Misreading HSPA+ as LTE

davep1982

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So today I had to restart my lumia 900 because it would not connect to a data network. I always have full bars of 4g coverage in this area. After a restart it displays my data as LTE. Well I got excited and checked the ATT coverage map and lo and behold, no LTE on my side of the state. Nothing even planned. I figure this is a bug. Has this happened to anyone else?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually talked to somebody at an ATT store saying sometimes when they are testing LTE, any LTE phone in the area will actually have LTE on there phone. It will come and go but will happen more and more closer to launch. The At&t employee said they see it a few times since January here in Seattle as Seattle should launch LTE by the end of Summer. :)

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Download the Bandwidth app and next time you see an LTE indicator when you know you're not in an LTE area, do a bandwidth test and report back.

With LTE, I'm getting 10-20mbs down (avg of about 15mbs) and 4-5mbs up.

With 4G (HSPA+), I'm getting about 5-7mbs down.

davep1982

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The bandwith app is dead in the water. It was using speedtest.net servers and received a cease order. Otherwise that would have been my first move.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So today I had to restart my lumia 900 because it would not connect to a data network. I always have full bars of 4g coverage in this area. After a restart it displays my data as LTE. Well I got excited and checked the ATT coverage map and lo and behold, no LTE on my side of the state. Nothing even planned. I figure this is a bug. Has this happened to anyone else?

It's possible they are testing LTE in your area. I remember before my area had 3G several years ago that a few months leading up to it officially being turned on in my area every once in awhile I would get a flash of the indicator on my iPhone 3G. Then one morning I woke up and boom; 3G was here.

Oh yea and Bandwidth sucks, it's not even close to accurate. In fact I don't find any of the WP7 meters to be accurate. Where is speedtest.net?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh yea and Bandwidth sucks, it's not even close to accurate. In fact I don't find any of the WP7 meters to be accurate. Where is speedtest.net?
How do you know BandWidth sucks? It reports WiFi speeds +/- 250Kbps of my home PCs when they run speedtest.net. Seems pretty accurate to me.

Btw, I tested every other speed test app in Marketplace and none of them report anything for LTE or 4G (HSPA+). All I get is my old 3G results of 1.2 to 1.6Mbps. But based on downloads and streaming I know I am getting LTE (15-19Mbps) speeds in the house.

Btw2, if your device is unlocked, the BandWidth XAP has been posted at XDA-Developers.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind the carriers can actually label as they please especially in regards to "4G", and it doesn't necessarily have to be so.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Your phone will show LTE when it is connected to LTE, if it is connected to HSPA+ then it will show up as 4G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon