Where to buy an extra Nokia charging cable?

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So i was told at the AT&T store, and ive read it a few places, that I should have a Nokia cable to properly charge my 900. Too bad you cant find them anywhere. There are some beautiful, color matching ones here:

Nokia Europe - Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD - Overview

But of course you cant buy them from Nokia. Makes sense. I emailed Nokia Care or whatever and they told me the Nokia Care USA store closed in 2011 and then gave me a link to just amazon.com. Too bad nothing comes up in amazon when you search for the product code of CA-190CD.

I would KILL for one of those cyan ones, but id settle for a white one. Anybody found any official charging cables? Can anyone post a link?

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Again misinformation by these silly store reps.

Just go to eBay or Amazon and get any micro USB cable for a few bucks. Theres no need to buy the same exact one that came with your device any USB cable will do the trick.

I currently use cables that came with Motorola Atrix and an HP Pre3 and they work just fine. I havent even taken my Lumia's USB cable out of the box.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have used my Focus S cable, a Kindle cable, a Focus cable and a blackberry cable to charge my Nokia 900. That's the beauty of a single standard.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have found Monoprice to be a good site for cables. As others have pointed out you may actually have a cable that fits however-the Kindle, Nlackberries, many motorola phones, samsung phones mainly use MicroUSB cables so check and see :)

Cypz

May 30, 2011
Visit site
So i was told at the AT&T store, and ive read it a few places, that I should have a Nokia cable to properly charge my 900. Too bad you cant find them anywhere. There are some beautiful, color matching ones here:

But of course you cant buy them from Nokia. Makes sense. I emailed Nokia Care or whatever and they told me the Nokia Care USA store closed in 2011 and then gave me a link to just amazon.com. Too bad nothing comes up in amazon when you search for the product code of CA-190CD.

I would KILL for one of those cyan ones, but id settle for a white one. Anybody found any official charging cables? Can anyone post a link?

Yes, I came across the cables on Expansys.

White:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (White) #CA-190CD White - Expansys USA
Black:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (Black) #CA190CDNOIR - Expansys USA

or for those of you in Canada....
White:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (White) #CA-190CD White - EXPANSYS Canada
Black:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (Black) #CA190CDNOIR - EXPANSYS Canada

They also sell the charger + cable, but I have not heard back yet if it is the North American version for the power plug. The picture shows the Euro version. Charger links below.

USA:
Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16 #AC-16 - Expansys USA
Canada:
Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16 #AC-16 - EXPANSYS Canada

Hope that helps.

Cypz

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I came across the cables on Expansys.

White:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (White) #CA-190CD White - Expansys USA
Black:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (Black) #CA190CDNOIR - Expansys USA

or for those of you in Canada....
White:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (White) #CA-190CD White - EXPANSYS Canada
Black:
Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD (Black) #CA190CDNOIR - EXPANSYS Canada

They also sell the charger + cable, but I have not heard back yet if it is the North American version for the power plug. The picture shows the Euro version. Charger links below.

USA:
Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16 #AC-16 - Expansys USA
Canada:
Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16 #AC-16 - EXPANSYS Canada

Hope that helps.

Cypz
Awesome.. thanks for the links. wish the cyan was available. oh well. And thanks for the cable info guys. the guy at the AT&T store told me the nokia cables charged better because of the power distribution in them, or some nonsense like that. i took him for his word, because, of course he wasnt trying to sell me any because they didnt have any.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Awesome.. thanks for the links. wish the cyan was available. oh well. And thanks for the cable info guys. the guy at the AT&T store told me the nokia cables charged better because of the power distribution in them, or some nonsense like that. i took him for his word, because, of course he wasnt trying to sell me any because they didnt have any.

Must be a former Monster(R) Cable Sales Rep...

Last edited:

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I just received an order from Expansys USA and I can say that other than them taking a little long to ship everything was in original Nokia packaging and was in good working order. It's hard to understand their availability on items, some say usual ships in x days, some have dates when they will be available, and other say they are available. Overall a good experience and I was able to get the DC-16 USB charger that does not appear to be available anywhere else in the US.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
So i was told at the AT&T store, and ive read it a few places, that I should have a Nokia cable to properly charge my 900.

That is an amazing level of ignorance and/or duplicity. With friends like AT&T, Nokia really doesn't need any enemies.

CSB: My AT&T store could not get my contacts from my iPhone to my 900, either on purchase day, or a day later when I went back. Claimed their in-store machine "hadn't been updated" to handle the 900 yet (this was two weeks after release), and that doing it via Outlook would result in duplicate contacts. They were either utterly unaware, or else were deliberately hiding, the totally nifty Nokia app called Contacts Transfer. (Sit the two phones on the counter, fire up Bluetooth on each, and sixty seconds later the whole address book is stashed on the 900.) I think AT&T doesn't want people to go to the Nokia app store and notice things like Nokia Drive that are not only better than AT&T products... but also free.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

That's BS, just order a micro-USB cable from monoprice.com. I got a bunch for about $1 each including a 10 footer. You can order 10 cables and pay for shipping for the $22 price of the cables in those links above. Don't waste your money.

Any micro-USB cable will work.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I tend to stick to OEM chargers/USB cables. Yes you can use generic or from a different manufacturer, but I've had several incidents that didn't favor it. You just have to realize that some USB cables can only charge and not transfer data. Some cheap cables will have a nasty fit, where it may be too tight and ruin the pins on your phone. Both have happened to me in the past. And if it involves a broken USB port on your phone, warranty will not cover it (my experience with the Surround). Since then, I've stuck with the original.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I tend to stick to OEM chargers/USB cables. Yes you can use generic or from a different manufacturer, but I've had several incidents that didn't favor it. You just have to realize that some USB cables can only charge and not transfer data. Some cheap cables will have a nasty fit, where it may be too tight and ruin the pins on your phone. Both have happened to me in the past. And if it involves a broken USB port on your phone, warranty will not cover it (my experience with the Surround). Since then, I've stuck with the original.

The only thing cheap about monoprice's cables are the prices. The monoprice micro-USB cables I got fit better and more soundly than the Nokia one that wiggles around and feels like it is about to fall out.

I've never witnessed a USB cable that could only charge or do data. If that is the case that means it's broken.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The only thing cheap about monoprice's cables are the prices. The monoprice micro-USB cables I got fit better and more soundly than the Nokia one that wiggles around and feels like it is about to fall out.

I've never witnessed a USB cable that could only charge or do data. If that is the case that means it's broken.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to say monoprice cables are cheap. I was refering to it in general. If you know for sure and can recommend the cable, then I believe you. But otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it, because I've never heard of them. There are indeed cables that do charge only, with no data. It isn't broken, because they were intentionally built that way. It's missing certain pins.

joashshushi

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I wasn't trying to say monoprice cables are cheap. I was refering to it in general. If you know for sure and can recommend the cable, then I believe you. But otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it, because I've never heard of them. There are indeed cables that do charge only, with no data. It isn't broken, because they were intentionally built that way. It's missing certain pins.
I bought couple of these, palm OEMs, they are cheap and the same rating as Nokia (5V, 1A)

Amazon.com: Palm Pre Original Smart Phone AC USB Wall Adapter + Original Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Using the Nokia diagnostics app, I measured a difference in charging current between the white Nokia USB cable and a couple different generic USB cables--all plugged into the same OEM Nokia AC power button.

The Nokia cable seemed to charge about 100 mA stronger each time I tried. Also seemed to bring the phone to 100% more consistently, whereas the generic cables didn't always quite get there. That could have simply been that the phone had drifted off 100% and my timing was bad, but I saw it often enough to want to use the OEM set-up as my primary charger.

Last edited:

bobbye

May 5, 2012
Visit site

The prongs on the wall plug in the second set of links doesn't look like a U.S. one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss