Nokia Lumia 900 Good and Bad

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Voice Search/ Nav

So I have a Android phone, and just got the Nokia 900. One feature on the Android which is very nice is you hit the Google search button or widget and say, "Navigate to Starbucks" for example. It will either bring up a list if there are several places close to have you choose one or go to the nearest place. Then it auto loads the Google Nav, voice turn by turn app and away you go.
Its super handy when your driving, I mean my Wife and Daughter in the back seat on vacation saying we want to eat at the XYZ place, say it to the phone and the nav pops up, no texting it into the phone while your driving.
I've got the Nokia Drive and Maps, is there a feature on the 900 that does something like this?
Thanks

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Tap and hold the Windows button. Speak "Starbucks". Should get a list of local Starbucks. Click one to get the address. Tap the address amd it will appear on Bing maps. Tap get directions and you are on your way. No Nokia Drive integration with TellMe voice control. Not yet anyway.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Tap and hold the Windows button. Speak "Starbucks". Should get a list of local Starbucks. Click one to get the address. Tap the address amd it will appear on Bing maps. Tap get directions and you are on your way. No Nokia Drive integration with TellMe voice control. Not yet anyway.

I'll try it.
Thanks

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
WTF No Headset/Media Volume

Day 3 on the Lumia 900, I have my Ringtone Vol set almost to the max, just plugged in the Apple Headset to go for a run, launched the music player app and just about busted my ear drums.
Does this thing not know I'm plugging in a headset and keep a separate volume for it.
I have the iPhone and when you plug in a headset, it even says Headset for a sec on the screen, same with Android, it has a separate media volume.
This could be another deal breaker for me.
I did order a Nokia headset, hoping its just not liking the Apple one.
What's everyone else saying??

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
There is not a separate volume for headset and speaker. It is one of the things the OS is missing.

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Man, I'd say. I just called Nokia and he said the same thing.
I also tried to use Nokia Maps while connected to my cars Bluetooth, no sounds work.
Which I can deal with, but I found that 15/30 is the highest setting I could stand with a in the ear headset, but without the headset the ringer volume on 15 is too low, so 28-29/30 is better.
So I have to remember to lower the volume everyday I plug in my headset for a run, then remember again to raise it so I don't miss any calls or messages.

I'm really wanting to like this phone, but there are too many steps backwards.
I think I'll be heading back to my iPhone 4S.:mad:

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. There are some things that are trivial but can get annoying if you are used to it on other devices. I have made my piece with the small things and the things I like about the OS outweigh them. I don't think I will he able to ever go back to another OS just because of the separate people hub. I love being able to just see my important contacts update on FB without having to sift through the utter drivel some people post.

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Caller ID Pic

So I have a nice full rez pic on the phone and I made it a Contact picture, but when I get a call that same contact pic on the caler id screen is blurry and out of focus.
How do you get a sharp contact pic for caller id.

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
No MMS Picture Message from iPhone

So I can send a MMS Picture message fine to my Wifes iPhone but I can't get one from it.
I get some text link saying Get media content now, but when I click on it nothing happens. I sent a test MMS pic, but no luck.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So I can send a MMS Picture message fine to my Wifes iPhone but I can't get one from it.
I get some text link saying Get media content now, but when I click on it nothing happens. I sent a test MMS pic, but no luck.

Can you get the message if you turn WiFi off and try to retrieve it over Cellular instead?

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, MMS ONLY works over ATT, NO WIFI.
I normally have my phone go to WiFi when I'm home, so I wont be able to get MMS's while on WiFi.
Another step backwards IMO.
Every phone I know can be on WiFi and still get MMS

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Bad:
1. Weird Bluetooth, can't be connected to your car and use Voice Turn By Turn.
Also no tones, text or email work when connected to BT.

2. Headset volume when listening to music is the same settings for the Ringtones, so if your ringer is set high, like 25 or higher and you plug into a headset and start your music, be prepared to blow out your ear drums. No separate media volume.

3. No Video MMS, and No Picture MMS when on WiFi. MMS ONLY works on ATT Network.

4. No 1080 video recording. Camera takes ok shots, has some strange pink spot when you look at a all white background thru the camera lens.

5. No Vibration for Text or eMail

6. Vibration has some weird rattle when it starts

7. No real multi tasking, when you leave an app, you sometimes have to restart it. Like if your using Nokia Drive, it will not run in the background. So if you get a phone call, it looses the GPS signal.

8. Phone is kinda heavy. weighs more than the iPhone 4S.

9. Limited number of Apps.

10. If you have a Contact picture set for someone, no matter where you get the picture, when that person calls you and you get a Caller ID, he picture is blurry. I've tried using the camera to take the shot, from my computer, doesn't matter.

Good:

1. Phone is basically FREE

2. The UI is fresh and better than IOS and Android.

3. Phone is nice to hold but a little heavy. Great design

4. Has LTE

5. Call quality is very good and clear.

6. Speaker is very loud and clear, no Android tin like speaker sounds.

7. Has great Mac iTunes sync software.

8. Has enough apps to get you by, no great amount but it has the ones you want.

9. Battery life is pretty good. Not as good as iPhone, but better than Android.

10. Is totally different than anything out there right now.

I really want to like this phone, I've been posting about issues I've listed above.
I don't want to return to the iPhone, but I just don't see keeping this thing.
If your new to smartphones, then nothing on my list will most likely matter.
But it seems that this phone is a step backwards in tech. Sure the UI is fresh and nice to look at but everything else is not.
IMO of course:confused:

mayoo

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This is what i did. I synced both my live contacts, Facebook contacts and my old phone contacts via BT. Then on the people hub I went to option and unchecked Facebook. Then i started linking contacts. linking was easy as the phone will pre find you based on names. so at the end all my contacts were updated with Facebook contact pics. now when they call i get the pic !!!!

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
No vibration for text? Can anyone comment on this? I'm pretty sure a phone released in 2012 would have this function

My phone vibrates on email and text. I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Sometimes smartphones aren't for everyone :rolleyes:

settings > ringtones and sounds > ringer on - vibrate on

davep1982

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not experiencing the bluetooth or MMS issues the OP has found. The phone reads text messages through my speakers in my car while connected to bluetooth. Haven't tried the turn by turn yet. As far as the MMS issues others seem to be having, my girlfriend went on a rampage and send me 10 pictures of pugs earlier today. Now I wish I had these problems!

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My bluetooth works great in my car, did email and voice text with no issues.

and my phone vibrates on calls, emails, texts and other alerts..

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
No vibration for text? Can anyone comment on this? I'm pretty sure a phone released in 2012 would have this function
The phone does vibrate on text. My gripe about that is that there is no way to differentiate what type of alert you get between calling and texting.

So either they are both on loud, both on vibrate, or both off. You can turn the sound on and text off, but you can not keep one on loud and one on vibrate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3