durability in question

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The durability of the plastic rim around the screen is very bad. My phone dropped out of my lap into the crevice between my seat and center console and it left a huge dent in the plastic border. That's pretty pathetic seeing how my iPhone constantly made trips to there without any scuffs.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The durability of the plastic rim around the screen is very bad. My phone dropped out of my lap into the crevice between my seat and center console and it left a huge dent in the plastic border. That's pretty pathetic seeing how my iPhone constantly made trips to there without any scuffs.
That's strange. Sorry to hear that. Mine has been dropped a few feet on ceramic tile and didn't suffer a scratch.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
There's a plastic rim around the screen??

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yea the border that surrounds the glass screen. It looks plastic and it damages like plastic. It was a bad call for Nokia to get rid of the curved glass like they have on the Lumia 800.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Plastic rim around the screen? Are you talking about the Lumia 900? There is no rim on mine...plastic or otherwise.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe its actually metal, and can actually dent instead of chip off. It's the lip that's around the glass. Curve glassed would have really been something nice to look at design wise, but the lip allows you to put the phone face down imo without scratching the screen.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Phones are not meant to be dropped... Iphones have terrible durability. I've had so many of my doctors and nurses drop them on to the carpet from about 4 feet and had the screens shatter. By far the least durable of all the phones we use at work.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I see it now. It looks like the edge of the glass but it's actually a piece if trim around the screen. No smartphone is designed to be dropped, except for the Samsung Rugby Smart and the Casio G'zone. Other than those 2 they're all built to be held tightly and not dropped.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's some kind of hard poly or resin. It's there to protect the screen when you lay the phone down on it's front. I've dropped mine quite a few times. Not dents yet (knock on wood).
-joe-

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Give it a little press with your fingernail and it straightens right out. Try dropping an iPhone and a Lumia 900 from waist height onto a hard floor and see which one gets damaged more. A little bend you can work out with your finger is a lot better than the shattered glass you'll get on the iPhone. Unprotected floor to ceiling glass on the front AND the back was one of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen Apple make. Its one of the key reasons I didn't get an iPhone actually...

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I stepped out of my truck one time and forgot that my iphone 4 was laying on the seat between my legs. It flew out and landed face down on the pavement wearing nothing more than a Case-Mate Barely There case. Not a scratch on the phone anywhere. One very small indention on the edge of the case by the speaker on the bottom. I guess I got lucky.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

so your phone dropped through your fault, it sustained damage and somehow its pathetic because it didn't hold up like your iPhone?

Last edited:

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
so your phone dropped through your fault, it sustained damage and somehow its pathetic because it didn't hold up like your iPhone?

I wouldn't call it a drop. It slid off my lap into the crevice between my car seat and center console. I drive a civic, so the fall is about 6" onto a carpet interior. Id wish they made that plastic/metal or whatever material rim out of something more durable. I only compare it to my iPhone 4 is because I never sustained any damage when it would also fall into the crevice.

I was also hoping the rim was part of the body and not the glass but it isn't do so I can rule out a replacement housing.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Give it a little press with your fingernail and it straightens right out. Try dropping an iPhone and a Lumia 900 from waist height onto a hard floor and see which one gets damaged more. A little bend you can work out with your finger is a lot better than the shattered glass you'll get on the iPhone. Unprotected floor to ceiling glass on the front AND the back was one of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen Apple make. Its one of the key reasons I didn't get an iPhone actually...

Dumbest... or rather smartest? Think of all the money they bank on from people that drop their phones!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss