Is it just me, or is this camera horrible?

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I came from an HTC Inspire. The pictures that I took on that phone were very good and always seemed to come out great. I started playing with the camera on my new white Lumia 900. The pictures are coming out with this blueish tint to them. Before I actually take the picture, it looks fine, but once the picture is taken, it looks horrible. I decided to see what they looked like on the computer once I transferred them, but they look just as bad. They seem a little dark as well. Anyone else with a white Lumia 900 having similar issues?

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a thread in the "Stickies" regarding posting camera photos and the general concensus there is that the camera sucks. If you look at the pictures posted some are good but a lot of them are bad. I think its a combination of software and user error because of the variation of results.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Seems fine to me. Not spectacular, but much better than average. A lot of people seem to ***** about it though. Maybe Nokia can address some of it in a future software update.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Lumia 900, only the 710 but I had the same problems. I use the White Balance setting to correct the color problem and then I use Auto-Fix if the photo taken is too dark. I don't think the camera is crap but I think its much harder to take a nice photo using the Nokia Lumia phones without having to adjust some settings . The default or Auto settings rarely works well. And I always have to use the touch panel to focus and shoot to get a sharper image, never the camera button because of the lag. :-(

Last edited:

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
User error shouldn't even be a factor. It's suppose to be dummy proof and take good photos no matter what. The variations range from very bad to bad. Even with a professional team of photographers and $$$ in lighting, you can't fix the blurry and out-of-focus look no matter what, or the noise and darkness in indoor shots, because these are inherent to the camera hardware itself. It may look good unzoomed on a small AMOLED display, but it won't be up to snuff for anything else. I seriously think the resolution is more like 2mp on this camera it looks so blurry and unsharp. Great for thumbnails on a website.

There are a couple of good shots in that thread that make me think the camera has potential but, you are right, it should be dummy proof. You shouldn't have to be a photography expert and mess around with the settings continually to get a good shot.

alias3800

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
The auto-fix setting tends to iron out some of the more offensive problems with the photos. However, I for one can definitely confirm the camera producing much more noise than anything else when put on another, larger display. Even with decent lighting inside, the results are pretty noisy. I'm trying to see how well I can cope with that. Seeing as to how I wanted to ultimately have them all on my new iPad, and well, then don't look very good there. That's the nicer way of putting it. I wish I didn't take so many indoor shots :/

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
here we go again another camera sucks thread. OP pat yourself on the back.

Thank you, and I will. I posted this thread due to the fact that the white phones may be different from the rest (you may remember the white iPhone debacle). I wanted to get opinions from people who use the white one and see if they notice a difference in the camera quality than the cyan or black versions. :dry

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a few days ago I noticed a clear sticker above the camera. All this time I've been shooting photos with it on. Hehe. don't forget to remove sticker lol

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just a few days ago I noticed a clear sticker above the camera. All this time I've been shooting photos with it on. Hehe. don't forget to remove sticker lol

Lol, did exactly that to the earpiece on my Treo Pro and was just about to return it since the it was barely audible.

About the camera, it appears to take much sharper pictures if using the touch screen to focus and "click" as opposed to the hardware button.

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Just an update as I did try out Sophie Cam, and the pictures with that software come out much better than the stock camera app. This definitely gives me hope that it's a software fix and hopefully it'll be out soon :)

levelbest

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, completely agree. Coming from a Evo 4g where folks were constantly complimenting how good the pictures look, this phones camera is severely lacking.

And, as noted, a third party app does a better job of taking better balanced, sharper, cleaner and more in focus pics.

The default camera app really needs some work. This phone is great except for the cam, and to me, that's about 50% of why I use my phone. To get rid of my point and shoot when I'm traveling.

Right now, the Lumia 900 isn't cutting it in that area sadly... :straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss