This one thing irritates me a TON about the Lumia 900.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow mine connects fast enough for me never to notice if was off in the first place. I haven't had to go into settings to connect after initial set up.

This has been my experience as well. I use WiFi at home and at work every day and my Lumia switches seamlessly between the two from sleep without me doing anything, it takes a few seconds to connect, but not long, literally like 2 sec.

Not sure if it's related to the update Nokia pushed out last week, but have you tried that?

It's possible it may have something to do with your schools wireless network too, I suppose.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
most devices including iPhone have a WiFi sleepy policy that you can set to never turn off. Unfortunately WP OS doesn't hence it has to reconnect when woken up.

How do you change that on iPhone?

I think some of you are missing the OP's main point: after WiFi reconnects, he has to log back in through the portal, via IE, everytime. I also find this frustrating with establishments like malls or coffee shops that require you to log in or agree to some terms before you're allowed access to their connection.

I have to log in for my school's WiFi too, but even when my Titan goes to sleep and disconnects from the WiFi, I usually don't have to log back in. I guess the WiFi network remembers my phone.

mayoo

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Try playing with the settings with ur router .. i turned N or G Mode and i never had this issue .. also i am actually liking the feature .. over night it will turn on after 3hrs of inactivity, perform the the wireless Zune sync, check for mails and other items and then turn off .. in the morning the minute i slide up, it will connect .. max 3sec delay .. for this to work i have to set my home router to G/N mode only ..

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a strange problem. If you have a laptop connected to the school network and put it to sleep does it auto connect without asking for your school login? I would usually think school network should remember your phone and have a normal dhcp release time.

I don't know of a solution to fix your problem, maybe you can contact your school's IT department.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well guess you can't do anything about your schools WiFi setup (or maybe you can) but my Surround, and now my L900 has never had any difficulty connecting to my home (used two different routers) office or AT&T WiFi hotspots. Just wake the phone up and a few seconds later, connected.

Pretty sure the iPhone also disconnects from WiFi when it goes to sleep. How is it working for them at your school. Same/different?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

The iPhone and iOS now have persistent wifi.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this same problem at work. Everytime I wake up my phone I have to re-login on the web portal. It's fine when I'm home, just really annoying at work.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

kalex

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
iphone doesn't have persistant wifi connection. when display is off wifi drops off and it uses 3g. That was one of the things i hated when i switched from android to iphone.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If there is an active connection (streaming music, downloading app) then the WiFi won't cut out. Idling on a webpage or having Metrotube open doesn't count.

This is a fairly major gripe I have, it's just annoying to have to wait five seconds or so whenever you unlock your phone to get back on WiFi.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
iOS has persistent WiFi. My iTouch always gets notifications even when the display is off so I would expect the iPhone to be similar. The iTouch has no cell radio, so the only way for it to get that data is through the WiFi connection.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
...This is a fairly major gripe I have, it's just annoying to have to wait five seconds or so whenever you unlock your phone to get back on WiFi.

What kind of society have we become where 5 seconds is an inconvenience? Wi-fi being shut off actually helps to conserve battery, but that's apparently another inconvenience dealt with in other threads however.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

I love this phone a lot. I think it's very sleek and aesthetically pleasing. However, I have one MAJOR gripe. I hate how when the phone does screen lock (after inactivity for 30 seconds, or when you press the power button to lock the phone), it jumps off your wi-fi and turns it off. When you turn the phone back on, it attempts to re-connect to the wi-fi, but often times I have to go back into Settings>Wi-Fi, to find my connection point and let it re-connect.

This is especially frustrating at school as every time the screen locks and my wi-fi turns off, I have to go back to my school's portal and log back in to use my wi-fi.

I'm guessing they did this for battery reasons, but I wish there would have at least been an option to leave wi-fi always connected. I would deal with the battery life.

Anyone else have this gripe?

Not me I have wifi at the office and home and its at my parents and when I go from home to office or may parents wifi connects without issues automatically and is on when I touch the on button. I have a focus 1.3

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
iOS has persistent WiFi. My iTouch always gets notifications even when the display is off so I would expect the iPhone to be similar. The iTouch has no cell radio, so the only way for it to get that data is through the WiFi connection.
WiFi intermittently wakes up to check things such as push, it doesn't stay on indefinitely. That was one reason I tossed my iPod touch, was too annoying that this would happen with IMing.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Try plugging the lumia into a charger. I normally turn off the 4G data connection and turn on the WiFi at home, and I plug my phone into a wall charger so that my phone will still connect to the WiFi when it is turned off.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just had this experience this week. I was at a conference and they didn't have cell coverage but had WiFi. I completely forgot about the WiFi turning off and I would go hours without having any email messages (seemingly) until I unlocked the phone only to reconnect and get tons of notifications. I wish there was just an option that you could toggle under 'advanced' in the settings menu.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
whaat tha he## is going on? 5 seconds to long to wait for wifi to connect, when my phone is sleep it should stay connected... more news at 10 we have found people who now complain that after the update of keeping the wifi on their battery drains faster now they are trying to turn it off when the screen goes dark , nokia4life reporting live from sacchaewetta college campus back to you Ted in the studio. :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte