Nokia Drive Map Outdated!

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I like the simplicity of the Nokia Drive program, but it's a big disappointment that the Map database is so outdated!

I just came back from a trip in which it was essentially useless because it doesn't know about a major highway that opened up in Maryland last year. This is a 100 Level Interstate, not some County Rd!

Nokia owns Navteq - so there's little excuse for putting outdated maps into their flagship phone. I certainly failed to impress the other people in the car with my "Flagship" phone.

c'mon Nokia - update us with current data please!

clockworksnarf

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep, its quite outdated, I noticed this several times when driving around downtown testing out the app, good thing I know my way around downtown most of the time :-D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i 3rd this which is why i did not recommend the app because it had us going in circles in downtown dallas. I like the garmin street pilot and navigon over nokia drive, i would only recommend if folks were cheap and wanted wanted a free app other than that until they update it with street names instead of turn in 1000 ft , and updated maps its a no for me. and i would be willing to pay for a better nav app from them since they own navteq yet garmin and navigon apps are updated with my area which was built 3 years ago and nokia says my house doesn't exist.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you downloaded your state map or did you use the default? Haven't had a chance to test out the app but i did download my state map.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I assume you're referring to the intercounty connector? I just checked Google Maps, Nokia Maps, and Bing Maps: I got directions from Laurel, MD to Gaithersburg, MD. Only Google Maps instructed me to use the ICC for the entire way. Bing Maps and Nokia Maps don't have the ICC constructed east of MD-97. Nokia Maps told me to take back roads to get to the ICC at 97, while Bing Maps instructed me to take 95 to the Capital Beltway and then up 270.

I agree that there's no excuse why Bing Maps and Nokia Maps have not updated their basemaps to reflect the completion of the ICC. It's been five months since the extension opened.

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an odd issue where I can't download the US maps to my phone.
It gives me the opportunity to do so, and I click the download button.
But then I get this message about needing a wifi connection in order to proceed...thing is, I have the wifi connection enabled and working!
What else can i do?

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
i 3rd this which is why i did not recommend the app because it had us going in circles in downtown dallas. I like the garmin street pilot and navigon over nokia drive, i would only recommend if folks were cheap and wanted wanted a free app other than that until they update it with street names instead of turn in 1000 ft , and updated maps its a no for me. and i would be willing to pay for a better nav app from them since they own navteq yet garmin and navigon apps are updated with my area which was built 3 years ago and nokia says my house doesn't exist.

I did read somewhere on the Nokia Support forums that they are working on adding more features to Nokia Drive (eg: Traffic), although, I have no idea when they plan to finish with those updates or when they will release them to the Marketplace. I just got my phone today, so I haven't really tested out Nokia Drive yet. If it's not up to par, then I'll buy Street pilot. (Thanks for the heads up on Dallas maps, being a Dallas resident, I'll know to take directions from Nokia Drive with a grain of salt.)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the beta test over?

I really like the phone (I paid full price for it), but I've found that I've started carrying my HTC Vivid again.

I'm keeping the L9 as I think I'm going to teach myself to write apps for WP.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I assume you're referring to the intercounty connector? I just checked Google Maps, Nokia Maps, and Bing Maps: I got directions from Laurel, MD to Gaithersburg, MD. Only Google Maps instructed me to use the ICC for the entire way. Bing Maps and Nokia Maps don't have the ICC constructed east of MD-97. Nokia Maps told me to take back roads to get to the ICC at 97, while Bing Maps instructed me to take 95 to the Capital Beltway and then up 270.

I agree that there's no excuse why Bing Maps and Nokia Maps have not updated their basemaps to reflect the completion of the ICC. It's been five months since the extension opened.
Yup that's the road I rode on :)

It also can't find my house - keeps telling me to go the State Road behind the street I live on - but when I ignore it and drive to my street it suddenly "finds" it.

I know that Navteq loves to sell updates, but this makes me wonder when Nokia will update the outdated data they sold us?

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It is not just Nokia...it is gMaps as well. They extended the pier at Heritage Wharf in Bermuda and as per Nokia maps, bing and gmaps, i am in the water when i stand on that new extended pier :D

new? nope...it has been there for almost 3 years now. so i think the general map updates by everyone is a little slow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99