFC is spectacular. My wife has a HTC Vivid and her FFC can't even compare. The only bad thing about my 900 is the vibrate. When it first starts it sounds like something is loose inside, but this is well known so I knew what I was getting into.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Please tell.

I called an AT&T store close to me, just for the **** of it, to see if they had a Cyan model. They had one left. So IMMEDIATELY I went to the store. Store said my name had to be physically shown on the account in their database (not the primary account holder), so I had that fixed. Went back and they needed a RECEIPT showing I bought the phone (which had me scratching my head cause it should be in their system). So I had to go to my mom's house to find her receipt, which she didn't have. Went to the store that I got it from originally and they scratched their heads as well as to why that store couldn't look it up in their system. Got it from there and got back to the store 20 mins before closing. THEN I had a chat with Microsoft online to see if they could remove my old L900 since it was maxing out my number of devices for Zune, which went smoothly. All in all, I guess it was worth it

projekZERO

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Not Quite What I hoped it would be

I took the plunge. I was an iPhone user for 3 years. I picked up the Lumia on April 9th.

I returned it exactly 2 weeks later.

The biggest issue and the one I couldn't get over was IE. I really can't stand IE on my PC but I do admit ever since windows 7 and IE9 I have been using IE. IE9 is vastly improved over earlier versions. However the mobile IE on the Nokia Lumia 900 is an absolute joke. No back button (or forward for that matter), you have to use recent or history to return to cached pages. And of course if you hit back one too many times you will go back to the home screen. And why is there no way to switch the default search provider? Bing is the worst search engine imaginable. It might be great at integrating certain features, but for actually providing search result related to anything you are looking for, it's incompetent. I don't want to install and have to use a 3rd party Google search app or go to the Google site every time just to perform a search. In addition, location services were hit or miss. It lacks flash as well but I knew that going in. To top it all off, I wasn?t overly impressed with its speed either (I will admit it's not the slowest browser around, but didn't blow me away by any means). IE is the real show stopper on this phone for me, and considering I use the phone mostly for the internet, it just wasn?t a good fit for me.

I did try a few different browsers apps, but they are all skins for the crappy IE and all were too buggy. The best browsers were UCBrowser and BeyondBrowser for those who also do not like the stock IE experience, however be prepared for other issues and they are full of bugs.

I also don't like having to hit the back button a ton of times to close all open apps. Or having to open an app from the active app screen, then hit the back button to close a particular app I want. I should just be able to swipe away or hit an x from the open app screen or task manager.

I also didn't like that it takes multiple gestures just to answer a phone call.

There is a serious lack of apps for this phone. Sure it may have the popular ones, but there are a lot of little apps out there I use to tweak phones to my liking. When you already have a phone that is not nearly as configurable as others (even the iPhone), the lack of apps just compounds the problem. I was never satisfied with the amount of features this phone has

As far as hardware, the vibrate sounds like the phone is going to rattle apart, the camera took horrible pictures, and the screen is way too sensitive. I swear it seemed like it would open apps if I hovered 1mm above the screen. I thought it was me at first, but I later learned I could open apps resting my finger on the edge of the screen. I have never had this problem before or after so it turned out not to be me after all.

I traded the Lumia 900 in on Saturday and took home the Galaxy Note. It's my first android experience and I must say. I am in phone heaven. I originally thought the Note was way too big to consider. But after I thought about it, how often do I actually use it as a phone anyway? Easily less than 5% of the time. I was also worried about not being able to use it with one hand, but I watched my habits with the Lumia for a few days and realized I never use one hand anyway. Yes the Android OS is a bit laggy, but the user experience and configurability is by far the best of the 3 platforms. I had to jailbreak by iPhone to get to where the android is stock out of the box. And I'm not even on ice cream sandwich yet. Android can be a bit overwhelming, so I can see how some people might want a simpler phone. But for those who are fairly tech savvy. I think they might enjoy what Android has to offer. I know it's only been a week with the Note, but I think I might just be an Android convert.

I did try a few different browsers apps, but they are all skins for the crappy IE and all were too buggy. The best browsers were UCBrowser and BeyondBrowser for those who also do not like the stock IE experience, however be prepared for other issues and they are full of bugs.

I don't like having to hit the back button a ton of times to close all open apps. Or having to open an app from the active app screen, then hit the back button to close a particular app I want. I should just be able to swipe away or hit an x from the open app screen or task manager.

There is a serious lack of apps for this phone. Sure it may have the popular ones, but there are a lot of little apps out there I use to tweak phones to my liking. When you already have a phone that is not nearly as configurable as others (even the iPhone), the lack of apps just compounds the problem. I was never satisfied with the amount of features this phone has

As far as hardware, the vibrate sounds like the phone is going to rattle apart, the camera took horrible pictures, and the screen is way too sensitive. I swear it seemed like it would open apps if I hovered 1mm above the screen. I thought it was me at first, but I later learned I could open apps resting my finger on the edge of the screen. I have never had this problem before or after so it turned out not to be me after all.

I traded the Lumia 900 in on Saturday and took home the Galaxy Note. It's my first android experience and I must say. I am in phone heaven. I originally thought the Note was way too big to consider. But after I thought about it, how often do I actually use it as a phone anyway? Less than 5% of the time easily. I was also worried about not being able to use it with one hand, but I watched my habits with the Lumia for a few days and realized I never use one hand anyway. So the largest screen possible started to seem like the way to go. Yes the Android OS is a bit laggy, but the user experience and configurability is by far the best of the 3 platforms. I had to jailbreak my iPhones to get where the android is stock out of the box. And I'm not even on ice cream sandwich yet. Android can be a bit overwhelming, so I can see how some people might want a simpler phone. But for those who are fairly tech savvy. I think they might enjoy what Android has to offer. I know it's only been a week with the Note, but I think I might just be an Android convert.

So from my view as of now. I'm sorry to say, but...

Android > iOS > WP

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I took the plunge. I was an iPhone user for 3 years. I picked up the Lumia on April 9th.

I returned it exactly 2 weeks later.

The biggest issue and the one I couldn't get over was IE. I really can't stand IE on my PC but I do admit ever since windows 7 and IE9 I have been using IE. IE9 is vastly improved over earlier versions. However the mobile IE on the Nokia Lumia 900 is an absolute joke. No back button (or forward for that matter), you have to use recent or history to return to cached pages. And of course if you hit back one too many times you will go back to the home screen. And why is there no way to switch the default search provider? Bing is the worst search engine imaginable. It might be great at integrating certain features, but for actually providing search result related to anything you are looking for, it's incompetent. I don't want to install and have to use a 3rd party Google search app or go to the Google site every time just to perform a search. In addition, location services were hit or miss. It lacks flash as well but I knew that going in. To top it all off, I wasn?t overly impressed with its speed either (I will admit it's not the slowest browser around, but didn't blow me away by any means). IE is the real show stopper on this phone for me, and considering I use the phone mostly for the internet, it just wasn?t a good fit for me.

Everything you dislike about IE is what I like most about it. Its odd that people have such different perspectives about the same thing. There is no way your Android Browser is faster than the browser in WP. Why do you thing there are like 5 different browsers that are popular in Android. Its because everyone is looking for one that works. In my experience with Android I wound up using several different browsers just to get things done.

I also don't like having to hit the back button a ton of times to close all open apps. Or having to open an app from the active app screen, then hit the back button to close a particular app I want. I should just be able to swipe away or hit an x from the open app screen or task manager.

Your using it wrong. There is no need to close apps. If you ever use WP again get out of the habit its just not necessary.

Again your using it wrong. Slide up tap the answer button. Whats hard about that?

There is a serious lack of apps for this phone. Sure it may have the popular ones, but there are a lot of little apps out there I use to tweak phones to my liking. When you already have a phone that is not nearly as configurable as others (even the iPhone), the lack of apps just compounds the problem. I was never satisfied with the amount of features this phone has.

If that is how you feel then you need Android. Good luck tweaking your phone.

The screen is too sencative?

I traded the Lumia 900 in on Saturday and took home the Galaxy Note. It's my first android experience and I must say. I am in phone heaven. I originally thought the Note was way too big to consider. But after I thought about it, how often do I actually use it as a phone anyway? Easily less than 5% of the time. I was also worried about not being able to use it with one hand, but I watched my habits with the Lumia for a few days and realized I never use one hand anyway. Yes the Android OS is a bit laggy, but the user experience and configurability is by far the best of the 3 platforms. I had to jailbreak by iPhone to get to where the android is stock out of the box. And I'm not even on ice cream sandwich yet. Android can be a bit overwhelming, so I can see how some people might want a simpler phone. But for those who are fairly tech savvy. I think they might enjoy what Android has to offer. I know it's only been a week with the Note, but I think I might just be an Android convert.

Are you trying to sale me an Android or are you trying to convince yourself? I know what comes with Android. Night after night staying up trying to get the thing to run without lagging and in the end you have to give up what you like about the OS just to get it to work.

So from my view as of now. I'm sorry to say, but...

Android > iOS > WP

I am very glad you have found something that works for you. I have to apologies but my pinion is different from yours.

projekZERO

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Everything you dislike about IE is what I like most about it. Its odd that people have such different perspectives about the same thing. There is no way your Android Browser is faster than the browser in WP. Why do you thing there are like 5 different browsers that are popular in Android. Its because everyone is looking for one that works. In my experience with Android I wound up using several different browsers just to get things done.

No, The Stock Android browser is not faster the IE on the WP. I tried Oprah Mini and it was by far the fastes browser I have ever used ona mobile device. But I decided after trying Dolphin, Firefix, and both versions of Oprah, that I liked the stock browser best. It is by no means an example of speed though.

Your using it wrong. There is no need to close apps. If you ever use WP again get out of the habit its just not necessary.

I'm not using it wrong. Never closing an app again is a pipe dream if you ever plan to truly mutlitask with your phone. Some apps will always run in the background, and there will come a time to close apps. (example, need to cut down power usage to extend battery life due to traveling) Even if it's not used often or not needed, why not make it as simple as possible to close apps?

Again your using it wrong. Slide up tap the answer button. Whats hard about that?

How am I using it wrong. iOS and Android = one gesture, WP = 2 gestures (swipe up, and tap). I never said it was difficult, but it could be better. This was really a trivial issue anyway. (one gesture)

If that is how you feel then you need Android. Good luck tweaking your phone.

Thank you, so far I'm very happy. We'll see as time goes on.

Yes, I found the screen too sensitive.

Are you trying to sale me an Android or are you trying to convince yourself? I know what comes with Android. Night after night staying up trying to get the thing to run without lagging and in the end you have to give up what you like about the OS just to get it to work.

I've had an android phone for a week, so I'm no expert. It's is definatly the slowest OS, no questions, and for some that will ruin their experience. For me, having more content and the ability to do vastly more is a better experience. Honestly, the screen on the Note is what sold me on the phone, The Android experience just impressed me after using it for awhile

I am very glad you have found something that works for you. I have to apologies but my pinion is different from yours.

Don't apologize. You are right, it's just a preference.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm not using it wrong. Never closing an app again is a pipe dream if you ever plan to truly mutlitask with your phone. Some apps will always run in the background, and there will come a time to close apps. (example, need to cut down power usage to extend battery life due to traveling) Even if it's not used often or not needed, why not make it as simple as possible to close apps?

Just one this time. Apps don't run in the background on Windows Phone. They are in a static state where they can fast resume. All closing apps does on windows phone is remove the cache from the memory that is always running. You would save more battery by deleting pictures from your picture gallery. Only apps that run in the background are those that use background agents. Even then they are only updating the data in the app so it will be ready when you open the app. This is also where your toast notifications come from. You can turn these off in settings to save battery. Backing out of apps by using the back arrow key save nothing. Windows Phone is a different way of thinking I just want to make sure that others reading this understand the difference.

projekZERO

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Just one this time. Apps don't run in the background on Windows Phone. They are in a static state where they can fast resume. All closing apps does on windows phone is remove the cache from the memory that is always running. You would save more battery by deleting pictures from your picture gallery. Only apps that run in the background are those that use background agents. Even then they are only updating the data in the app so it will be ready when you open the app. This is also where your toast notifications come from. You can turn these off in settings to save battery. Backing out of apps by using the back arrow key save nothing. Windows Phone is a different way of thinking I just want to make sure that others reading this understand the difference.

Dave, you are absolutely right about apps freezing in a static state. For those who want a demonstration of that you can turn the phone to landscape mode and while the screen is still orientating itself, back out of the app. You can then go to the open app screen and see it frozen in its half orientated state. I was not aware that there was a setting to stop apps from updating. I did not think about that as it's different from the norm.

In the end, all those little issues didn't ruin it for me, I could have lived with them. It was IE I couldn't live with. I understand some people may love it, but if they could have made it more configurable it would have worked for me, and who knows, maybe others as well.

One other thing I noticed but forgot to mention. Wifi performance on the Lumia seemed to lack. all 3 of my laptops, my iPhone 4, and now the Note consistently get 22-23Mbps down, and the laptops get around 27Mbps up while the iPhone and Note get around 19Mbps up.

The Lumia always got 12Mbps down and 4Mbps up consistently. I used the same SpeedTest.net app or website for all testing. I thought maybe it was the app, but the Lumia often would get 17-19Mbps with a good LTE connection so I don't think it was the app. Again, not a big deal, but just something I found curious. And yes, IE is still faster with a 12Mbps connection that Androids stock browser with a 22Mbps connection, but not Safari.

Last edited:

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow. You had to go through several browsers to settle in one that you like and then you admit it performs slower than IE9 on WP7 anyways? Are you kidding me? You didn't give this platform a serious chance. Other than the myriad of customizable options, which you will never 100% be satisfied as you will keep changing over and over and over again, you really haven't provided how that note is better other than it seems to be what you prefer. Been there way more times than I care to recount. More options does not a preferable platform make.

You will see. You've had it for a week. When it comes time for upgrades and as you add more apps, it will all become more clear to you in that which we speak of. Guess you just need to experience it for yourself.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow did you really try to tell the owner of WPcentral that you weren't using the phone wrong? The guy that studies the OS?

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

although i'm not returning my phone, i too am having some trouble adjusting to the sensitivity of the screen. i find that the phone will register a long press on the home button, bringing up the speech dialog, pretty unpredictably. this happens pretty often. i'm still trying to figure out if it's me or the phone.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am returning my device today. I hate returning a white one, but the problems I am having aren't the phones fault. I knew going into buying the phone that ATT's service in my area was horrible. I just can't over look that anymore. I get no reception at school and my coverage at work cuts in and out. I have yet to see data speeds over 1.5 mbps. If I could unlock the phone and get TMO HSPA+, I would keep it but the service I am currently getting isn't worth the money.

projekZERO

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Wow. You had to go through several browsers to settle in one that you like and then you admit it performs slower than IE9 on WP7 anyways? Are you kidding me? You didn't give this platform a serious chance. Other than the myriad of customizable options, which you will never 100% be satisfied as you will keep changing over and over and over again, you really haven't provided how that note is better other than it seems to be what you prefer. Been there way more times than I care to recount. More options does not a preferable platform make.

You will see. You've had it for a week. When it comes time for upgrades and as you add more apps, it will all become more clear to you in that which we speak of. Guess you just need to experience it for yourself.

Not true at all. I was highly looking forward to the Lumia 900. I had researched the phone, read dozens of reviews, and played with it in the store twice before I bought it. I should have checked to see if you could switch the search provider in the store. I just assumed it was a given.
The speed of a browser isn't everything to me. I value that it functions the way I prefer more.

Truth is I was complaining to my wife the first night and threatening to take it back the next day. But I really tried to give it a chance. I tried most of the browsers in the market place but they all hald too many bugs to be happy with them. Finally after 2 weeks I just gave up. It was clear I was happier with my iPhone.

There was many occasions Bing wouldn't find what I was looking for. It would return as little half a page of results or 2 pages of results, none of which were close to what I was looking for. Google would return hundreds of pages and what I was looking for would be in the top 5 items consistently with the exact same search.

While IE would still not I've been to my liking. I might have kept the phone if it weren't for bing.

WP does a lot it things better, I wont argue that. I'm not trying to bash the OS. Just saying it wasn't for me. And if I am bashing anything it is only IE, if it weren't for that I'm sure I would still have the phone.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Guys everyone deserves to have there own opinion so let listen to what projekZERO has to say. Windows Phone is not for everyone. If Android is what he like he should use Android.

All we need to do is make sure everyone has the correct information.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I give up. I hope the platform turns into something amazing but it has far too many drawbacks and I'm returning it today.

It's the music player that's really driving me to return it. I use my phone as my primary source of music in the car and away from home and I rely heavily on rating and playcount to keep my music in order. (Over 80 gigs from a ton of different artists.) Zune's heart system is just stupid.

Nice! I knew 100% that you were going to retun it from that original thread. Maybe some other day!

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Meh. Love the Nokia build. Had a E71 and N95 back in the day. Symbian was so antiquated it was time for an OS change. Every phone has its subtle nuances. I have had all the OS's. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. In this technological age, it comes down to the "Just-noticeable difference" or jnd. It could be said "in the beginning, there was significant difference between OS's and hardware." It's now pretty neck and neck so it comes down to "does the device meet your needs." I really hope WP succeeds as does Nokia. The more quality OS's and hardware options makes the choices that much more interesting not to mention drives the industry forward with new and exciting devices and options.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think of changing my mind about not returning it. The problem is the unlock situation. I am traveling abroad in a month and it seems like there won't be an unlock for AT&T version for a while..

If I do return, I will just replace it will European Lumia 900.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss