Do people lie about this phone's battery?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Socialcarpet (sorry, can't quote with Board Express), Battery Saver only kicks in when your battery drops down below 20% and the little heart appears on the battery meter. It does absolutely nothing otherwise till it reaches 20%. No need to toggle it on/off. Ihave had it active on my L900, since about an hour after taking receipt, and I get mail, updates, etc., all day long, till my phone drops below 20%.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

There are two checkboxes.

Always turn battery saver on when battery is low.

and

Turn battery saver on now, until next charge.

If I have both checked, I get considerably better battery life on my phone, and it does not check my email until I use the phone.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I used the Lucia I got great battery life streaming spotify and voicr can take the life down on any device.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There are two checkboxes.

Always turn battery saver on when battery is low.

and

Turn battery saver on now, until next charge.

If I have both checked, I get considerably better battery life on my phone, and it does not check my email until I use the phone.
I stand corrected. Learned something new today.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Personally, I couldn't deal with this. No email updates, no background tasks. Not even sure you can do app downloads on battery saver. I know I have a couple apps that won't update while on saver. Why have a Smartphone if it can't work smartly. Background updates are at the core of what WP is. That's why I have a handful of portable USB chargers. My phone is seldom below 50% for very long. But if it works for you......whatever.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Had another bad battery experience this weekend at a wedding. Off charger a little after noon. Ceremony was at 2:30pm. Checked twitter and some scores for minutes while waiting. Took a few pics right after the ceremony and at the start of the reception.

Around 5:30 in was in line to get a one more drink before dinner officially started. I pulled out my Lumia to check a score and the battery was at 53%....it was also quite warm feeling. So something got "stuck" and was just running. But the battery and background systems on this phone are just not reliable.

I had full signal of HSPA+ the entire time. After a rebooted the drain seemed to stop. I made it the rest of the night down to the battery saver coming on. But I just got really annoyed I wanted to show off the Lumia and here it has a major flub.

All this and my buddy's (the groom) Indian family were all ogling the Lumia the entire night.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Something I noticed is I get bad battery life depending on location, not much more on the signal strength according to the phone. I will be getting 4/5 bars in the hospital, and the drain is like 200-600 with no apps running, and also after a restart, and when I'm back at home, I get the nice idle of 90-100. I notice that I can go about 1.5-2 days with moderate use back home, but when I'm back at university/hospital, it's back to daily charging. Signal strength wise I have 1-2 bars at home. That's been my observations so far.
Trust me if you're getting that kind of battery life you're below moderate use, and probably on WiFi the entire time which is a completely different usage scenario than someone out and about using the carrier network for data (which drains a ton more battery).

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting battery to be a bit better personally. My iPhone 4 was a champ - I'd say it would run 2 to 3 times longer than my Lumia 900 does on a charge.

I've had a couple lockups/overheating but they happen infrequently. Seems like I can stream audio or just play music (Zune local) and just about do the same on battery. WTF is up with that?

Incidentally - I ran my wife's LG Nitro HD (Android) w/ Cyanogenmod 9 (getting ready for ebay selling) and man I have nothing to complain about. Less than 8 hours of battery on moderate use. At least the Lumia seems to be able to handle 12+ hours of moderate use.
That's because your iphone4 was not LTE, L900 is LTE. LTE will drain battery a lot until the towers reach the full capacity and you find good strength everywhere, till then it will keep draining.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Had another bad battery experience this weekend at a wedding. Off charger a little after noon. Ceremony was at 2:30pm. Checked twitter and some scores for minutes while waiting. Took a few pics right after the ceremony and at the start of the reception.

Around 5:30 in was in line to get a one more drink before dinner officially started. I pulled out my Lumia to check a score and the battery was at 53%....it was also quite warm feeling. So something got "stuck" and was just running. But the battery and background systems on this phone are just not reliable.

I had full signal of HSPA+ the entire time. After a rebooted the drain seemed to stop. I made it the rest of the night down to the battery saver coming on. But I just got really annoyed I wanted to show off the Lumia and here it has a major flub.

All this and my buddy's (the groom) Indian family were all ogling the Lumia the entire night.
I think that was a reasonable battery life. You are making this a big issue than it is.
I have had worse experience with my iphone4s than you are having. I consider this as an improvement over my 4s.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected. Learned something new today.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Personally, I couldn't deal with this. No email updates, no background tasks. Not even sure you can do app downloads on battery saver. I know I have a couple apps that won't update while on saver. Why have a Smartphone if it can't work smartly. Background updates are at the core of what WP is. That's why I have a handful of portable USB chargers. My phone is seldom below 50% for very long. But if it works for you......whatever.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Yup. I toggle back and forth. If I'm in the office, I don't need email coming to my phone. As far as weather or news apps, I don't need for them to be up to date the second I turn the phone on, it's no bother for me to tap a tile and wait the 1.5 seconds it takes to update. I'm usually not checking weather or news on the phone when I'm at work anyway. I have a charger on my desk at work anyway, but I rarely need it.

When I'm not in the office, I uncheck the second box so my email gets pushed through, also when I'm not in the office, I'm much more likely to be checking news or weather or other things then, so the background updating is actually useful to me then.

Works pretty well for me. There's definitely a noticeable difference in battery life with that second box checked. But even when I'm on my day off and it's not checked all day, I've rarely have a day where I leave the house with a full battery and need to charge before the end of the day. That only happens if I'm using the phone like crazy.

troykm

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I've posted this in the 800 and 710 sections but it holds true for the 900 too.

The single biggest non user drain on your battery life is the feedback setting! if its enabled your phone battery will drain much much faster than normal. when i got my 800 it would loose 40% of the battery overnight while sleeping and i could not work it out until i remembered my iPhone did the same thing until i turned off feedback (diagnosis info on iPhone)
once i turned off feedback the battery life improved dramatically and now i have no issues with it lasting a full day (it would last more but i always charge it overnight)

the feedback is enabled by default

hope this helps, and if so, spread the word :)

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think that was a reasonable battery life. You are making this a big issue than it is.
I have had worse experience with my iphone4s than you are having. I consider this as an improvement over my 4s.

You think that going from 100% to 53% in 3 hours with barely any use is acceptable? After that it was ok but I also was aware of the fact that the battery was low so I used it less. In the span of that first 3 hours with my iPhone 4 and the same usage it would have maybe gone down 10% tops.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@sting2K7. Sorry, can't quote. Stupid Board Express. Anyway, I finally got around to reading my L900 User Manual this past weekend and one thing they note is when using the camera, you should close it after use as it has a tendency to use lots of juice. So if the camera was behind the Lock Screen, that might explain your excessive drain. Just a guess.

A very poor LTE signal might also be to blame. But so far I have found LTE to be a very low drain when the phone is asleep. When actually using LTE, totally different story.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My experience with the 800 at least was that initially the battery life sucked. The issue was not my usage rather the usage when it was supposedly in standby. The drain was in the 230-260 range you are seeing and it was definately fixed with the 3rd update on the 800. Of course you would hope the 900 did not have the same issue but hey ho.

After the 3rd update and I never concern myself with how its used I just use it all day and charge it when I go to bed... simples.

It is a dream to use now and I can certainly understand anyone who sacked it during this period.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
You think that going from 100% to 53% in 3 hours with barely any use is acceptable? After that it was ok but I also was aware of the fact that the battery was low so I used it less. In the span of that first 3 hours with my iPhone 4 and the same usage it would have maybe gone down 10% tops.

I could be wrong but didnt Apple recently fix the major drain issues with people reporting some pretty good life expectancy on the 4S models now.

It is interesting that with the modern practice of patching faults out of products that people still focus on early issues even when solutions/fixes have been around for years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon