04-27-2012 03:03 AM
29 12
tools
    If the cancellation fee is $325 and it goes down by $10 per month,what is the benefit of paying $449 for the Lumia 900??

If I were to cancel service in 6 months and restart it with a W8 phone,what would be the issue??

I'm new to AT&T (from sprint) and am trying to decide what way to go as I haven't been on a contract in 1 yr.....

Please advise.
    04-24-2012 01:56 PM
    If the cancellation fee is $325 and it goes down by $10 per month,what is the benefit of paying $449 for the Lumia 900??

If I were to cancel service in 6 months and restart it with a W8 phone,what would be the issue??

I'm new to AT&T (from sprint) and am trying to decide what way to go as I haven't been on a contract in 1 yr.....

Please advise.
    You don't have to change your number is a big one.
    04-24-2012 01:58 PM
    You don't have to change your number is a big one.
    what do you mean?
    04-24-2012 02:06 PM
    The only issue is that AT&T won't give you the same number for 2-3 months (not sure how long) if you break your contract. What you can do however, is move to Verizon for WP8, which should allow you to keep the same number. Crazy.. I know!
    04-24-2012 02:09 PM
    or just buy a wp8 handset outright when they come out, since the lumia was effectively free (if you got the nokia credit) or at most $99.

that's my plan at least. but i'm fairly used to paying more than the subsidized price for phones since i tend to change my secondary phone like every 3 months out of boredom
    5tephen likes this.
    04-24-2012 02:14 PM

Please advise.
    There isn't really any advantage. You just buy the phone at full price and tell AT&T what service you want. You are free to cancel your service any time without penalty is really the only advantage.

When a WP8 device comes out that you want you don't need to cancel anything. Just go to AT&T and say I want the Lumia 1200. You will be eligible for an upgrade and be able to buy it at the cheap price. You will just need to sign a two year contract at that time.
    04-24-2012 02:23 PM
    One disadvantage is that if you're a government employee you cannot get the 15% discount when you're not under contract.
    04-24-2012 02:53 PM
    There isn't really any advantage. You just buy the phone at full price and tell AT&T what service you want. You are free to cancel your service any time without penalty is really the only advantage.

When a WP8 device comes out that you want you don't need to cancel anything. Just go to AT&T and say I want the Lumia 1200. You will be eligible for an upgrade and be able to buy it at the cheap price. You will just need to sign a two year contract at that time.
    It sounds like the OP is already on contract, in which case s/he still won't be able to cancel until the end of the contract.
    04-25-2012 12:09 AM

Please advise.
    It sounds like the OP is already on contract, in which case s/he still won't be able to cancel until the end of the contract.
    Really... To me it kinda sounds like the OP is on Sprint and off contract for a year and planning on switching to AT&T for the Lumia 900.
    04-25-2012 01:20 AM
    Really... To me it kinda sounds like the OP is on Sprint and off contract for a year and planning on switching to AT&T for the Lumia 900.
    you are correct. On Sprint....going to AT&T tomorrow to get my white 900!!!! bye bye WEBOS....
    cckgz4 and TheRewardisCheese like this.
    04-25-2012 02:48 AM
    you are correct. On Sprint....going to AT&T tomorrow to get my white 900!!!! bye bye WEBOS....
    Nice, enjoy.
    04-25-2012 09:13 AM
    I had the samsung infuse 4g for about 8 months, and hated the thing. I bought my Lumia 900 outright because I did not qualify for an upgrade. I then sold my infuse and basically got the Lumia for $250.

If Windows doesn't push Apollo to the L900, I can then use my actual upgrade to get a new phone for cheaper later this year.

That's why I bought the phone outright.
    04-25-2012 11:39 AM
    or just buy a wp8 handset outright when they come out, since the lumia was effectively free (if you got the nokia credit) or at most $99.

that's my plan at least. but i'm fairly used to paying more than the subsidized price for phones since i tend to change my secondary phone like every 3 months out of boredom
    Ah, so I'm NOT the only one who does this :)
    04-25-2012 12:28 PM
    The huge advantage is you don't have to pay up the wazoo for AT&T's monthly plans. You can use an MVNO like Red Pocket, Smart Talk, Bolt, etc. and pay half or less even.

Apparently AT&T's family plays are more competitively priced, but if you're an individual, I don't know why you would use them as your carrier.
    04-25-2012 12:36 PM
    Not to hijack the thread but also this is my plan. With the combined money from selling the Lumia 900 and my iPhone 4 I will get a new WP8 Lumia or yes the iPhone 6 may also be on my radar.
    04-25-2012 01:56 PM
    add me to the club I always roll this way.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-25-2012 02:04 PM
    Sounds like the OP has money to burn if he can buy a 900 off contract.
    04-25-2012 02:43 PM
    I got a job and fortunate that i can buy my phones off contract outside of iPhone but i also sell whatever current phone I have to get some of my money back so one helps pay for the other simple math

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-25-2012 03:19 PM
    Yeah, if I can get $300 for my Focus S and $100 for my Focus (paid $350 and $150, respectively, and used for 2 months and 5 months), that's really close to $475 after tax for a 900 ;)
    04-25-2012 05:33 PM
    Yeah, if I can get $300 for my Focus S and $100 for my Focus (paid $350 and $150, respectively, and used for 2 months and 5 months), that's really close to $475 after tax for a 900 ;)
    I have a similar thinking here. Looking to get $300 for my Vivid and then I can pay up the balance of $475.
    04-25-2012 06:42 PM
    I guess if your already under contract with Att and you can only purchase for the no commitment price, the depending on which phone you have could be a benefit. For example if you are switching from an Iphone or a good androrid phone you can sell it on ebay or craigslist and sometimes get well over 400 bucks depending on which phone you have. I sold my 32gig Iphone for 575 so the benefit was for me to get the no commitment price of 449 minus 100 from nokia =349. So I still get a 226 profit and my phone.
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-25-2012 07:33 PM
    $450 brand new off contract is a great price for a smartphone.

Well it was a great price until Google/Samsung decided yesterday to sell the Galaxy Nexus unlocked pentaband off contract for $399! Works on even the $10/month AT&T family unlimited data plan.

But getting back to the Lumia 900.

Some people don't qualify for upgrade pricing. Or some people want to save their upgrade
    for upcoming new super phones. Windows 8 phones, Galaxy S3, sixth gen iPhone all coming up and rest assure some of those phones won't cost $450 full price, especially the iPhone.
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-25-2012 07:37 PM
    I have a similar thinking here. Looking to get $300 for my Vivid and then I can pay up the balance of $475.
    We Wisconsinites have good ideas ;)
    $450 brand new off contract is a great price for a smartphone.
    Funny story about that. After I wrote my last post in this thread, I went to the ATT store. The guy asked if I was renewing a contract or starting new service, and when I said "buying it outright," he replied with "...I wouldn't do it for that phone, but that's me." OK, don't sell a $450 phone Before I mentioned I was a WP user already, he probably hadn't pegged me as a walkover.

But I didn't walk out with one :blush: Anyway...
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-25-2012 08:18 PM
    Sounds like the OP has money to burn if he can buy a 900 off contract.
    Actually, buying it off contract is the thing to do if you want to save money. Use it on an MVNO instead of AT&T and within 7 months you will have saved $450-$550 (price of the phone off contract, minimum) and within a year you will have saved hundreds of dollars than if you bought the phone on contract from AT&T.
    04-26-2012 11:01 AM
    For me, it's partly a matter of principle. ATT has been absolutely horrible despite my using them for many years. Why should I commit to them if I don't have to? Why let ATT be the one to choose when i'm allowed to have a new phone?

I have an iPhone 4, i'm eligible for an upgrade, and I bought the 900 off contract.
    If i end up hating it, i'll return it with no problem.
    If i end up loving it, i'll still want to upgrade my device next year, and $450 is fine for a device that gets used as much as a smartphone.
    If i end up loving it, but the iPhone 5 turns out to be MINDBLOWING, i'll sell the 900 and have my upgrade for the iPhone 5.

it's hedging my bets, kinda.
    04-26-2012 03:37 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD