Nokia Maps or Maps?

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nokia maps app and, of course the bundled maps app. Does anyone have an opinion about one being better?

I hate having redundant apps. its a little OCD.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how you can't use your contact list with nokia maps or drive. You have to manually enter the address in. Unless I am missing something.

Maps (Bing Maps) is much better for the integration.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Did not bother downloading Nokia Maps, as it is redundant. Nokia Drive, different story.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nokia drive is nice but the problem is you can't click on an address in the people hub and then get directions to it. You have to memorize the address then enter it in. Kind of a let down.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia drive is nice but the problem is you can't click on an address in the people hub and then get directions to it. You have to memorize the address then enter it in. Kind of a let down.

Click it, it opens Maps, then highlight it, then copy and paste it into Drive. That's what I've been doing, it's a hassle though. Having offline ability is really nice though. I'm assuming in Windows Phone 8, we'll be given the option maybe of being able to choose which app to do with what info.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I really like the Nokia Maps interface, especially the traffic and public transportation overlays. However, Bing Maps is better for points of interest. I use both, depending on my needs.

pfe1223

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nokia maps are just a slower version of the Bing maps already on the device. They are also powered by Bing maps.

Not true. MS paid a bunch of money to Nokia on the announcement of the WP transition. One of the reasons for this was access to Navteq, a GPS company Nokia purchased. The Navteq satellites will be providing the information for Bing Maps. Undoubtedly, the rollout of this will take some time. I have no idea how much of the Navteq information currently underlies Bing Maps. Perhaps this might be a reason to use Nokia Maps. But, like many have stated, the integration of Maps makes for a much more useful experience. Turn by turn directions from Navteq are only available in Nokia Drive.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wish that they could turn the (bing maps into a hybrid of bing maps and nokia drive)

that would be awesome. Right now the integration with Nokia Drive doesn't make any sense. They have the ability to alter some of the OS. They should have added contact support for it so that you can look it up. Also you should be able to use it if you are using Bing Scout or Bing Local for driving directions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3