The dipwad at the AT&T store told me that the lumia 900 memory cannot be upgraded. It comes with 16G and an additional memory card can NOT be added. I'm packing 40G on my 1.5 years old Samsung and I was thinking of "upgrading" to the Lumia.

Is this true?
    05-21-2012 03:39 PM
    Yes. The Lumia does not have upgradeable storage.
    05-21-2012 03:40 PM
    I believe thia is true of all Windows Phones for now, but rumored to change with Apollo/WP8 phones that hopefully come out this Fall. In the meantime they look for users to use SkyDrive and to also stream more than store...
    05-21-2012 04:37 PM
    I believe thia is true of all Windows Phones for now, but rumored to change with Apollo/WP8 phones that hopefully come out this Fall. In the meantime they look for users to use SkyDrive and to also stream more than store...
    Yeah, cloud storage is brilliant, just as most carriers are curtailing data usage.
    Not.
    05-21-2012 04:43 PM
    The dipwad is correct.
    05-21-2012 05:05 PM
    XERXES,
    My two year old Samsung Focus has and extra 32Gig card in it. I also know the HTC is upgradable to 40 Gig. Wow, Can't believe the nokia isn't.
    Dean
    05-23-2012 05:29 PM
    XERXES,
    My two year old Samsung Focus has and extra 32Gig card in it. I also know the HTC is upgradable to 40 Gig. Wow, Can't believe the nokia isn't.
    Dean
    I'm not sure which HTC device you are referring to. The Titan and Titan II do not have card slots.

HTC Titan

HTC Titan full specs

HTC Titan II - Full phone specifications
    05-23-2012 05:54 PM
    XERXES,
    Dean
    The original Focus was the only one that shipped with an SD card slot that is in an area that the consumer could get to. This was never meant to be used by the consumer, but only by the OEM /carrier if they decided to put in more storage for their devices/release. Microsoft does not support SD expansion, and no other phones came with an SD card slot that was accessible (some phones used SD card memory from the OEM instead of NAND memory, but you couldn't access it).

Leaks for WP8 have stated they are bringing "real" SD card support, which means some phones later this year or early next year may have expandable storage. However, no current gens do, and that includes the Lumia 900.
    05-23-2012 07:54 PM
    http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...cro-sd-support

The SD card slot was supposed to be for OEMs only, but apparently Samsung and HTC didn't get that memo on their original devices. Suffice to say, using that SD card slot with a device was prone to failure (especially if it that SD card was slower at access times, which was pretty common when WP7 originally shipped, and may still be to this day), and that failure would mean a complete phone wipe and reset. Not a pretty scenario, so if you need more than 16GB internal storage you will want to consider a non-WP device with larger internal storage, or being more vigilant about the music, videos, and pictures you carry around on the device at any one time.
    05-23-2012 08:05 PM
    Not a pretty scenario, so if you need more than 16GB internal storage you will want to consider a non-WP device with larger internal storage, or being more vigilant about the music, videos, and pictures you carry around on the device at any one time.
    This, but also be aware that WP has Skydrive integration. I have about 2GB free on my phone (16GB LG Optimus 7), because I have all my music on my phone.

Photos, videos and documents are stored in Skydrive, taking full advantage of those free 25GB, I simply don't need to have those stored locally and available offline on the phone, since I have Wi-Fi pretty much anywhere, and my data plan is more than enough to acess my files when I need them.

Plus, I use the Skydrive apps to have my files permanently synced between my phone and my PC. This way I can delete, add, or edit my stuff on my phone and the changes will also be instantly available on my PC.

If my carrier ever offers an affordable unlimited data plan, I'll even delete the music from the phone. I'll just use Skydrive to store and stream everything. So, consider that the Lumia 900 storage is actually 16+25GB=41GB if you have a decent data plan. (16+7GB=23GB if you don't already have Windows Live account)
    Last edited by Seketh; 05-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    05-23-2012 08:48 PM
    This, but also be aware that WP has Skydrive integration. I have about 2GB free on my phone (16GB LG Optimus 7), because I have all my music on my phone.

Photos, videos and documents are stored in Skydrive, taking full advantage of those free 25GB, I simply don't need to have those stored locally and available offline on the phone, since I have Wi-Fi pretty much anywhere, and my data plan is more than enough to acess my files when I need them.

Plus, I use the Skydrive apps to have my files permanently synced between my phone and my PC. This way I can delete, add, or edit my stuff on my phone and the changes will also be instantly available on my PC.

If my carrier ever offers an affordable unlimited data plan, I'll even delete the music from the phone. I'll just use Skydrive to store and stream everything. So, consider that the Lumia 900 storage is actually 16+25GB=41GB if you have a decent data plan. (16+7GB=23GB if you don't already have Windows Live account)
    I did move fast enough to get the 25 GB free storage on SkyDrive. Storing docs is self explanatory, nut how are you streaming music from there? It appears you "need an app for that" and I see widely divergent reviews of the different Skydriveusic streaming apps, with some saying they're great and others saying they're useless. JD like to get streaking music up and running ASAP so any advice on how to best to do it will be much appreciated.
    05-24-2012 10:40 AM
    XERXES,
    Dean
    where have you been since the focus came out? Under a rock. There have been many similar thoughts expressed way back after the focus came out along with all the other gen 1 devices about sd card expansion. Since then when the focus s and titan et all came out mention was made of no sd expansion slot availability.
    05-24-2012 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD