I returned by Lumia 900 two weeks ago but....

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Just picked another Lumia 900 on craiglist two days ago!!

I have a love/hate relationship with the Lumia 900 when I first brought it when it came out.

I am a phone junkie so go through several phones a year.

The Lumia's major limiation to me was the subpar camera. But I liked everything else about it. Especially since Nokia's "phone" portion of the "smartphone" actually works. I find the call quality crisp. It actually makes it enjoyable to have a conversation with people.

And battery life is much better on LTE than any Android LTE device I've used (I have both Verizon and ATT so had the Thunderbolt (that phone would be dead by 1-2PM with light use) and the Galaxy Nexus (that phone would be dead by 4-5 PM with light use). Now I can make it throughout the day with the Lumia 900 with normal use and still have 30-40% by 9PM.

I had paid $450 plus taxes ($477) for the Lumia. Than returned it and paid the $35 restocking fee.

This guy on craigslist sold me a practically brand new Lumia 900 for $275 with original box. Factor in the $100 credit I got from ATT.

My net cost for the Lumia was $275 plus $35 - (100 credit). So my total cost was $210 no contract price. That makes me love the Lumia 900 just a little more.

I'll just keep the iPhone 4S at me and use it was an ipod touch/camera when I need it. I have a 23 month old so camera function is still important to me.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya! I have a 3yo and I returned my lumia 900 yesterday because of the camera. I want/need a phone with a decent camera. Exchanged it for the HTC One X, and LOVE the camera, but not the rest of the OS. I'm hoping either Nokia will release some software updates that make the camera decent on the 900 and then I can pick one up from ebay or craigslist, OR that I can hold out until Nokia releases some sort of Apollo/Pureview beast in the fall.

How can they have made such a misstep in putting out the 900 with such a failure of a camera?

It's been a rough morning this morning trying to read email, etc., with the subpar clients on Android in comparison to what WP has going for it.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya! I have a 3yo and I returned my lumia 900 yesterday because of the camera. I want/need a phone with a decent camera. Exchanged it for the HTC One X, and LOVE the camera, but not the rest of the OS. I'm hoping either Nokia will release some software updates that make the camera decent on the 900 and then I can pick one up from ebay or craigslist, OR that I can hold out until Nokia releases some sort of Apollo/Pureview beast in the fall.

How can they have made such a misstep in putting out the 900 with such a failure of a camera?

It's been a rough morning this morning trying to read email, etc., with the subpar clients on Android in comparison to what WP has going for it.

Software can't fix a weak sensor. Wait for them to move to BSI sensors.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll just keep the iPhone 4S at me and use it was an ipod touch/camera when I need it. I have a 23 month old so camera function is still important to me.

Just don't take pics of your 23 mo old in a darkened room and you should be just fine. My pictures come out great, but generally I don't take many pictures in the dark. If you're in a room with the lights on or outdoors during the day, it's no problem. If you're trying to take a pic around a dinner table with candlelight at night, then it's going to be a little grainy.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Software can't fix a weak sensor. Wait for them to move to BSI sensors.

Software can definitely fix the 900's camera. Check out my signature for a link to my camera pics. You just have to figure out the right settings for each situation. With a software update, Nokia can optimize the auto settings.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. The camera on the Lumia 900 is what it is. I rebrought it again knowing full well what I was getting into. I just like the look and feel of the lumia 900. It's just a solid phone and works. Battery life on LTE is one of the best (outside of the Droid Razr Maxx). And Nokia's antenna design makes reception very good.

I have my Canon Digital SLR for real pics with the young kid. But u don't always have ur real camera on u all the time.

I always carry two phones with me all the time. And have done that the past 5 years. So carrying an iPhone 4s without the sim is no big deal.

Previously I always carried a blackberry (tmobile) with my iPhone or android on AT&T.

Now I have Verizon also (I dumped tmobile last year). But I rarely use my Verizon line for actual calls any more. I sold my verizon Galaxy nexus cause it was driving me buts and just put the microsim from Verizon into my LTE iPad.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm curious as to why you didn't go for the Titan 2... That camera is supposed to be incredible.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to why you didn't go for the Titan 2... That camera is supposed to be incredible.
The camera on the Titan II is nice...but the rest of the phone, not so much...at least to me.
The display looks kind of "watered down" or "milky" after being used to the high intensity vividness of the AMOLED displays on the focus and the lumia. And I don't care for its design and the curved glass at the bottom. I also think nokia is bringing a number of things to the platform that htc isn't: the apps, etc. And I worry about longevity. I might sell the HTC One though and go that route or even pick up a lumia again. The camera is wonderful on the One, but I find myself in WP withdrawal pretty badly.

In part, too, it was financial. The HTC is worth more, I should be able to sell it for more than either WP 7 would run on the secondary market (or right now, even new at the ATT store), so I could come back to WP and make a little bit, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo