"Wow, what kind of phone is that???"

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I got the "what kinda phone is that?" question at the bar today :) it caught her eye, but quickly frowned after she saw it was an ATT phone (she was on VZW). They need to get Nokias on other carriers quick!

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just don't know why people have such carrier loyalty. I have at&t because I have an awesome discount and always have the cash to buy out if I need to. My wife is rocking a unlocked galaxy nexus now. Verizon (in my experience) SUCKS on customer service, locks down their phones more, and installs more crap. Gotta say - wife's galaxy nexus is awesome... Still like my Lumia 900 though - got my fair share of coworkers checking the phone out.

Meengene

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
As good? How about better? D@mn Apple snobs.

I guess I'm a snob then too, because I think the HTC one x looks a lot better than the Nokia ( I know it's two diff operating systems, im talking pure looks). Feels better against my ear as well.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm a snob then too, because I think the HTC one x looks a lot better than the Nokia ( I know it's two diff operating systems, im talking pure looks). Feels better against my ear as well.

Never really been one to hold a phone up to my ear long enough to tell whether or not it feels good. It seems to me that it's more about how it feels in your hand vs. against the ear. I don't really like to touch it against my face much.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I think the Nokia looks better. It looks nice... but to me, it just seems sort of boring.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The HTC one X looks just like another hideous Android to add to the pile. Nothing remotely unique or tasteful about its design IMO. Which is too bad because HTC has shown they are more capable of making attractive and well made stuff than most of the Korean Android crap factories churn out.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I have not experienced anything like the OP. Maybe because I have a black Lumia and it's very unnoticeable.

The HTC one X looks just like another hideous Android to add to the pile. Nothing remotely unique or tasteful about its design IMO. Which is too bad because HTC has shown they are more capable of making attractive and well made stuff than most of the Korean Android crap factories churn out.

The one thing I like about the HTC One X are those pin contacts on the back of the case for docking purposes. I wish more manufacturers would implement that technology or maybe even make it an industry standard.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I certainly got a lot of attention in Starbucks. This is my 4th WP7 devices, and Lumia Cyan definitely stands out. :) Good job Nokia.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I like about the HTC One X are those pin contacts on the back of the case for docking purposes. I wish more manufacturers would implement that technology or maybe even make it an industry standard.

Agreed. That is a great feature and the One X has great specs. I just don't care for the design much.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One X will sell a gazillion because OMGZ 4.7" screen HUGE *** SCREEN!!!! Look at how many Galaxy Notes have been sold, that thing is a freakin tablet!

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
For me it wasn't really the design aspect, but more of a meld of hardware and software. Hardware, the screen on these Lumias is just ridiculous imo. Everything just pops out, and looks like it's either printed on the screen or it's floating, and that's what catches the attention of people around me despite having a black device. What draws them even more are the quick and smooth transition effects. Microsoft pulled an Apple with this by wowing with super smooth effects despite it taking time from going from one screen to another; people just love this. It really creates that illusion that the device is fast and smooth, and that's what people want to feel, and that's certainly what people do feel. One classmate of mine pulled out his Motorola Atrix, and complained of how it lags going between home screens, then demonstrated it, and then reaffirmed that Windows Phone is better, faster and smoother. I let another person use my phone to get a feel, showed them the people hub, etc, and they were thoroughly wowed.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
For me it wasn't really the design aspect, but more of a meld of hardware and software. Hardware, the screen on these Lumias is just ridiculous imo. Everything just pops out, and looks like it's either printed on the screen or it's floating, and that's what catches the attention of people around me despite having a black device. What draws them even more are the quick and smooth transition effects. Microsoft pulled an Apple with this by wowing with super smooth effects despite it taking time from going from one screen to another; people just love this. It really creates that illusion that the device is fast and smooth, and that's what people want to feel, and that's certainly what people do feel. One classmate of mine pulled out his Motorola Atrix, and complained of how it lags going between home screens, then demonstrated it, and then reaffirmed that Windows Phone is better, faster and smoother. I let another person use my phone to get a feel, showed them the people hub, etc, and they were thoroughly wowed.

Essentially what Apple does for a transition effect is zoom in/zoom out. Microsoft does a kind of flip animation where the current view is "flicked away" revealing the other app/hub which was always there. Definitely a cooler effect. Cupertino - fire up your photocopiers!!! I wonder if Microsoft has a patent on this transition effect.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just don't know why people have such carrier loyalty. I have at&t because I have an awesome discount and always have the cash to buy out if I need to. My wife is rocking a unlocked galaxy nexus now. Verizon (in my experience) SUCKS on customer service, locks down their phones more, and installs more crap. Gotta say - wife's galaxy nexus is awesome... Still like my Lumia 900 though - got my fair share of coworkers checking the phone out.

Either AT&T or VZW works well where I live, but I like the ability to use voice/data simultaneously via the mobile network, and I get a FAN discount, so I am sticking with AT&T.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Either AT&T or VZW works well where I live, but I like the ability to use voice/data simultaneously via the mobile network, and I get a FAN discount, so I am sticking with AT&T.

VZW LTE devices can use voice/data simultaneously. They are even working on Voice Over LTE (which I hope ATT adopts), so that your device doesn't have to drop to 3G just to use voice.

ballroomdru

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

The carrier loyalty is about history. ALOT of people in NYC had Verizon and went months between dropped calls or fast busy signals. As in 100% landlines reliability. Then they switched to AT&T for the iPhone. And then the dropped calls started happening. And then they would not be able to connect with full bars. You see, AT&T had only 5 years prior started making a conversion from a VERY good TDMA network to a not so good GSM network and they were not ready to handle the iPhone. So after 2 years of non perfect service, people ran back to Verizon with open arms and in their hearts said they would never do AT&T again.

When the iPhone went to Verizon literally half of the customers were former AT&T iPhone users. And almost a quarter of those paid the ETF to switch. A bad network experience leaves a very bad taste in people's minds. Hence why even though Sprint has been a very good service for the last 5-7 years, people STILL don't trust them.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss