GPS says I am in Alpharetto

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Is your 900's GPS starting to act wired? I am in San Francisco, but whenever I open up apps that requires GPS (local scout, Nokia Drive, etc.), it always thought I am in Alpharetta, Ohio, so it pretty much make all of those apps un-usable. And I think it just happen about 1 to 2 weeks ago :-/

nascarnate326

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My L900 says I am in Akron Ohio every time I launch any app that uses GPS. If I want around 2 min it will find where I am. VERY annoying and will be one of the reasons I will be ditching this phone.

My iPhone took 20 seconds max to find right where i was, it usually did it in under 10.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My L900 was doing this when I first got the phone, for a couple weeks. I was starting to wonder if there was an issue with the GPS. However lately it seems to be working fine.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Can you guys check and see if it is a battery saving issue? It seems like when my battery is low, my phone will simply turn off the GPS and it will list Alpharetta as my current location, and it simply won't try to search for a GPS fix until it is recharged.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Can you guys check and see if it is a battery saving issue? It seems like when my battery is low, my phone will simply turn off the GPS and it will list Alpharetta as my current location, and it simply won't try to search for a GPS fix until it is recharged.

It's possible when the battery is low. If you go into Settings > Battery Saver, You can set the phone to turn off certain services when the battery is low. So that may be why, I've had the issue with almost full battery, however my L900 has been fine for the last couple weeks in terms of GPS.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Tried turning Battery Saver on and Location was still active. Bing and Nokia Drive also found my location without issue with Battery Saver on.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem w/ Nokia Drive. Nokia Maps and Microsoft Maps would save my last known position, but Nokia Drive always started out in OH and would go to my actual position. I simply uninstalled Nokia Drive and re-installed it and problem went away.

And Nokia is aware of this quirky behavior w/ Drive.

Michael.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My L900 says I am in Akron Ohio every time I launch any app that uses GPS. If I want around 2 min it will find where I am. VERY annoying and will be one of the reasons I will be ditching this phone.

My iPhone took 20 seconds max to find right where i was, it usually did it in under 10.

I just started having this exact same problem this weekend, whereas it was working perfectly for the two months prior to that.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. In my case the issue seemed to start on Thursday, which is also the day that AT&T threw the switch on LTE. I went into the AT&T store to report it because the phone support rep was useless. Told me we didn't have LTE (really? then why does it show an lte connection) and that GPS doesn't use satellites (riiiight). Anyways, I was able to duplicate the issue on his phone.

What I have determined so far is that the issue only appears to occur when using A-GPS. If I go into a building where I can't get any GPS signal for awhile and try to use something that pulls location it says that I am in Akron, OH. Specifically Lat: 41.075 N, Long: 81.535 W, Elevation 33.000. This does not update when I move. When I go back outside where it can see the satellites again it will regain the GPS signal after anywhere from a minute or two if I'm standing around in the open and from 5-15 minutes if I'm in my car. I tested 4 different Android LTE devices in the store and all of them were showing the correct location.

I'm going to try disabling LTE on my phone to force it back to HSPA+ and see what happens.

Edit, okay, I did it but I forgot to confirm that it was showing the wrong location when I went back to HSPA. I will try it again and post an update. In the mean time, if anyone else wants to try it, here are the instructions to add the toggle.
http://www.nok4us.com/2012/04/how-to-toggle-lte-onoff-on-your-nokia.html

Last edited:

jaybee

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Same GPS issue

Mine started Friday night. I reside in Chicago and ATT's network has shown me in Akron, OH for 3 days now. There are a couple threads on Nokia support with the same issue, so it seems to be fairly widespread. It also appears that it started for most people this past weekend.

From my experience, it doesn't seem to be a hardware or WP7 issue, but rather an ATT location services issue. It seems that most people who have the problem are being told they are at 249 Firstmerit Circle in Akron. I've spent all morning messing around with it. I cleared the map data and history, turned on wifi, and turned off ATT data and all location-aware apps worked fine. When I turned on ATT data and turned off wifi, it took me right back to Ohio. I also tried removing the SIM and starting wifi, which also fixed the problem until I re-inserted the SIM. Apparently someone did some digging and found an ATT Data Center a couple blocks from the Akron address, so it seems like some kind of default location for aGPS. Regardless of the cause, I hope ATT/Nokia/Microsoft find a fix quickly, because all location-aware apps are now useless.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine started Friday night. I reside in Chicago and ATT's network has shown me in Akron, OH for 3 days now. There are a couple threads on Nokia support with the same issue, so it seems to be fairly widespread. It also appears that it started for most people this past weekend.

From my experience, it doesn't seem to be a hardware or WP7 issue, but rather an ATT location services issue. It seems that most people who have the problem are being told they are at 249 Firstmerit Circle in Akron. I've spent all morning messing around with it. I cleared the map data and history, turned on wifi, and turned off ATT data and all location-aware apps worked fine. When I turned on ATT data and turned off wifi, it took me right back to Ohio. I also tried removing the SIM and starting wifi, which also fixed the problem until I re-inserted the SIM. Apparently someone did some digging and found an ATT Data Center a couple blocks from the Akron address, so it seems like some kind of default location for aGPS. Regardless of the cause, I hope ATT/Nokia/Microsoft find a fix quickly, because all location-aware apps are now useless.

Interesting that it only seems to be affecting our phones so far, though. Every one of the Android phones I tested got it right. Clearly Google must be doing something different with their location gathering. The tech support person I talked to at the AT&T store put in a ticket with engineering so hopefully that will help.

Edit: I have confirmed that it does NOT appear to be LTE related. I set my connection to H+ and it still wouldn't update my position to the correct location.

Last edited:

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Titan 2

It's not just happening to the Lumia 900, I just got an HTC Titan 2 last week and any app that uses GPS shows me as 249 FirstMerit Circle in Akron, OH, but I'm in California.

I talked to At&t and HTC and they suggested I exchange it for another phone, I will be getting my new phone tomorrow, but I don't think it'll make a difference, it sounds like an At&t or OS issue. I'll let you know how my new phone fares tomorrow.

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not just happening to the Lumia 900, I just got an HTC Titan 2 last week and any app that uses GPS shows me as 249 FirstMerit Circle in Akron, OH, but I'm in California.

I talked to At&t and HTC and they suggested I exchange it for another phone, I will be getting my new phone tomorrow, but I don't think it'll make a difference, it sounds like an At&t or OS issue. I'll let you know how my new phone fares tomorrow.

I just noticed that my phone is doing this too today. Any news on whether a new phone solved this issue?

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So i got my replacement in the mail today and it's having the same issue (Akron, OH), the replacement had dead pixels so I'm just sending the replacement back and keeping my old Titan 2.

I spoke to At&t's warranty department today and they are aware of the Akron, OH GPS problem and admit that it's a network issue. So hopefully it'll be fixed soon and all will be good.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to At&t's warranty department today and they are aware of the Akron, OH GPS problem and admit that it's a network issue. So hopefully it'll be fixed soon and all will be good.

This is what I'm thinking as well. This is the second time that it's happened to me. First time, I thought it was a Nokia Drive glitch. Now, I'm guessing that the AT&T aGPS servers (for LTE?) are getting FUBARed so incorrect sat data is being sent to our phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb