Hi,

I've owned Lumia 900 for about a week, and I start to realize that several features I had with my Nokia N79 is not on Lumia 900: no FM transmitter, NOKIA maps can't search point of interest "by category" offline anymore, alarm clock wouldn't turn on when the phone is off, and... you can't set the phone on silence without vibration(or can it be set somehow?) Another thing is that, many website listed Lumia 900 as NFC capable, but it turns out it isn't.

On the other hand, my girlfriend bought HTC Vivid the same day. After comparison, the BSI camera on the HTC totally blown my Lumia 900 away indoor, or when the light is not that sufficient, and the HTC can even take closer photos at shorter distance(even the macro focus is turned on on Lumia 900). To me, there even isn't a big difference with regards to quality between the photo taken by Lumia 900 and the ones I took with my N79(5MP, Carl Zeiss)

However, I really like the WP platform, so I went back to AT&T website to search again... HTC Titan2 is too expensive for me, and... there's Titan! Similar hardware with Lumia 900 with 8MP BSI camera! Well, I've been a NOKIA fan for 10 years, it's hard for me to switch to another brand, but the HTC Titan does look better, I mean, they're all WP phones, so there shouldn't be too much difference for software, and hardware is similar(to me, at least). I am just wondering, if anyone with more experience with phones could tell me if Lumia is better than the Titan in some aspect that I did not notice? I wish someone could convince me to stay with NOKIA(which I have been trying from day 1 I received Lumia 900)...
    04-20-2012 06:38 PM
    Well aside from the camera (and that could be a close call) the Titan will have all the same issues you have with the L900. No FM transmitter? Are you sure? Go to Zune>Radio and plug in some headphones.

Keep this in mind. On I believe all Gen1 HTC phones (not sure about Gen1.5) if you play DRM protected music in Zune and allow you phone to go to sleep, the music will stop and your phone will freeze, requiring a soft reset. This bug is about a year old. HTC is still working on it. In contrast, Nokia fixed a data problem with the 900 in less than a week. The choice is yours.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    YingTK likes this.
    04-20-2012 06:48 PM
    Well aside from the camera (and that could be a close call) the Titan will have all the same issues you have with the L900. No FM transmitter? Are you sure? Go to Zune>Radio and plug in some headphones.
    Wouldn't that be an FM receiver, not a transmitter?
    YingTK likes this.
    04-20-2012 06:52 PM

Keep this in mind. On I believe all Gen1 HTC phones (not sure about Gen1.5) if you play DRM protected music in Zune and allow you phone to go to sleep, the music will stop and your phone will freeze, requiring a soft reset. This bug is about a year old. HTC is still working on it. In contrast, Nokia fixed a data problem with the 900 in less than a week. The choice is yours.

Thanks for the quick reply folks!

Like alpinestars says, yes, L900 does have a FM receiver, but a FM transmitter is used to generate FM signals from your device so that the music you're playing on your phone can be received by other devices via FM signal(and from what I've read, it's restricted by microsoft, so I'd better get used to that ).

However, you did mentioned an important point for me though, jimski, I guess one of the reason I stayed with NOKIA for 10 years is they keep updating their firmware(at least with their own S40 and Symbian devices, and I think they'll keep doing that), and I was not familiar with HTCs.
    04-20-2012 07:03 PM
    The headphone volume sound is much better on the titan than the lumia. The camera on the titan is better as well i feel. have both in front of me right now(although the titan is going on ebay tonight) but yeah you wont go too wrong if you got the titan
    04-20-2012 09:33 PM
    Ok, I stand corrected. Never heard of an FM transmitter on a phone, but different strokes for different folks I guess. Each phone I buy, I plug in a pair of headphones and test the FM receiver. After that, I never turn it on again. If it wasn't there, I wouldn't notice. FM transmitter, really!

04-20-2012 09:37 PM
    i held and played with that titan II today for the first time it was really nice the only problem is it looks like every HTC phone out there. but its a nice built phone nokia to me has the better screen clear black tech but titan's II screen is also nice looks better for some reason than the first one even though they are supposed to be the same hmmm i could be wrong but its a solid device both are.
    04-20-2012 10:12 PM
    Going to settings, sounds, you can turn off sound and vibrate independently.
    YingTK likes this.
    04-20-2012 10:14 PM
    The headphone volume sound is much better on the titan than the lumia. The camera on the titan is better as well i feel. have both in front of me right now(although the titan is going on ebay tonight) but yeah you wont go too wrong if you got the titan
    May I ask why you choose Lumia 900 but Titan?
    04-20-2012 10:20 PM
    Going to settings, sounds, you can turn off sound and vibrate independently.
    Thanks! I got it. Still, I kind of miss the "modes" in old NOKIAs(Silent, Outdoor, Custom.. etc.) where you can turn to either "vibrate+ringtone", "vibrate only", "no vibrate, no ringtone"... But I guess that's just me:P
    04-20-2012 10:25 PM
    I think the 900 I'd a better phone than the Titan. I have owned both and prefer the 900. it feels better in the hand and the screen looks better.

04-21-2012 12:14 AM
    May I ask why you choose Lumia 900 but Titan?
    Well first off i am selling my titan and should get around $250 + for it, and got the lumia for 450 and will get the $100 credit so its $350, so basically got the phone for a 100 bucks. i just like the design more and i do trust nokia more with updates and stuff rather than htc.
    04-21-2012 01:38 PM
    Even though camera is the most important thing for me, I would go for the Lumia just because of the design.
    04-22-2012 10:25 AM
    Even though camera is the most important thing for me, I would go for the Lumia just because of the design.
    Same here, I think I'm keeping the Lumia 900. It's just so solid, make me forget about the camera not being as good as HTCs.
    04-23-2012 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD