Do people lie about this phone's battery?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You definitely have a signal issue. I will call myself an average user with 4 email accounts syncing, 8 background tasks, location on, WiFi on, auto-brightness and an average/above average LTE signal. I drain 3.5-4% battery per hour while the phone is sleeping and 13% per hour when the phone is awake browsing, etc.

Based on your example, from 6:30 to 11:00am, with about an hour talk/uptime, you should be at about 69 to75% at 11:AM. Any extra drain is probably due to your poor signal. I track my battery usage religiously cause I don't turn anything off to save power. I enjoy using my phone the way it was intended but want to know exactly what is using my juice every minute of the day.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Jackal1969

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed on some occasions after a full night of charging the battery, the Remaining battery life = 99%.
Estimated time remaining = 16 hours
I'm not sure why it does this because on other occasions it says
Remaining battery life = 100%
Estimated time remaining = 23 hours:confused:

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
About 3 months ago my wife and I went to Disney Hollywood Studios. I took like 400 pictures with an iPhone 4. I unplugged the iPhone at about 0730 that morning and after a taking all those shots, a few text messages and that's about it I checked the iPhone battery as we were leaving for the day at about 1730. It had about 25% left (that's with "4G", i.e. HSPA+). We went to Epcot the other day and I used my White Lumia 900 in almost the exact same way. Pretty close to the same number of pictures and the other stuff too. At the end of the day at about 1700 or so, the Lumia had, you guessed it, 25%. And that was on honest to god "LTE". Phone gets good battery life. Nuff Said.
-joe-

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that if I check my me tile and it gets stuck loading data and I don't restart it, battery drains

Sent from Le Lumia de Cyan using Board Express

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is really good.

Leave everything on (BT, WiFi) all day and have a couple exchange accounts and a google account getting email all day long. I stream audio over BT on the way to work and home (about an hour total).

Can last me all day and all night before I need to recharge it. Right now im at 73% remaining (7 PM). Had a couple of calls totalling about 30 minutes. Played a game for about 20.

I have very strong signal both at home and work and am almost never on WiFi...guess I should turn WiFi off to get even more battery life.

Think signal strength may have a lot to do with it. Also I just turned off the two options on Find My Phone since I never use that. I do have gMaps running in the background though.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The day I got my Lumia 900 i fully charged it and it has an estimated time remaining of 1 day 12 hours. The phone lasted a long time with heavy usage and everything on. Location on, brightness high, WiFi on and connected,2-3bars LTE, 3 email accounts manual sync, battery saver off, find my phone on, update on, feedback on. I have 1 live tile and that is weather.

My phone got hot when I was streaming a youtube video and I had it charging. Then the next morning my estimated time remaining was 10hrs. Some days it is 12hrs. My battery dies in 5hrs with heavy usage now and everything off. WiFi off, brightness low, battery saver on, update off, feedback off, find my phone off, cellular data off(occasionally turning it on).

Also when battery saver and nokia diagnostics says there is 0% battery life remaining, I usually get about 30min more of heavy usage.
Right now this phone gets worse battery life than my Samsung Focus and my focus' battery life was bad.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed on some occasions after a full night of charging the battery, the Remaining battery life = 99%.

Estimated time remaining = 16 hours

I'm not sure why it does this because on other occasions it says

Remaining battery life = 100%

Estimated time remaining = 23 hours:confused:
While on charge, once your phone reaches 100% it will drain back down to 98-99% (sometimes even 97%) and then go back up to 100%, cycling up/down every 20-30 minutes. I have tracked this using the homebrew Battery Meter app, which graphs the current battery percentage every 10 minutes. This keeps your battery from overcharging.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the first phone that I could leave my Bluetooth and WiFi on all the time without worrying about battery..and I can easily get 24 hrs of usage. To the OP, poor signal definitely kills battery life.

nascarnate326

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think my issues are related to poor service while at work. On the weekends at home with 5 bars of sig I seem to have no issues.

Went to Detroit last night and took a bunch of pictures, uploaded some...used 25% in 5 hours. That seems acceptable.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I too had bad reception at work. I changed my email from as items arrive to every 15 minutes. This helped a ton. My battery life has since been very long and I do a lot on my phone throughout the day. I also find this is the first phone i can leave WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time. Though I do normally turn off bluetooth as i only use it in my car and it does still do extra drain on the battery.

Jackal1969

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
While on charge, once your phone reaches 100% it will drain back down to 98-99% (sometimes even 97%) and then go back up to 100%, cycling up/down every 20-30 minutes. I have tracked this using the homebrew Battery Meter app, which graphs the current battery percentage every 10 minutes. This keeps your battery from overcharging.

Thanks.
That my friend is GOOD INFORMATION

Papaguan

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
My typical usage is 9AM - 11PM with a bunch of texting and a bit web browsing then a 1-2 hour phone call conversation at night before I sleep and I usually have about 10%-20% left. My phone's battery is a champ, IMO. 4G LTE and WiFi both on. Medium brightness.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it.

I take the phone off the charger at 6:30 am. 30 minutes of phone calls and 30 minutes of spotify streaming and Im at 53% battery by 11am. No other apps in the background, no live updates except weather which updates every 30 minutes.

Is it possible I have a dud? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to see where the battery leak is coming from? I keep my brightness on medium.

People who like the phone with overestimate their battery life (intentional sometimes, other times not).

People who are unhappy will underestimate it (same caveats).

Heavy/Moderate/Light use are subjective terms and you can't really take those seriously. That's why there's a return window. See how the phone performs for you personally and then figure out if it's good enough.

Smartphones typically all have poor battery life unless you mod them with optimized Custom ROMs or they come with huge OEM batteries (Razr Maxx, etc.) to extend them (or use a 3rd party extended battery that turns your phone into a brick). LTE phones are generally worse than 3G phones.

Using the Cell Radio over WiFi will almost always lead to a decrease in battery life. If you live or work in buildings where cell signal penetration isn't so good, it will obliterate your battery. Try to use WiFi in those instances.

Use Black Backgrounds/Dark (assuming the dark is black) themes in all apps possible on an OLED screen. That will also save some battery.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting battery to be a bit better personally. My iPhone 4 was a champ - I'd say it would run 2 to 3 times longer than my Lumia 900 does on a charge.

Yes the battery on this phone is horrible. I don't even have LTE in my area either. My iPhone 4 was wayyyy better. :mad:

The iPhone4 has a tiny screen and no LTE. The screen is easily the worst battery sucker there is, you think Apple doesn't want to introduce a larger screen? I bet they haven't figured out how to do it and then join the rest of us in terms of battery life.

My battery life has been great on some days, not so great on others. But I'm always doing different things and in different parts of the city. I've gone 18 hours and had it say I have five hours left on battery saver. It's just something you stay on top of, give it a bump charge mid day if you had heavy use in the morning, etc.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Something I noticed is I get bad battery life depending on location, not much more on the signal strength according to the phone. I will be getting 4/5 bars in the hospital, and the drain is like 200-600 with no apps running, and also after a restart, and when I'm back at home, I get the nice idle of 90-100. I notice that I can go about 1.5-2 days with moderate use back home, but when I'm back at university/hospital, it's back to daily charging. Signal strength wise I have 1-2 bars at home. That's been my observations so far.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
so where I work is like a tin can with approx 1 bar of service...does this effect battery at all? approx 1-2 bars of service.

That'll do it.

You might try turning on the battery saver setting. If you don't need email pushed to your phone constantly, most people don't if they are sitting at a desk where they are getting email anyway.

The battery saver setting will make a huge difference, with that on you'll still get text messages but you will only be using a lot of energy when you're actively using the connection.

Personally, I keep the battery saver setting on at work, I don't have live tiles updating constantly, I stream music for about 3 hours a day though using my office WiFi, check email on the phone periodically and make phone calls and send texts. Doing that my battery easily lasts all day. I usually have 30-35% when I get home actually.

Even if I forget to turn the battery saver on, I haven't had my phone die on me before the end of the day once. I do have good reception in my office though, usually 4 bars.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Socialcarpet (sorry, can't quote with Board Express), Battery Saver only kicks in when your battery drops down below 20% and the little heart appears on the battery meter. It does absolutely nothing otherwise till it reaches 20%. No need to toggle it on/off. Ihave had it active on my L900, since about an hour after taking receipt, and I get mail, updates, etc., all day long, till my phone drops below 20%.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo