Is the camera a deal breaker for anyone?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you resizing those photos or taking them at a lower resolution? Those look worse than my old flip phone.

not resizing not even sure how to do that, on any other smartphone that i've owned (iphone 3gs, 4, 4s, htc inspire, samsung galaxy nexus, htc surround) all i ever did was open camera app and snap away. this is what the current size or stats are on the camera settings area

scenes (auto)
white balance (auto)
exposure value (0)
ISO (auto)
metering mode (center weighted) not sure what this means
effects (normal)
contrast (normal)
saturation (normal)
focus mode (normal)
resolution (8mp 4:3)
flicker Reduction (60hz) not sure what that means either.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
not resizing not even sure how to do that, on any other smartphone that i've owned (iphone 3gs, 4, 4s, htc inspire, samsung galaxy nexus, htc surround) all i ever did was open camera app and snap away. this is what the current size or stats are on the camera settings area

scenes (auto)
white balance (auto)
exposure value (0)
ISO (auto)
metering mode (center weighted) not sure what this means
effects (normal)
contrast (normal)
saturation (normal)
focus mode (normal)
resolution (8mp 4:3)
flicker Reduction (60hz) not sure what that means either.

You're on stock settings it looks like, and it's taking at 8mp. Wow. I'm shocked at how noisy those pictures are. Those are unacceptable photos, to me.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
here we go more pics today i promise i am going to keep posting until these things work it self out like a arm at the gym the more pics i take maybe they will get better so there is todays batch... these are taken in very well lit room at work enjoy please comment if you choose. :straight:

Those look pretty bad. However, I've found out something different from the photos I took: Most of the photos I took are 1.5MB~ 2MB, whereas yours are all less than 1MB. Is there any chance some settings went wrong? I mean, the camera sucks comparing to BSIs, but it's not that bad on my lumia 900...

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Those look pretty bad. However, I've found out something different from the photos I took: Most of the photos I took are 1.5MB~ 2MB, whereas yours are all less than 1MB. Is there any chance some settings went wrong? I mean, the camera sucks comparing to BSIs, but it's not that bad on my lumia 900...

those are what i guess happens once they go to skydrive and then you hit upload to this forum.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
those are what i guess happens once they go to skydrive and then you hit upload to this forum.

I tested the quality of the photos w/o going through SkyDrive upload. Just took the pics and emailed them to my Gmail direct. They're about 50% as good as the iPhone. Decent, but not excellent.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Comparison to flip phones is an over exaggeration. In general, flip phones couldn't hold a candle to smartphones without flash. I'd say around 2007, there a few handful of phones that had above average cameras (like that Motorola Kodak phone, but that's not a flip phone).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My previous device was the BlackBerry 9700. The Nokia Lumia 900 camera is much better than that on the BlackBerry 9700. I have no complaints about the Nokia Lumia 900 camera.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

lakrisnisse

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Today I got a chance to played the Nokia Lumia 900 [International Version]

The Camera seems to be fine... even the low-light conditions, Maybe they already fix this issue in the International Version !!

but still... the vibration still annoying :mad:

Ooooh, there may still be hope.........

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
here are some more these were taken by using the touch look at how different they come out why cant they be consistent?
Ironically, as an SLR shooter, I find the touch-to-focus to be primarily worthless in anything but broad daylight :p Gimme a two-position shutter button every time.

YMMV :)

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I have always been using the touch, a habit left over from the Atrix and the Vivid which didnt have the hardware camera button. So I decided to try the othrr way and took two pictures, exactly in the same spot, the first is with the two step button and the second with touch. It is a cloudy day, all settings on auto, no retouch.

Please ignore the lack of any semblence of composition, I was just trying to take a picture that would show different colors. :)

I do believe the first one, the one using the button is sharper. What do you all think?

Thanks much.

Last edited:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I used the touch in one and the button on the other hence why I made the comment as to why can't the pictures be consistent

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I used the touch in one and the button on the other hence why I made the comment as to why can't the pictures be consistent

I am no photographer but I think the difference comes from the button automatically choosing the best focus area vs the touch focussing on the exact touch area.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No camera focuses accurately 100% of the time. They just don't exist yet. With that out of the way...

Inconsistent focus can mean a variety of things. There's not enough contrast (or phase, to be precise) for the camera to detect, for one--try focusing on a white sheet of paper or a shiny black monitor. Then, focus on a cereal box. Big difference, right?

Next, the touch screen versus the button. The shutter button is a center focus whereas the screen is a multi-focus. Every camera (except the Lytro) has "focus points" inside it. The Catch-22 is that the center point is usually the biggest and strongest, if you will. Tapping off-center, you may end up between focus points. Heck, the phone camera sensor may only have a center point so it's up to the camera software to determine what you're trying to do. Automation = imprecise.

So basically, the takeaway is:

+Shutter button is center focus. More accurate, less convenient. Focus in the center, then recompose.
+Touch screen is variable focus points. Less accurate, more convenient. Use a long press for best results.

vampireszombies

May 4, 2012
Visit site
yup.

Here's some pics I took today in a well lit Walmart. It's like it can't focus and no stabilization. I stayed very still taking these.

Also in my car. Notice how the dash turned out.

All these were on regular settings, 8MP, White Nokia Lumia.
Just horrible. I really love the design of the phone, but a good camera is important to me. Will try and exchange for a GSII...:mad:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's some pics I took today in a well lit Walmart. It's like it can't focus and no stabilization. I stayed very still taking these.

Also in my car. Notice how the dash turned out.

All these were on regular settings, 8MP, White Nokia Lumia.
Just horrible. I really love the design of the phone, but a good camera is important to me. Will try and exchange for a GSII...:mad:

i getting the one x tomorrow when the store opens i went there today to play with it and compare the camera you know since they both are 8megs and guess what it clearly blows our crap out of the water. i took about 30 photos with the one x today and they all came out crips and very very nice it ran 50 circles around our camera. i will use that until the next offering form nokia and wp8 comes out and this time i will not keep talking myself into keeping it whent it doesn't do something thats advertised daum that one x camera is so sweet i will be sad to put my lumia on the shelf but my girls play soccer and volleyball and i like to take the pics and send them directly to family and friends on the spot not use my sony dslr and attach to the computer to just send out quick updates. if anyone wants to see what a good camera does go see for yourself at any att store like i did to see for yourself oh and i will post pics on this very thread tomorrow side by side comparison. i love the lumia and will return when the offer a better prodcuct hopefully oct. and don't kill me guys with rude comments i am not hating i just paid for 449.00 for a product and i expect it to perform as advertised and this doesn't.

vampireszombies

May 4, 2012
Visit site
i getting the one x tomorrow when the store opens i went there today to play with it and compare the camera you know since they both are 8megs and guess what it clearly blows our crap out of the water. i took about 30 photos with the one x today and they all came out crips and very very nice it ran 50 circles around our camera. i will use that until the next offering form nokia and wp8 comes out and this time i will not keep talking myself into keeping it whent it doesn't do something thats advertised daum that one x camera is so sweet i will be sad to put my lumia on the shelf but my girls play soccer and volleyball and i like to take the pics and send them directly to family and friends on the spot not use my sony dslr and attach to the computer to just send out quick updates. if anyone wants to see what a good camera does go see for yourself at any att store like i did to see for yourself oh and i will post pics on this very thread tomorrow side by side comparison. i love the lumia and will return when the offer a better prodcuct hopefully oct. and don't kill me guys with rude comments i am not hating i just paid for 449.00 for a product and i expect it to perform as advertised and this doesn't.
Yeah I get you, I really wanted to like it. But when I use the camera it feels like I downgraded. Hopefully AT&T lets me exchange, since this is will be my second exchange. :excl:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss