Capacitive Buttons Issue

CheesyJif

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Is the issue regarding the capacitive buttons a software issue? I have noticed when I am playing certain games, music and videos, the phone will register a tap of the back button as a long press and a tap of the windows button will launch TellMe. Will Nokia fix this soon?

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the issue regarding the capacitive buttons a software issue? I have noticed when I am playing certain games, music and videos, the phone will register a tap of the back button as a long press and a tap of the windows button will launch TellMe. Will Nokia fix this soon?
If you can, take it back its a defective device

TreizFaction

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. This sucks, I already had to bring back my first Lumia b/c the SIM reader failed. Is this a software bug or will I need to take it back? Anyone else having this problem?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It happens to me occasionally and it is a software issue. Use Diagnostics to test the buttons. Mine worked 20/20 times, so it's not a defect. But exchange your phone if you can't live with it. I am sure it won't be long before Nokia addresses this, and a few other issues.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

clockworksnarf

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Its not a normal operation, return the phone for a new one. Nokia is looking into the problem but we're in the dark as far as when (if ever) an update will be released.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Its not a normal operation, return the phone for a new one. Nokia is looking into the problem but we're in the dark as far as when (if ever) an update will be released.

So now Nokia has to keep you updated as to what they are working on and when they will be finished. Maybe we should have all returned our WPs when they made our keyboards disappear. Frankly, I was tickled pink to get 500 new features, and 1 bug.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

TreizFaction

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
It's not that big of a deal to me, if they are working on a fix I can wait. I can exchange the phone any time, I just didn't want to go get another and have the same problem.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Try using a game, song, video with headphones in instead of the built in speaker. Does the issue do away? This was my problem and I returned it for a new one on day 29...haven't had a problem since. I think there is a short or some EMI between the capacitive buttons and speaker on some units. My 2 cents...

The ILLumianati

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problems as everyone else. The buttons work perfectly when sound is not playing out of the bottom speaker. Using headphones does away with the problem as well so for now I can deal with it. Hopefully this is just a software bug as I would like to not get another phone. But I guess we'll find out.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I am personally waiting for the next update before I send my phone out for a week or two to get repaired. I really think it's a software issue, I just hope Nokia recognizes it and works it into the next update.

ji37

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Update did not fix this for me

I've been having this same problem with the buttons, and unfortunately, it did not go away with the update yesterday.

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Same here, did the update and still the same.

I just contacted Nokia Support using live chat, and it looks like they aren’t aware of this issue, they told me to send the defective devices (I have 2 of them with this issue) to their repair center , the support person told me to return it to ATT, I told them I ran out of the 30 days return period , so they said "Since you are unable to get a replacement from AT&T, it would be best to send the device to our service center for assessment."

So yes, I guess they aren't aware of this and it’s not a known bug for them.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe those who have done the update but still have the problem should try a hard reset before sending it in?

I think (but am not 100% sure) that for some people, the data fix update didn't seem to work until they did a hard reset.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I sent my Lumia to Nokia for this button issue, the update didn't seem to fix it. It was getting really bad too, I couldn't use speakerphone or basically play any games or do anything that used the speaker on the bottom because the phone would constantly act like those buttons were being pushed.

I hope the unit I get back doesn't have this issue or I may have to get myself another windows phone, I really like the Lumia, and this was the only big issue I had with the phone.

ppoteet

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the capacitive buttons issue when I use headphones or listen to music on it. I becomes unresponsive for a day, then a day or so of the capacitive buttons acting up (with bing and voice command popping up), then they start to respond, except for the back button. After about 4 days it comes out of it.
This is my second L900 with the same issues.

Argo117

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This used to happen to me and I thought it was a software issue, but then I found that if I just wipe the capacitive buttons with a cloth the problem would be solved. It is usually solved if the buttons have some moisture or buildup on them from use--this creates a circuit and continues to engage the button's functions after your fingers leave them. I'd try that before returning the device as defective.

ppoteet

May 17, 2012
Visit site
This used to happen to me and I thought it was a software issue, but then I found that if I just wipe the capacitive buttons with a cloth the problem would be solved. It is usually solved if the buttons have some moisture or buildup on them from use--this creates a circuit and continues to engage the button's functions after your fingers leave them. I'd try that before returning the device as defective.

Dang, you might be on to something. The only time my phones acts up is when I use my headphones. Well, this is only when I go to the gym. Some exercises, I tuck my phone in my waistband so I don't crush it, and it comes out wet. I just wipe it off. I have noticed moisture in the 2nd camera. I will experiment with this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb