Disappointed WP7/Nokia advocate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The OPs problem lies between his screen and his keyboard.

Perfect reply. She clearly has no idea how to use the software and is blaming Microsoft for her own shortcomings. The Zune software allows you to backup your pictures by simply plugging your phone into the computer. In fact, the software asks you to choose your sync settings the first time you connect it to your phone. I can only imagine that the OP ignored the prompts and didn't invest time in learning how to use her device before it was too late. That, or this is all a well crafted trolling.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I can relate...

Similar thing happened for me a couple of years ago... I had a once in a lifetime taped interview with my favorite blues singer one night that I recorded on my iPhone. The next day I was going to back it up and upgrade my is. I assumed it was going to sync/backup my phone before the update but it did not... It crashed my phone during the update. I lost everything... All personal media and apps that were not backed up... Some apps were lost forever as they could not be purchased anymore. Most importantly was the interview and it was gone...

Lesson learned is do your own backups... Do not assume. Though I never had an issuer with WP7/SkyDrive I feel your pain. WP7 has the ability to save each new pic to SkyDrive live... How did you tell it to backup? Also, have you waited a bit?

I had a client lose everything to mobile me... What a bad service to begin with... Apple could/would not help. The data could actually he seen online, but was so corrupt it could not be removed. They only offered to wipe MM. I took us almost a year working with client to recompile thousands of contacts and calendar information from multiple of old services, devices, and backups...

You just can't beat local backups... Cloud stuff is not perfect. WP7 has wireless sync that should happen each night as long as your computer is own and your phone is on tue same WiFi network. Are you sure the files are not there?

Before any upgrades or device changes. Do a manual backup so you will know all is good.

I have not lost any information on WP7 or Skydrive. I store my contacts on Live, docs and other files on SkyDrive, on my computer using Zune...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
we need to start a workflow for posting. Something that goes like:

are you ranting about your broken hardware or are you ranting about the OS

if OS, do you actually know if it is the OS or the app

if the OS, do you actually know it is a bug or user error?

and then start bucket listing all of these threads....

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Like others, I've always seen Zune backing up my pictures and stuff without asking

Same here. I never setup any sync options and all the photos and videos I've taken with my Lumia are getting put onto SkyDrive and my laptop HDD when I sync. If you tried to get the update through Zune it would have synced/backed up the photos so they should be on your computer.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa, i think we may have rushed to judgment here. The OP has yet to respond to any of the claims the rest of you have made. The OP is being bashed before they can truly explain themselves if they so choose. Now, I agree that there is something missing, but everyone's experience and settings aren't the same. But still.....guilty before proven innocent or vice versa? OP, if you want some assistance on this matter there are some great people on these forums that probably know more than some customer service rep. Speak up and be heard!

Arinoshoes

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
So many things to reply to.

#1 - F U for thinking I'm a troll and only out to bash MSFT. For those that think the # of posts is correlated to one's passion for a product, you're wrong. I have been reading your excellent posts for months now, trying to learn as much as possible about a platform and phone I've been out of my excited for. I'm sure there are others like me who may not have much to share but are still loyal customers and fans of products. Forums are for open, honest dialogue, good or bad, and what I complained about may actually be helpful for others like me.

#2 - Although I am not the most technologically savvy user, I can certainly hold my own on the basics. I assure you that my pics were wiped clean off my phone. Gone. However, I spent a considerable amount of time this morning trying to find the folders that were referenced in an earlier post. The folders were there, but there were no pictures. It turns out that the pics were held up in the syncing process to my corporate network because the shared folder server was full. I was able to clean out my shared folder and sync the pictures! Fantastic result thanks to some great feedback.

#3 - Do I regret sending the email to MSFT and posting to this forum last night? A little. I should have asked you all what to do before reacting like a broken-hearted teenager. But I, like many of you, am human. I cracked. I have spent 14 MONTHS reading about this phone, waiting patiently like many of you. Re-read my tale and tell me you wouldn't feel the same way I did last night. However, my email and post created an open, honest dialogue that may very well help others like me.

#4 - Some of you need to RELAX. Thanks to the last comment which we should all respect: guilty before proven innocent or vice versa. I did what I never expected to do: bash this phone. Even with all the hiccups, I have been loyal. But I had a moment of weakness when I thought I had been screwed because my technical know-how told me so. I was wrong. It's called human nature.

Finally, for all those would-be Lumia users, don't let my tale deter you. Let it inspire you that even the biggest fans, the most loyal customers, can have a bad experience. But I will tell you this: when I woke up this morning to my "Lattice" alarm on my Lumia 900, when I flipped through to check my email from overnight, the previous night's events were wiped clean. I love this phone. I love it more than any phone I've ever owned, including my iPhone and my crappy old Droid. I hope you'll give it a chance and lean on this forum for guidance and support.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am glad to see, you recovered your photos. I was in your shoes with the iPhone and Galaxy SII waiting for 14 months for this great phone. I am glad that I didn't have the problems that you had. I might have snapped, too. But so far, I have the greatest phone with the greatest OS. :D

E

.Emi.

Well next time you should be careful about backing stuff up before you wipe youe phone. yeah Zune doesn't backup settings or apps, or games, sms and practically everything (which everyone hopes will get better later). but its easy, plugging your phone, open Zune, and it will tell you what its being synched. you can also change how zune backup stuff, from music to pictures.

also there is the backup to skydrive, you can do it manually or let your phone do it, the problem its it will not put your pictures in full res, that's why something like Gladient can help you do that work with no effort.

I have wiped my sisters phone a couple of times, and always I make sure I have music and photos backed up. that's all you have to remember, its better to take 5 minutes checking if everything is ok before losing the other stuff. it would be nice if WP8 has something like Windows 8 though, Reset and Refresh, but we wont know that until it arrives.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
WOW! I can't believe some of what is posted here I am disappointed. :(

I am glad the OP has his answers we are here to help and will if we can. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO MAKE TO THIS THREAD. Move on to another.

You guys know better to the OP I apologize on behalf of the WPCentral forums. I hope the reactions of some won't effect your choice when posting in the forums. We are here to help and we will help if we can.

Pleas make sure all your posts are posted in a civil helpful manner its the WPC way.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes. And they're now backed up.

Awesome, glad it worked out. I am sorry if I or anyone jumped on you.

But just like you got the standard attack posts, posts like yours with rants and no other information for us to help out are also equally tiring. But I understand you were probably very frustrated at that time.

Please come back if you have more questions. We want to help you!

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
#3 - Do I regret sending the email to MSFT and posting to this forum last night? A little. I should have asked you all what to do before reacting like a broken-hearted teenager. But I, like many of you, am human. I cracked. I have spent 14 MONTHS reading about this phone, waiting patiently like many of you. Re-read my tale and tell me you wouldn't feel the same way I did last night. However, my email and post created an open, honest dialogue that may very well help others like me.

Here's what I saw wrong with the original post. I'm not bashing you here, but pointing out why it became more than what it should have been. The phone is new. People are impatient. They lash out without thinking or asking for help. People respond, and can be quite harsh, but it's only because patterns like this continue to happen. That's all. You calmed down, read some suggestions and recovered your photos. Along the way, you realized your error, but not before the backlash.

I write this hoping others take note. The Lumia 900 is far from perfect. Most phones are. People will find things that they don't like. Before bashing and taking drastic measures, search, read, ask, then post constructively. We could really use more of that around here vs. everyone crying wolf on a phone that's been around for 2 weeks.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I saw wrong with the original post. I'm not bashing you here, but pointing out why it became more than what it should have been. The phone is new. People are impatient. They lash out without thinking or asking for help. People respond, and can be quite harsh, but it's only because patterns like this continue to happen. That's all. You calmed down, read some suggestions and recovered your photos. Along the way, you realized your error, but not before the backlash.

I write this hoping others take note. The Lumia 900 is far from perfect. Most phones are. People will find things that they don't like. Before bashing and taking drastic measures, search, read, ask, then post constructively. We could really use more of that around here vs. everyone crying wolf on a phone that's been around for 2 weeks.

Right. The problem is when you see a topic called "Disappointed with WP7/Lumia 900", "I'm going back to Android", etc, and most of the times it's just an issue that we can help solving.

It becomes frustrating, you don't know if the person is trolling, or just wants help.

Arinoshoes

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Right. The problem is when you see a topic called "Disappointed with WP7/Lumia 900", "I'm going back to Android", etc, and most of the times it's just an issue that we can help solving.

It becomes frustrating, you don't know if the person is trolling, or just wants help.
I hear you, but my post was titled "Disappointed WP7/Nokia advocate". Not "screw WP7/Nokia, Android rocks."

And to the earlier comment "The phone is new. People are impatient. They lash out without thinking or asking for help." Trust me, I thought through things before emailing/posting. I was convinced my pics were gone and I was completely flabbergasted that 14 months of patience and advocacy ended in utter disappointment.

I think this whole dialogue teaches us that even the most ardent, patient supporters can reach a (presumably) point of no return. For those offering positive advice, and constructive comments, thanks for your support and encouragement. That is what this community should be about.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What made you think anyone would want to read your complaint letter to Microsoft?

If you have nothing to contribute to this forum but complaints, then you have nothing to contribute at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss