My review of the Lumia 900 after owning a 710 and Focus

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
All in all I am enjoying my Black Lumia 900.

Before this I had a Nokia Lumia 710 developer phone, it was good, but it was just a tad small @ 3.7".

Before the Lumia 710 I had a Samsung Focus.

No phone is perfect, the Focus was great with its expandable memory, AMOLED screen and being in the middle for size of the 2 it felt good in hand and pocket. It was also the lightest of the bunch.

The one thing I disliked about the Focus was the back/windows/search buttons were too easily "touched" especially during game play.. very frustrating. The camera was quite good and the overall function was good.

The Lumia 710 was nice, it was faster than the Focus and I liked the actual push buttons for the back/win/search on the phone which prevented any accidental presses. I disliked the position of the on/off button on the 710 and the screen was not as nice.

The Lumia 900 is fast, I have LTE here so its perfect. The screen is beautiful with amazing blacks. It is a touch large, but I have only twice accidentally hit the back/win/search buttons. Also, typing is much easier with the larger screen.

The camera is hit or miss on the Lumia 900.. I have had some great pictures and some that I couldn't even take. The Focus was slow to focus and the 710 was just mediocre. I do hope that Nokia comes out with a fix for the camera issue. One of the selling points was the Carl Ziess lens, but without the tech utilizing the lens its just not spectacular.

The screen on the Lumia 900 is just sick, I lined up all 3 phones and compared the displays. I used to think the Focus' AMOLED was so great, but beside the Lumia 900, the Focus just looked like it was full of glare and the whites were bleeding all over the screen.. The 900s screen was very sharp and very clear. The Lumia 710 is ok, but can't compete with the screens of the Lumia 900 and Focus.

Speedwise, I also tested how fast each would launch Plants vs Zombies, The Lumia 900 took all of 15 seconds to get to the "Tap to Start" point. The Lumia 710 was second at 17 seconds and the Focus was 23 seconds. Not sure why the 710 was slower cause I thought the specs were almost the same in terms of processing power/ram.

One of my favorite things with the Lumia 900? the Nokia Blue theme color :)

I also enjoy the Nokia specific apps as well. There isn't much for the Focus from Samsung.

I was going to hold out for the Apollo phones but I do not regret upgrading from my Focus/710. I'm pretty sure that within the next year I will probably get a new phone once WP8 comes out anyways but my Nokia Lumia 900 will definitely be able to keep me grinning and happy til the next gen of hardware comes out.

MJRusso45

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
This is perfect for since I am coming off of a Focus and wanted a solid comparison of the two. Thanks! Looking forward to my White 900!

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The white is an EXCELLENT choice. I'm happy with mine (except when I'm in a doubting mood), find it much nicer than my previous cyan one in the hand. Not sure if its the glossy finish or if the actual polycarbonate is curvier, but the sides seem more rounded, the curve of the back more noticeable and evident.

I too, had the focus, and agree the lumia is zippier.

Have fun!

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to go on a tangent, but I'm new to Win OS and was curious about Apollo. I've read that it's coming down the pipe sometime soon, but will the Lumi 900 be able to run it without any issues? Coming from the Android world OS upgrades are a big deal. LOL

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree with your review. I had the Samsung Focus, my gf has the Lumia 710, and I also thought I would wait for Apollo. Instead, I'm now in love with my cyan Lumia 900.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to go on a tangent, but I'm new to Win OS and was curious about Apollo. I've read that it's coming down the pipe sometime soon, but will the Lumi 900 be able to run it without any issues? Coming from the Android world OS upgrades are a big deal. LOL
The truth is that nobody knows. Unfortunately, we need to wait for Microsoft/Nokia to give some official info about that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720