05-12-2012 02:12 PM
133 12345 ...
tools
    But that's the thing--as of right now, there's only a handful of "really good" phone cameras. Innovation will continue, but the reality is you need a 4S, N8, Titan II, etc.

I'm not excusing the 900's camera. It should be better (that f/2.2 CZ lens alone...man...) though it's not a deal breaker to me. To go off-topic a bit, the 900's deal breakers are the QC issues, SIM tray fitment, and imprecise screen.

In all likelihood, I don't hold camera phones in a high regard because I am a photography enthusiast. I also spend hours a day fixing cell phone pictures and explaining to people why the pics look not very good...
    05-01-2012 02:18 PM
    God, these photos are just noisy garbage. How did Nokia let this thing into the wild?

The apologist arguments are so tired. The iPhone 4 came out almost TWO full year ago, and Nokia can't release something even marginally competitive? Samsung's cameras have been awesome for a while now, even on WP7 (Focus S) HTC stepped up their game in the fall, and the new One series is even better.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/htc-o...shots/#4932904

Soo.. yeah. That's a pretty brutal comparison if you look at the One X.
    Last edited by tekhna; 05-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    05-01-2012 04:08 PM
    They are running the Camera Beta Test commercials right now, i saw it a bunch of times and cant help myself from cringing when the guy goes "even in low light settings"...
    Yeah... Imo they're just setting themselves up for failure with that one. Funny commercial.
    05-01-2012 09:39 PM
    You're getting getting the phone for $99.. and the camera works fine, and can produce amazing shots if you learn how to adjust your settings and stop relying on auto everything like a sheep.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-01-2012 10:40 PM
    God, these photos are just noisy garbage. How did Nokia let this thing into the wild?

The apologist arguments are so tired. The iPhone 4 came out almost TWO full year ago, and Nokia can't release something even marginally competitive? Samsung's cameras have been awesome for a while now, even on WP7 (Focus S) HTC stepped up their game in the fall, and the new One series is even better.

HTC One X sample shots - Engadget Galleries

Its pretty obvious a lot of those pictures are taken with HDR turned on. Not that I am discrediting the camera on the OneX/S but there not just low light pictures without any photo editing
    05-01-2012 11:22 PM
    Its pretty obvious a lot of those pictures are taken with HDR turned on. Not that I am discrediting the camera on the OneX/S but there not just low light pictures without any photo editing
    Look at the amount of noise in those low-light One X photos vs. 900 photos. That has nothing to do with HDR.
    05-01-2012 11:33 PM
    LOL. This is great. It's a phone. You need a good camera, get a camera. Sheesh.
    -joe-
    05-02-2012 12:14 AM
    Some people want it all. Lol. I wouldn't feel so bad if the commercial didn't specifically say it took good pics even in low light situations. I'm going to sue for false advertisement. Lol.

05-02-2012 12:17 AM
    Here's a thought

its been stated that the lumia 900 has the exact same hardware as the lumia 800. if you look here in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/185412.htm . you will see that this hardware is capable of fantastic shots. i think theres hope
    05-02-2012 12:41 AM
    LOL. This is great. It's a phone. You need a good camera, get a camera. Sheesh.
    -joe-
    I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium the other day. Everybody was taking pictures, constantly. I saw maybe three non-phone cameras being used, and they were DSLRs. The fact is that high-end smartphones have rendered point and shoot cameras obsolete, just like they made the stand-alone GPS and PMP obsolete, and Nokia needs to be able compete.

And when you can take pictures like this with a phone (HTC Rezound), why do you need a camera? 99% of the time, your phone is good enough. Definitely some noise, definitely not a pro photo, but more than good enough for me to leave my camera at home, collecting dust.

Last edited by tekhna; 05-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    05-02-2012 12:54 AM
    Here's a thought

its been stated that the lumia 900 has the exact same hardware as the lumia 800. if you look here in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/185412.htm . you will see that this hardware is capable of fantastic shots. i think theres hope
    Okay i looked at the link and those photos are great all i can say is what the h*ll happened to our camera if it is the same geeeesh make me want to scream my a$$ off....
    Mister_RnB likes this.
    05-02-2012 02:45 AM
    As much as the camera makes me cringe in low light settings. Heck even semi low light settings I really enjoy the rest of the phone. If the Titan II had an AMOLED screen and better aesthetics I would get that because the camera is really great. For me the Lumia has a lot more going for it minus the camera. I'll hold on to it and wait to see what W8 phones have in store.
    05-02-2012 03:48 AM
    I think folks need to acknowledge that the camera is not on par with other OS' cameras (in auto settings). Then let it DIE.

But I think I found a solution for night time/low light settings: Go in the settings, go to Scenes, and pick Night. I think it'll come out better
    05-02-2012 04:17 AM
    Yes playing around with the settings help a lot.
    05-02-2012 04:27 AM
    I think folks need to acknowledge that the camera is not on par with other OS' cameras (in auto settings). Then let it DIE.

But I think I found a solution for night time/low light settings: Go in the settings, go to Scenes, and pick Night. I think it'll come out better
    If i wanted a bluish grainy picture, i'd change to that setting..

or use thumba to do the same exact effect...

I think most have played with the settings and lowlight comes out bad very grainy very color distorted and either very blue or very yellow...

Just look at your screen when in lowlight, look how grainy it is even before taking the picture...
    05-02-2012 11:46 AM

I think most have played with the settings and lowlight comes out bad very grainy very color distorted and either very blue or very yellow...

Just look at your screen when in lowlight, look how grainy it is even before taking the picture...

Make sure you post your complaints with the camera on Nokia's support forums. It will never get addressed otherwise.
    05-02-2012 12:32 PM
    Make sure you ask them for the 808 for the suffering a great phone with a suck camera

05-02-2012 02:21 PM
    But that's the thing--as of right now, there's only a handful of "really good" phone cameras. Innovation will continue, but the reality is you need a 4S, N8, Titan II, etc.

I'm not excusing the 900's camera. It should be better (that f/2.2 CZ lens alone...man...) though it's not a deal breaker to me. To go off-topic a bit, the 900's deal breakers are the QC issues, SIM tray fitment, and imprecise screen.

In all likelihood, I don't hold camera phones in a high regard because I am a photography enthusiast. I also spend hours a day fixing cell phone pictures and explaining to people why the pics look not very good...
    Not hardly. Just on AT&T:

SGSII
    Skyrocket (SGS2 LTE Variant)
    HTC Vivid
    Titan II
    Focus S
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    HTC One X

All have clearly superior cameras to this device. Even some 1st Gen WP7 devices produce better quality images. When you are open to carrier choice it gets even worse since Sprint and T-Mobile both have SGS II Variants and T-Mobile has the MT4G Slide, Amaze, and One S. Sprint and Verizon both have both iPhones and Verizon has a couple of Android phones that perform better.

Just staying on AT&T that's 8 better phone cameras. Counting all carriers you have 12+ smartphones that outperform the 900's camera for quality many of them offering far superior camera software to go with the clearly superior hardware. You don't even have to venture out of the WP7 hardware ecosystem to get better.

Plus, Nokia's QC has generally been poor with their devices, so if you're buying one you're buying mainly just for looks and maybe for the free Navigation App that's exclusive to them. Hardly a bargain, IMO.

No one expects their cell phone camera to perform like a DSLR, they just expect better results than this phone is putting out because late 2010 devices were doing better (apart form some HTC phones, they were bad with camera up until mid-2011).
    05-02-2012 03:50 PM
    Now let's list the other issues with the SGSII series of phones aside from the camera (which is average without the flash, and green with)...among which is the blue screen which makes photo editing difficult.

Weak vibrate, weak earpiece, weak external speaker, terrible speaker placement, 98% plastic build, etc. Oh, and how could I forget the good ones the Focus S has? The keyboard sound lag, the lag when plugged in, the sleepy WiFi, and the unusable auto brightness setting?

Still a good phone with shortcomings.
    Last edited by Press for Bacon; 05-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    05-02-2012 08:03 PM
    Today I got a chance to played the Nokia Lumia 900 [International Version]

The Camera seems to be fine... even the low-light conditions, Maybe they already fix this issue in the International Version !!

but still... the vibration still annoying :mad:
    05-03-2012 09:40 AM
    Not hardly. Just on AT&T:

SGSII
    Skyrocket (SGS2 LTE Variant)
    HTC Vivid
    Titan II
    Focus S
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    HTC One X

No one expects their cell phone camera to perform like a DSLR, they just expect better results than this phone is putting out because late 2010 devices were doing better (apart form some HTC phones, they were bad with camera up until mid-2011).

This. This camera is embarrassing.
    05-03-2012 11:08 AM

HTC One X sample shots - Engadget Galleries

Nice pics of San Francisco. They must've Photoshopped out all of the bums.
    nokia4life likes this.
    05-03-2012 03:34 PM

Sounds like your camera is jacked. I don't have that problem. And portrait helps as well
    05-03-2012 05:25 PM
    I just had a chance to compare the Lumia 900 camera with the iPhone 4S taking photos of whiteboard drawings. The 4S is WAY better, but the image from the Lumia 900 is readable. But it just isn't good enough in this market. Unless you're a WP freak like me, why wouldn't you get the best camera on the market?
    05-03-2012 05:59 PM
    Has anybody looked over at the lumia 800. Thread I posted in my earlier post. After the update the picture will be great.
    05-03-2012 06:29 PM
133 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD