Is the camera a deal breaker for anyone?

vantil

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you overdid that contrast a bit.

OP, try it yourself if you can.
Frankly, most people, even the (phone)reviewers are clueless when it comes to rating camera performance. They just don't know cameras.
You can take horrible pictures with any camera. And most likely you will if you don't know how to use your camera and know nothing about lighting and photography.

People who take bad photos always blame the camera. No offence to anyone, but it's true. So if some people are happy with it and some people are not, most likely the camera is fine. ;)
I don't have the 900 myself.

p.s. Real men shoot CMOS.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find the camera to be better than my HD7, If you click on auto-fix on the camera side, it does lighten up low lit photos.

I will be holding out on the my next lumia purchase when Apollo 8 comes out. If it doesn't take good picks I will not be buying that device. I will buy another Windows Apollo 8 phone.

mdintx

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Interesting how opinions differ, I had the the X10 and was very disappointed in the the camera specially for indoor shots, the "spotlight" was a sorry excuse for a flash. When I went to the Atrix, it was so much better but the camera was not a high point of the Atrix. I then had the Vivid and it had an excellent camera, better than the 4s in my opinion.

Now I have the 900 and yes the camera isn't the greatest but I don't see that as a deal breaker for myself. The pictures I have taken with it are of acceptable quality for a cellphone camera, I would say that it is on par with my Atrix.

With the stock camera app, the results weren't always the best. Other camera apps, such as Vignette and Camera 360, produce really crisp results. There's an app out now called Camera ICS and the indoor shots with it are really nice.

The same seems to be true of the Lumia as well. Some folks have posted much better pics with some of the camera apps from the marketplace.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Here are some examples of indoor pictures.

As you can see my dogs is pretty pissed that the camera sucks too..

Look at how much background noise there is. I am not in the dark, this is during the day and it comes out pretty bad..

They are running the Camera Beta Test commercials right now, i saw it a bunch of times and cant help myself from cringing when the guy goes "even in low light settings"...

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Those are the same results I get dkp23.

Setting the ISO to 200 helps in some cases, but makes capturing a moving subject like a pet or a baby very difficult.

Other shots indoors are lousy no matter what you do...

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Here are some examples of indoor pictures.

As you can see my dogs is pretty pissed that the camera sucks too..

Look at how much background noise there is. I am not in the dark, this is during the day and it comes out pretty bad..

They are running the Camera Beta Test commercials right now, i saw it a bunch of times and cant help myself from cringing when the guy goes "even in low light settings"...

Agree, proud Lumia 900 user here, but I would NEVER say my phone takes good pictures in low light environment, not even close.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Those are the same results I get dkp23.

Setting the ISO to 200 helps in some cases, but makes capturing a moving subject like a pet or a baby very difficult.

Other shots indoors are lousy no matter what you do...

I tried every setting combo i could think of, it comes out the same. I agree it may come out a little better, but with the sacrifice of color...

I think it is safe to say that the Camera is the issue not the USER!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Now here is a picture taken indoors at night with just the lamp on..

You still see background noise as expected in the dark, but look how much better it looks than an indoor somewhat lighted area during the day taken with the 900. I should not be seeing the type of background bluish noise in daylight pictures indoors..inexcusable..

This was taken with a focus S.

My GF is an avid photographer, not a professional one and when i got the samsung focus s, she made fun of me cuz it was a windows phone....Then i started taking pictures and she was quite surprised and actually said at one point "should i get one too?" to replace her iphone 4. I told her no cuz i know she wont like the OS....Fast forward to getting the 900, she was like "why did you switch phones? the camera sucks!" Take it for what that is worth...

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a picture taken in low light settings...

I'll take some and get them up in a day or two. I was just sitting around watching TV and reading posts yesterday and snapped a few. Let me clean up after the kids are gone, and I'll do a couple.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you use flash? It's there ya know. Even in the daylight sometimes flash helps. Natural light and electric lighting are two different things. Also gives you a different picture temperature. Notice how if you take a pic when the sun is almost down and you face the photo subject to the light you will still get a better pic on most cases versus a pic taken indoor with a lamp light.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line is that the camera sucks on the Lumia 900. Was really hoping that it would be as good as the iPhone 4S but it's the worst camera I have had in a mobile phone in years.

Oh well...good thing I dont use the camera much :)

cdd543

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to justify keeping the phone when it's launching the same time there are so many good camera phones out there like the 4s, htc one series...Galaxy S3 coming soon will probably improve on the very good Galaxy s2. Hopefully an update will come soon addressing it.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
absolutely not. I knew what I was getting into as far as the camera goes before I got my Lumia so it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone thats disappointed, you simply didn't do your homework.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
As much as I don't like taking pics on this phone, I can't leave the blue

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Man I tell ya, the thing is no iPhone 4S but it takes damn good pictures. I think it may be like some of the other problems with this phone. Some hardware is just bad, period. I went through two cyan 900s before I got a white one. This one is a keeper. Perfect. Display, buttons, radios, camera everything, good. And with a camera, it's got a lot to do with who is taking the pictures. Check out some of the pics in the pictures thread for the Lumia. It's obvious the photographer has a lot to do with it (and I don't mean me, I suck at photography).
-joe-

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you use flash? It's there ya know. Even in the daylight sometimes flash helps. Natural light and electric lighting are two different things. Also gives you a different picture temperature. Notice how if you take a pic when the sun is almost down and you face the photo subject to the light you will still get a better pic on most cases versus a pic taken indoor with a lamp light.

i shouldnt need to flash indoors on a sunny day like i never had to with my iphone 4 or focus s.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointed with the camera at a wedding this past weekend. At the reception which was at night and the room at low light conditions, the camera was atrocious. The flash somehow makes the photos worse. Here is an example of the same light conditions but one with flash and the other with no flash and all other settings are default.

No Flash:
WP_000058.jpg

Flash:
WP_000059.jpg

Also in video mode, the camera has a really hard time focusing on something. It's constantly adjusting focus and it's very noticeable.

But I don't use cameras on phones that often so I'll still be keeping the Lumia and hopefully Nokia WP8 offerings won't disappoint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes