How to get movie MP4 Files onto Lumia 900?

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problem getting my own music files onto my Lumia via Zune, however I haven't been able to get movies on there. I've ripped DVD's to MP4 format, converted AVI's to MP4, but whenever I try to add them to the Zune library so I cam sync them to my phone, the Zune software doesn't "see" them so I can't even add them. Any ideas? Is there a way to ensure a movie format is recognized by Zune? Also, can't seem to find a list of optimized settings for the Lumia (frame rate, bit rate, audio codec, screen resolution, etc.). Nevertheless a generic mpeg-4 file should be visible on Zune, right?

lolken

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
MP4s don't work.. i use AVI's they seem to work just fine..

I'm not sure why MP4s dont work, i just know i had the same issues and found that just making an AVI is the solution. AVI's also work on Xbox/PS3 for streaming so they are better for me anyway..

I havent bought any zune videos.. im not sure what format they come in.. is it MP4 ? as for your other question about bit rates and such.. i have no idea.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problem getting my own music files onto my Lumia via Zune, however I haven't been able to get movies on there. I've ripped DVD's to MP4 format, converted AVI's to MP4, but whenever I try to add them to the Zune library so I cam sync them to my phone, the Zune software doesn't "see" them so I can't even add them. Any ideas? Is there a way to ensure a movie format is recognized by Zune? Also, can't seem to find a list of optimized settings for the Lumia (frame rate, bit rate, audio codec, screen resolution, etc.). Nevertheless a generic mpeg-4 file should be visible on Zune, right?

I've never had an issue with mp4 videos. Then again, I don't know exactly what your codec settings are for mp4...

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will try the AVI file and see how that goes.

MP4s don't work.. i use AVI's they seem to work just fine..

I'm not sure why MP4s dont work, i just know i had the same issues and found that just making an AVI is the solution. AVI's also work on Xbox/PS3 for streaming so they are better for me anyway..

I havent bought any zune videos.. im not sure what format they come in.. is it MP4 ? as for your other question about bit rates and such.. i have no idea.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a stupid limitation in the Zune software that causes the issue. The easiest fix is to transcode it into a format the Zune software will recognize. AVI works or you could also go with WMV.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The only trouble I have had with MP4 videos were ones I purchased outside of the marketplace. They will not show up in the Zune software.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with MP4 videos. Have you checked the video settings in Zune to make sure that format is checked?

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Still no video on my Zune...

I haven't had a problem with MP4 videos. Have you checked the video settings in Zune to make sure that format is checked?

Good idea, I did go in and make sure all of the formats were checked, but for some reason I still can not see any videos with Zune. I've tried avi & mp4 from multiple locations. For my next experiment I guess I'll try wmv or m4v next. I'm just changing formats using Format Factory, Handbrake etc. but so far no luck.

Are there any free videos on Zune I could sync to my phone just as an experiment (don't want to buy $15 movie for that)? Tried a movie trailer but they just play on the PC rather than sync.

Thanks in advanvce!

Last edited:

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Quick update, double clicking on any of these movies (from Windows Explorer) starts them playing, fine, in the Zune desktop client...and yet they do not show up in the collection and cannot be synced to the phone.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue and it is very frustrating. I ripped a few DVD's to MP4 and they will show up and play in Zune but they will not sync. It's crazy because MP4 is the format that the video camera shoots at on the phone.

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Even i'm facing the same problem. Some of the mp4 files are detected and some are not. Don't know what is the issue. Anyone please help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786