06-06-2012 08:56 AM
29 12
tools
    The durability of the plastic rim around the screen is very bad. My phone dropped out of my lap into the crevice between my seat and center console and it left a huge dent in the plastic border. That's pretty pathetic seeing how my iPhone constantly made trips to there without any scuffs.
    05-17-2012 04:27 PM
    The durability of the plastic rim around the screen is very bad. My phone dropped out of my lap into the crevice between my seat and center console and it left a huge dent in the plastic border. That's pretty pathetic seeing how my iPhone constantly made trips to there without any scuffs.
    That's strange. Sorry to hear that. Mine has been dropped a few feet on ceramic tile and didn't suffer a scratch.
    05-17-2012 07:40 PM
    There's a plastic rim around the screen??

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-17-2012 07:48 PM
    There's a plastic rim around the screen??

Yea the border that surrounds the glass screen. It looks plastic and it damages like plastic. It was a bad call for Nokia to get rid of the curved glass like they have on the Lumia 800.
    05-17-2012 08:50 PM
    Plastic rim around the screen? Are you talking about the Lumia 900? There is no rim on mine...plastic or otherwise.
    05-18-2012 10:02 AM
    I believe its actually metal, and can actually dent instead of chip off. It's the lip that's around the glass. Curve glassed would have really been something nice to look at design wise, but the lip allows you to put the phone face down imo without scratching the screen.
    05-18-2012 11:15 AM
    Phones are not meant to be dropped... Iphones have terrible durability. I've had so many of my doctors and nurses drop them on to the carpet from about 4 feet and had the screens shatter. By far the least durable of all the phones we use at work.
    05-18-2012 11:53 AM
    I see it now. It looks like the edge of the glass but it's actually a piece if trim around the screen. No smartphone is designed to be dropped, except for the Samsung Rugby Smart and the Casio G'zone. Other than those 2 they're all built to be held tightly and not dropped.

Old_Cus likes this.
    05-18-2012 12:01 PM
    Lol, iPhone is made of glass. Easily the least durable.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    05-18-2012 12:03 PM
    It's some kind of hard poly or resin. It's there to protect the screen when you lay the phone down on it's front. I've dropped mine quite a few times. Not dents yet (knock on wood).
    -joe-
    05-18-2012 12:48 PM
    Well damn! Time for new glasses. I do see it and it is slightly raised. You learn something everyday.
    05-18-2012 12:49 PM
    Give it a little press with your fingernail and it straightens right out. Try dropping an iPhone and a Lumia 900 from waist height onto a hard floor and see which one gets damaged more. A little bend you can work out with your finger is a lot better than the shattered glass you'll get on the iPhone. Unprotected floor to ceiling glass on the front AND the back was one of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen Apple make. Its one of the key reasons I didn't get an iPhone actually...

05-18-2012 12:56 PM
    I stepped out of my truck one time and forgot that my iphone 4 was laying on the seat between my legs. It flew out and landed face down on the pavement wearing nothing more than a Case-Mate Barely There case. Not a scratch on the phone anywhere. One very small indention on the edge of the case by the speaker on the bottom. I guess I got lucky.

05-18-2012 01:02 PM
    so your phone dropped through your fault, it sustained damage and somehow its pathetic because it didn't hold up like your iPhone?
    Last edited by JD914; 05-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    05-18-2012 01:27 PM
    so your phone dropped through your fault, it sustained damage and somehow its pathetic because it didn't hold up like your iPhone?
    And yet another useless post by Jaime Delgado.
    05-18-2012 02:23 PM

I wouldn't call it a drop. It slid off my lap into the crevice between my car seat and center console. I drive a civic, so the fall is about 6" onto a carpet interior. Id wish they made that plastic/metal or whatever material rim out of something more durable. I only compare it to my iPhone 4 is because I never sustained any damage when it would also fall into the crevice.

I was also hoping the rim was part of the body and not the glass but it isn't do so I can rule out a replacement housing.
    05-18-2012 03:12 PM
    And yet another useless post by Jaime Delgado.
    either quit trolling peoples profiles or ask to be a moderator on this forum. If not keep your asinine WGAS comments to yourself.
    Last edited by JD914; 05-18-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    05-18-2012 03:17 PM
    05-18-2012 04:43 PM
    That's pretty impressive and I'm not calling into question the screen quality, just the thin trim that borders around the LCD panel.

Anyways, I already purchased another Lumia 900. I did get my original for ~-70 or so dollars. I also have the Lumia 800 and the N9 to add to my collection of Nokia phones.
    05-18-2012 09:33 PM
    Give it a little press with your fingernail and it straightens right out. Try dropping an iPhone and a Lumia 900 from waist height onto a hard floor and see which one gets damaged more. A little bend you can work out with your finger is a lot better than the shattered glass you'll get on the iPhone. Unprotected floor to ceiling glass on the front AND the back was one of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen Apple make. Its one of the key reasons I didn't get an iPhone actually...

Dumbest... or rather smartest? Think of all the money they bank on from people that drop their phones!
    05-19-2012 12:10 AM
    That's pretty impressive and I'm not calling into question the screen quality, just the thin trim that borders around the LCD panel.

Anyways, I already purchased another Lumia 900. I did get my original for ~-70 or so dollars. I also have the Lumia 800 and the N9 to add to my collection of Nokia phones.
    I was suspect about that rim too. I could totally see the frame of your seat damaging it. It would be like two knife blades coming together. Overall though I think this phone is a tank.

Oddly enough I don't think its nearly as durable as my original Samsung Focus. I know people like to comment and say it's all cheap feeling but that thing can just take a beating.
    05-19-2012 10:17 AM
    I like Nokia because I use to have one of their dumbphones and I would kick it and intentionally throw it against the wall and still survived. I suspect in this day and age of glass screens that won't be possible.
    05-19-2012 01:03 PM
    I dented the rim on my first L900 in the first week of use. I would say durability wise this the L900 Achilles Heel.
    05-20-2012 07:55 AM
    @Dave Blake, are you back to a 900 now?

Darn Board Express won't let me quote after the update.

05-20-2012 08:16 AM
    @Dave Blake, are you back to a 900 now?

Darn Board Express won't let me quote after the update.

No I still have the TII
    05-20-2012 08:45 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD