04-27-2012 04:52 PM
44 12
tools
    That's a strange problem. If you have a laptop connected to the school network and put it to sleep does it auto connect without asking for your school login? I would usually think school network should remember your phone and have a normal dhcp release time.

I don't know of a solution to fix your problem, maybe you can contact your school's IT department.
    04-22-2012 01:41 PM
    Well guess you can't do anything about your schools WiFi setup (or maybe you can) but my Surround, and now my L900 has never had any difficulty connecting to my home (used two different routers) office or AT&T WiFi hotspots. Just wake the phone up and a few seconds later, connected.

Pretty sure the iPhone also disconnects from WiFi when it goes to sleep. How is it working for them at your school. Same/different?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    The iPhone and iOS now have persistent wifi.
    04-22-2012 10:07 PM
    I have this same problem at work. Everytime I wake up my phone I have to re-login on the web portal. It's fine when I'm home, just really annoying at work.

04-22-2012 10:12 PM
    The iPhone and iOS now have persistent wifi.
    Since what iOS version?
    04-22-2012 10:19 PM
    iphone doesn't have persistant wifi connection. when display is off wifi drops off and it uses 3g. That was one of the things i hated when i switched from android to iphone.
    04-22-2012 10:24 PM
    That has to suck to keep logging in.
    04-25-2012 02:55 AM
    If there is an active connection (streaming music, downloading app) then the WiFi won't cut out. Idling on a webpage or having Metrotube open doesn't count.

This is a fairly major gripe I have, it's just annoying to have to wait five seconds or so whenever you unlock your phone to get back on WiFi.
    04-25-2012 04:41 AM
    iOS has persistent WiFi. My iTouch always gets notifications even when the display is off so I would expect the iPhone to be similar. The iTouch has no cell radio, so the only way for it to get that data is through the WiFi connection.
    04-25-2012 07:32 AM
    ...This is a fairly major gripe I have, it's just annoying to have to wait five seconds or so whenever you unlock your phone to get back on WiFi.
    What kind of society have we become where 5 seconds is an inconvenience? Wi-fi being shut off actually helps to conserve battery, but that's apparently another inconvenience dealt with in other threads however.
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-25-2012 09:10 AM
    Hi.

I love this phone a lot. I think it's very sleek and aesthetically pleasing. However, I have one MAJOR gripe. I hate how when the phone does screen lock (after inactivity for 30 seconds, or when you press the power button to lock the phone), it jumps off your wi-fi and turns it off. When you turn the phone back on, it attempts to re-connect to the wi-fi, but often times I have to go back into Settings>Wi-Fi, to find my connection point and let it re-connect.

This is especially frustrating at school as every time the screen locks and my wi-fi turns off, I have to go back to my school's portal and log back in to use my wi-fi.

I'm guessing they did this for battery reasons, but I wish there would have at least been an option to leave wi-fi always connected. I would deal with the battery life.

Anyone else have this gripe?
    Not me I have wifi at the office and home and its at my parents and when I go from home to office or may parents wifi connects without issues automatically and is on when I touch the on button. I have a focus 1.3
    04-25-2012 09:21 AM
    iOS has persistent WiFi. My iTouch always gets notifications even when the display is off so I would expect the iPhone to be similar. The iTouch has no cell radio, so the only way for it to get that data is through the WiFi connection.
    WiFi intermittently wakes up to check things such as push, it doesn't stay on indefinitely. That was one reason I tossed my iPod touch, was too annoying that this would happen with IMing.
    04-25-2012 09:23 AM
    Try plugging the lumia into a charger. I normally turn off the 4G data connection and turn on the WiFi at home, and I plug my phone into a wall charger so that my phone will still connect to the WiFi when it is turned off.
    04-26-2012 07:33 AM
    Not a perfect solution by any means, but you can set the screen timeout to 5 minutes max.
    Just figured it out. Thanks.
    04-26-2012 08:33 PM
    I just had this experience this week. I was at a conference and they didn't have cell coverage but had WiFi. I completely forgot about the WiFi turning off and I would go hours without having any email messages (seemingly) until I unlocked the phone only to reconnect and get tons of notifications. I wish there was just an option that you could toggle under 'advanced' in the settings menu.
    04-26-2012 08:48 PM
    whaat tha he## is going on? 5 seconds to long to wait for wifi to connect, when my phone is sleep it should stay connected... more news at 10 we have found people who now complain that after the update of keeping the wifi on their battery drains faster now they are trying to turn it off when the screen goes dark , nokia4life reporting live from sacchaewetta college campus back to you Ted in the studio.
    04-27-2012 12:16 AM
    since the title was left open, the thing that pisses me off is the inability to do Bluetooth file transfers with wp7.
    04-27-2012 01:17 AM
    Think the one thing that bothers me about WP7 is the security that is there for purchases, i.e. NON EXISTANT. All it does is confirm, and off you go. You might think, "oh I don't have a credit card number associated so I'm safe." No, that isn't the case, as purchases will get directly billed to your wireless bill, which is a bit outrageous if someone just got your device, and started purchasing a ton of apps.... that to me is just stupid that Microsoft left it open that wide. The only work around I can find is to associate your phone with a faux child account, link it to another live account, and prevent that child account from downloading content. To do this, Microsoft will charge you a 50 cent fee to verify you're an adult.... when its free to make an account and say you're an adult.... argh. Anyone know a way around this? Or at least remove the direct charge to ATT Appcenter?
    04-27-2012 01:28 AM
    I have had At&T direct purchases turned off on my account for the past 4 years, after a .99 charge kept appearing for my WM devices every month. After the third month and third call they asked if I wanted to turn off the option. Yes.

Apps are billed through Microsoft and my CC. Been using PDAs and cell phones for nearly 20 years and have yet to misplace, lose or damage one of my devices.

nokia4life likes this.
    04-27-2012 01:35 AM
    Speaking of timeout settings what happened to the 15 & 30 minute choices? Mango added those to my Quantum-gone from the Lumia

04-27-2012 04:52 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD