Is the camera a deal breaker for anyone?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's a thought

its been stated that the lumia 900 has the exact same hardware as the lumia 800. if you look here in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/185412.htm . you will see that this hardware is capable of fantastic shots. i think theres hope

Okay i looked at the link and those photos are great all i can say is what the h*ll happened to our camera if it is the same geeeesh make me want to scream my a$$ off....

The def star

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
As much as the camera makes me cringe in low light settings. Heck even semi low light settings I really enjoy the rest of the phone. If the Titan II had an AMOLED screen and better aesthetics I would get that because the camera is really great. For me the Lumia has a lot more going for it minus the camera. I'll hold on to it and wait to see what W8 phones have in store.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think folks need to acknowledge that the camera is not on par with other OS' cameras (in auto settings). Then let it DIE.

But I think I found a solution for night time/low light settings: Go in the settings, go to Scenes, and pick Night. I think it'll come out better

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I think folks need to acknowledge that the camera is not on par with other OS' cameras (in auto settings). Then let it DIE.

But I think I found a solution for night time/low light settings: Go in the settings, go to Scenes, and pick Night. I think it'll come out better

If i wanted a bluish grainy picture, i'd change to that setting..

or use thumba to do the same exact effect...

I think most have played with the settings and lowlight comes out bad very grainy very color distorted and either very blue or very yellow...

Just look at your screen when in lowlight, look how grainy it is even before taking the picture...

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I think most have played with the settings and lowlight comes out bad very grainy very color distorted and either very blue or very yellow...

Just look at your screen when in lowlight, look how grainy it is even before taking the picture...

Make sure you post your complaints with the camera on Nokia's support forums. It will never get addressed otherwise.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you ask them for the 808 for the suffering a great phone with a suck camera

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
But that's the thing--as of right now, there's only a handful of "really good" phone cameras. Innovation will continue, but the reality is you need a 4S, N8, Titan II, etc.

I'm not excusing the 900's camera. It should be better (that f/2.2 CZ lens alone...man...) though it's not a deal breaker to me. To go off-topic a bit, the 900's deal breakers are the QC issues, SIM tray fitment, and imprecise screen.

In all likelihood, I don't hold camera phones in a high regard because I am a photography enthusiast. I also spend hours a day fixing cell phone pictures and explaining to people why the pics look not very good...

Not hardly. Just on AT&T:

SGSII
Skyrocket (SGS2 LTE Variant)
HTC Vivid
Titan II
Focus S
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
HTC One X

All have clearly superior cameras to this device. Even some 1st Gen WP7 devices produce better quality images. When you are open to carrier choice it gets even worse since Sprint and T-Mobile both have SGS II Variants and T-Mobile has the MT4G Slide, Amaze, and One S. Sprint and Verizon both have both iPhones and Verizon has a couple of Android phones that perform better.

Just staying on AT&T that's 8 better phone cameras. Counting all carriers you have 12+ smartphones that outperform the 900's camera for quality many of them offering far superior camera software to go with the clearly superior hardware. You don't even have to venture out of the WP7 hardware ecosystem to get better.

Plus, Nokia's QC has generally been poor with their devices, so if you're buying one you're buying mainly just for looks and maybe for the free Navigation App that's exclusive to them. Hardly a bargain, IMO.

No one expects their cell phone camera to perform like a DSLR, they just expect better results than this phone is putting out because late 2010 devices were doing better (apart form some HTC phones, they were bad with camera up until mid-2011).

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Now let's list the other issues with the SGSII series of phones aside from the camera (which is average without the flash, and green with)...among which is the blue screen which makes photo editing difficult.

Weak vibrate, weak earpiece, weak external speaker, terrible speaker placement, 98% plastic build, etc. Oh, and how could I forget the good ones the Focus S has? The keyboard sound lag, the lag when plugged in, the sleepy WiFi, and the unusable auto brightness setting?

Still a good phone with shortcomings.

Last edited:

Zzlovers

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Today I got a chance to played the Nokia Lumia 900 [International Version]

The Camera seems to be fine... even the low-light conditions, Maybe they already fix this issue in the International Version !!

but still... the vibration still annoying :mad:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Not hardly. Just on AT&T:

SGSII
Skyrocket (SGS2 LTE Variant)
HTC Vivid
Titan II
Focus S
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
HTC One X

No one expects their cell phone camera to perform like a DSLR, they just expect better results than this phone is putting out because late 2010 devices were doing better (apart form some HTC phones, they were bad with camera up until mid-2011).

This. This camera is embarrassing.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
God, these photos are just noisy garbage. How did Nokia let this thing into the wild?

The apologist arguments are so tired. The iPhone 4 came out almost TWO full year ago, and Nokia can't release something even marginally competitive? Samsung's cameras have been awesome for a while now, even on WP7 (Focus S) HTC stepped up their game in the fall, and the new One series is even better.

HTC One X sample shots - Engadget Galleries

Soo.. yeah. That's a pretty brutal comparison if you look at the One X.
Nice pics of San Francisco. They must've Photoshopped out all of the bums.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like your camera is jacked. I don't have that problem. And portrait helps as well

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just had a chance to compare the Lumia 900 camera with the iPhone 4S taking photos of whiteboard drawings. The 4S is WAY better, but the image from the Lumia 900 is readable. But it just isn't good enough in this market. Unless you're a WP freak like me, why wouldn't you get the best camera on the market?

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just had a chance to compare the Lumia 900 camera with the iPhone 4S taking photos of whiteboard drawings. The 4S is WAY better, but the image from the Lumia 900 is readable. But it just isn't good enough in this market. Unless you're a WP freak like me, why wouldn't you get the best camera on the market?

I guess for me I am hoping they come out with a fix for the camera but its not a deal breaker as I have a professional dslr and an auto shoot as well...

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The camera is truthfully the least important feature of a cell phone for me. If it was of any importance I would have got the 4s which does have an excellent camera. For the little that I use the camera, it is perfectly adequate and every other feature of the device more than make up for the camera.

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
For those having the camera wake up feature problem...is it not waking up even when you hold the button? I thought I had this issue but on my phone, when you hold the button for about 2 secs..it vibrates then wakes into camera mode...not sure if that< is the feature or is it just suppose to wake up when you press the button instead of press/hold?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
here we go more pics today i promise i am going to keep posting until these things work it self out like a arm at the gym the more pics i take maybe they will get better so there is todays batch... these are taken in very well lit room at work enjoy please comment if you choose. :straight:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
here we go more pics today i promise i am going to keep posting until these things work it self out like a arm at the gym the more pics i take maybe they will get better so there is todays batch... these are taken in very well lit room at work enjoy please comment if you choose. :straight:

Are you resizing those photos or taking them at a lower resolution? Those look worse than my old flip phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte