Which has a better design Lumia 800 or 900

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I just came back from an AT&T store to check out the 900 for the first time. and boy am I glad I got the 800 a few weeks back.
I made my decision based on some of the reviews I read in terms of the design and quality feel of the 800 over the 900 and everything I've read is true, at least to me.

Despite not having a bigger screen and front facing camera, I still am very happy with the 800. coming from an iPhone 4, the huge screen (which is really nice) was not for me. Also, the bezel that wraps around the 900's screen is hideous (sorry).

all in all, both are great phones but I agree with you guys the 800 feels much more premium and it's what they should've released as the hero phone in my opinion. or at least found some way to mimic it's build w/ the 900.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
the only major difference is the curved display, which in just pure looks gives the 800 the nod in better industrial design, however, the actual hardware in the 900 is better than what's in the 800, even if the differences aren't huge.

for me, this is the kicker that makes the 900 better even with its flat glass display:

rgb matrix amoled is always going to look better than a pentile display.

if the 900 had a curved display, it would be hands down the best looking phone on the market right now. not that i don't think it's the best looking phone regardless, but it would be even more so. :p

mismo

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
honestly I wish they had just made a slightly bigger version of the 800. Before seeing both in person I really preferred the look of the 900. But now I feel as though the 900 just has a lot of wasted space on the phone (same size as titan with a smaller screen) While I do like the design and look of the phone I feel like they could have made the poly carbonate part a bit more sleeker.

I want to buy an 800 but I feel silly doing so considering I'm on AT&T and it would be nice to have the lte connectivity + beefy battery.

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I felt the same way. I was 99% waiting on the 900 until I read more and more about the description of its build compared to the 800.

I held them side by side today and I dont know if it's just me, but the 800 just feels more premium. not just the curved screen but even the polycarbonate felt different.

anyhow, I'm on AT&T with the 800 and the LTE isn't an issue since I'm mostly on wifi. though I did test the LTE on the 900 today but was not even working and just as slow as 3G. but then again, its AT&T, and in an AT&T store...go figure.

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
i was crushed when i saw the flat glass on the 900. has there ever been an explanation for this? the convex glass on the 800 is just gorgeous.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
i was crushed when i saw the flat glass on the 900. has there ever been an explanation for this? the convex glass on the 800 is just gorgeous.
They said it was because it would make the device too large for pockets, I think it was because they rushed the device or wanted to cut costs.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Haven't played w/ the 800, but I love my 900's design.

I do however loveeee the curved glass on the Titan II.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Looking at the 800, it seems the device would have to be larger or the screen would have to be smaller. The bottom of the 800 where the windows buttons are seems to have excess glass to make it's transition to melt into the body

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
I have a 900 and received the 800 today. I LOVE the feel of the 800 in the hand. Great balance, solid constructions, and feels great in the hand.

I believe the 900 is going back to ATT or on Ebay.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No. Curved glass on 800 ftw.

This.

But I mean, they're almost the same thing. The curved glass makes the difference. The 800 is also a more ideal size. If it only had a front-facing camera (like it's twin sister, the N9) I wouldn't have upgraded to the 900. Also, the Nokia logo in the middle up top looks better than it being on one side, with the AT&T logo on the other.

Again though, both are slick!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I felt the same way. I was 99% waiting on the 900 until I read more and more about the description of its build compared to the 800.

I held them side by side today and I dont know if it's just me, but the 800 just feels more premium. not just the curved screen but even the polycarbonate felt different.

anyhow, I'm on AT&T with the 800 and the LTE isn't an issue since I'm mostly on wifi. though I did test the LTE on the 900 today but was not even working and just as slow as 3G. but then again, its AT&T, and in an AT&T store...go figure.

I have both and you're right... the polycarbonate on the 800 feels like its made of a bit better stuff somehow. It's also made with thicker gorilla glass. Shattering it from a drop is tougher to do than with the 900.

I'd choose the 800 if it had a front camera. That's the only reason I'm keeping the 900 (which is still beautiful) instead.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
In the USA, where is everyone getting the 800 for a reasonable price? I just did a quick check on EBay and most cost more than the 900 full price. (~500).

-Rich

I have a 900 and received the 800 today. I LOVE the feel of the 800 in the hand. Great balance, solid constructions, and feels great in the hand.

I believe the 900 is going back to ATT or on Ebay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo