Any way to get the $35 restocking fees waived at ATT store?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to get out of paying the restocking fees when you return a phone at the ATT store? Are there any situations where this could happen? Any tips that could work while returning it at the store? Any ATT employees want to comment?

erichunt

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure since they do a good job of informing you of the fee during the purchase of the phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your gift of gab and your charisma. Sorry, but if you're trying to skirt policy, you're going to need it. Take it from someone that up until now, goes through about 4-5 phones/year. Gotta know the ropes

dyne2199

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It never hurts to ask one of the Sales Associates if you can have the fee waived, but make sure you have an account in good standing, make sure you have the phone's box (and all of the included accessories inside), make sure you're within the return grace period, and make sure the phone has no cosmetic blemishes. As long as you explain why the phone needs to be returned, and you're courteous to the staff, they may be able to do something for you. Just remember: There are no guarantees.

As previous posters have said, the SA's usually do a good job of explaining ETF's, overage fees, and restock fees, but it never hurts to ask. Just be professional with them and they will be more inclined to work with you.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I paid the $35 restocking fee. It is what it is. Clearly documented in the box.

I returned the lumia 900 because
1. LTE is disabled during voice calls
2. AT&T throttles data during voice calls to 1mpbs download and less than dial up upload

I got a text saying I would get a $100'credit. Maybe i get the credit. Maybe not. If not. I will just call customer service and get the $35 credit to my bill because of my "troubles" with data. They already noted my account for data problems and the $100 credit.

AT&T needs to do a better job explaining to customers their handsets that have LTE cannot handle LTE data during voice calls. I do not see it advertised as a disclaimer anywhere.

AT&T refuses to ackowledge they throttle data during voice calls for all smartphones LTE or HSPA phones. This has been confirmed by independent tests. I guess they are trying to pull a fast one on people assuming people wouldn't notice the decrease from 6-8 mpbs without voice call and the speeds drop down to 1mpbs download and dial up speeds for uploads during voice calls.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if you try to explain this info based upon the 80/20 rule, 80% of the customers don't care. Those that do are probably forum members or enthusiasts. I knew of this. Didn't bother me as I can count the number of times on 1 hand where I needed to surf the net while on a call, and when I did, it was fast enough for what I needed.

I hear what you're saying, but in the larger scheme of things, it's not necessary or needed for the masses. It would be a waste of breath.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if you try to explain this info based upon the 80/20 rule, 80% of the customers don't care. Those that do are probably forum members or enthusiasts. I knew of this. Didn't bother me as I can count the number of times on 1 hand where I needed to surf the net while on a call, and when I did, it was fast enough for what I needed.

I hear what you're saying, but in the larger scheme of things, it's not necessary or needed for the masses. It would be a waste of breath.

I have tmobile service as well and tmobile does not throttle data on voice like AT&T. That tells you AT&T is doing this on purpose.

Anyways AT&T has public relations nightmare if this secret throttling gets picked up by the mainstream media. Because one of their advertising efforts has been to promote surf and talk at the same time.

But getting back to the $35 restock fee. It's clearly explained by agents. Maybe u get lucky and get it waived. The AT&T store in northern Virginia has waived it in the past for me since the rep knew me well. I returned this nokia lumia 900 from orlando area store and didn't know the rep.

No big deal in the overall scheme of things.

chloemurphy

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This depends on a number of other factors as well. Mostly whether or not you want to be a giant jerk and ruin someone else's day. But also your reason for the return. If you are doing a warranty exchange there should be no restock. If you are one of those "omggggg I HAVE to have the white one! :(" then forget it. The only people who get waived restocking fees are the ones who come in and throw a huge temper tantrum and publicly embarrass both themselves and the rep. --employee who has to pay restock fees out of pocket if they're not charged.

fuunkychicken

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
if you purchase devices online then go to a corporate store to exchange there is no restocking fee. In fact when I went to exchange my black for a white lumia they credited my bill a penny due to tax differences lol. Not sure about returns, though.

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
When I exchanged my cyan for sexy white, I didn't have to pay a restocking fee because I preordered the device online. I was pleasantly surprised.. But if I return the white one, then there will be a restocking fee because I purchased it in store. So I guess I'll be ordering my phones from att.com from now on! =]

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Exchange vs returning are two different things. They charge for a return $35 restocking fee.
Exchange they do not charge.

pfe1223

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I originally ordered a Titan (via website). I waited until the Lumia 900 was released and then exchanged phones. At the store, they told me to return it via the mail so I won't pay the restocking fee. When I called up the customer care line they said I should not pay the fee, so I could go to any store. They never explained why this was the case. I had them note it in my electronic file. When I went back to the store, I told them I was told I did not have to pay the fee; they could even look it up in my file. Sure enough, I never had to pay a restocking fee. I still don't know why I got off the hook, it can be done though.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I returned two and didn't pay a restocking fee on either. I think it depends on the rep that handles the transaction.

As an aside, I was bilked out of my unlimited data plan when I activated the Lumia. I called customer service when I had it activated so I could do it as an "alternate upgrade". The rep put me on hold to get a manager to approve my unlimited data plan being switched over to the Lumia. By the end of the phone call she assured me the unlimited plan was now switched from my iPhone 4S to the Lumia. I found out 4 days later that my plan had actually been switched to the 300 mb plan! Well, they can drop you off that plan in the blink of an eye but apparently its going to take a direct command from God to get it put back on. There is a case ticket in to try to get it reinstated from the date it was switched but the estimated date of resolution is 5/5/12. I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile I'm rocking a 300 mb plan and mad as ****. :mad:I packed up the phones and took them back. If they are going to use deceitful practices to get people off their unlimited plans, I will let my contracts expire and find another carrier. I don't use a ton of data but my discount through my employer doesn't cover the new data plans unless you choose the $50 plan. So basically I would get less data and pay more money. Can you imagine the heart attack I would have had after seeing the overages from a full billing period thinking I still had unlimited data when in fact I only have a 300 mb plan? So, to make a long story even longer, I think the rep that did the returns felt bad that I lost my unlimited data and didn't charge me the restocking fees.

PGHTransitHelp

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
( Ftap) Exchange vs returning are two different things. They charge for a return $35 restocking fee.
Exchange they do not charge.
Bull crap! We wanted to exchange a Gray 32 GB iPhone 5S for a gold one and not only were STILL Charged the restocking fee but didnt receive the taxes back on the Gray and STILL Had to pay taxes on the Gold! So much for the lies and hidden things about AT&T Next plus due to APPLE Supply screw ups its not like its not bad enough to be without a usable phone 28-50 freakin days

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i got a lumia 920 through customer service (611) and i had to return it because the ear piece was cutting in and out. they told me to go to the store and get a replacement because it would be faster than returning in mail. i did that and the store charged me a $35 restocking fee. i called up customer service and told them about the restocking fee and they credited my account $38 and some change. so i ended up coming ahead 3 dollars and some change on my bill. the rep i talked to with customer service was in agreement with me that she didnt know why the stores charge a restocking fee when you are still in your 14 day buyers remorse period.

Linda Dawson

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I have been doing buisness with AT&T for over 10 years. Until last April I did not have to pay a restocking fee when I purchased a new phone at the AT&T store. My husband had bought a andriod phone a month earlier and I do not remember him having to pay a restocking fee where as I bought a non andriod cell phone. There are only three ways to stop the restocking fees. One buy your phone on line. Two start sending in customer feed back complainging about it. Maybe if enough people complain something will change. Three go to anyother carryier then tell AT&T why you did so.

What really sucks is I got ambushed with the restocking fee at the check out! If it were not for the fact the phone I had was not functioning I would have walked away

Last edited:

Linda Dawson

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I had an unlimited data plan for $10/month from AT&T. Then my husband decided to get a smart phone and lost his unlimited data plan. Instead of looking for a regular cellphone that was durable like I did. Then he started going over his monthly data limit and they would bill us for an addtional GB of data weither we wanted it or not. So instead of checking to see why his data was going so fast (IE checking to see if he had any apps running that burnt data even when he wasn't using his phone) He traded in my unlimited data plan for a family shared 4gb data plan with out consulting me first. Then and continued to go over our data limit. finally when we got U verse we got 6gb a month for less than what we had paid for 4 gb and the bitter irony is he is now making sure his apps are off when he turns is phone off and we barely use half our data each month.

Also I recently recived a phone tablet from someone who bought an unlocked tablet on amazon. AT&T informed me that they charge 10/month if you do not buy their over priced tablets. AT&T is coming very close to burning though all the good will 9 years of good customer service had previously bought them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss