Too late for a replacement?

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been noticing some battery issues with my Cyan Lumia 900. Every so often, the device will get really hot and the battery will drain. It happened today with just listening to music, in 2-3 bars of 4G coverage and in my pocket.

My device is one that I pre-ordered from AT&T, and I was wondering if it is to late to get a replacement.

I'm running the latest firmware, but I'm thinking my device might be a lemon. I have a slight chip on the bottom left. Would that effect the replacement?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I noticed with both my Lumia 900 and my titan II, that when I play certain cames like for example like Wordament, my phone would get hot, and loose its battery pretty fast. If this is happening when you are not using the phone, what apps are running/in frozen state? If you have any apps running, make sure you click the back button until there are no apps to go back too.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What kind of battery life are you getting, when you say the battery "drains"?

Just trying to determine if this is within the range of normal. All cell phone batteries generate heat, especially when the processor is using it continuously.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
also it isn't too late, I believe you can contact Nokia Support and they can help you. You have a 1 year or 90 day manufacture warranty I believe.

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It depends. I'll get out of school and use it for about 10-15 minutes with just normal checking facebook and using the WPCentral app and it will get hot. The battery will be at about 65%. I'll leave it alone for about 30 minutes. The phone will still be hot and the battery will be at about 30%. I don't think this is "normal".

On normal days, I'll get anywhere from 14-18 hours of battery life. When this "drain" thing happens, I'll get about 5-7 hours.

The phone will continue to stay hot until I restart the device.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had this happen a lot more often recently I asked Nokia they said to try AT&T first so I will let you know what happens!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dropping 35% in 30 minutes, with the screen off (or on) is not normal. But before seeking a replacement, which would probably be a reconditioned (gently used) device at this point, I would start with a hard reset. Can't hurt. You have a 1 year warranty, so after the first 30 days, there really is no rush.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hard reset my device. I'm getting an estimate of "1 day and 12 hours" of battery life. I haven't got that since the first day. :D Hopefully it lasts this long!

There's a post going on http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900/192973.htm#post1669465
That shoes the Facebook app may be responsible for the battery drain issues. I had the FB app pinned to my Start Screen. May be the culprit. Who knows.

I'll update this thread if anything happens :) thanks for your help!

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I hard reset my device. I'm getting an estimate of "1 day and 12 hours" of battery life. I haven't got that since the first day. :D Hopefully it lasts this long!

There's a post going on http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900/192973.htm#post1669465
That shoes the Facebook app may be responsible for the battery drain issues. I had the FB app pinned to my Start Screen. May be the culprit. Who knows.

I'll update this thread if anything happens :) thanks for your help!
Ditto did a reset though I have loaded facebook back up and ran it this time my battery life is measured in days instead of hours. But I will give it two weeks and see. If it still chokes I will likely need to go through Nokia for a replacement.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I might have isolated what is causing this type of drain. I noticed this happen to me a couple times already, and if you look at the diagnostics app and go to battery, you'll see it draining 500-600 mA straight for a few minutes, which is not normal if you weren't doing anything. So I went into settings, and disabled my cellular data on a hunch, and went back, and it dropped from 500 to 90-110 mA drain, and the heat stopped. I'm guessing this might be related to the memory management problem they might have had before, and some other bug might have crept in. Another thing I noticed is that if I tried to use my data after this, it would not connect either. Had to restart my phone for it to connect to data.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that the estimated remaining battery is based on your historical usage. I use my L900 a lot, and charge often, so my estimated time is never more than 8-12 hours, even though I can easily go 18 hours with moderate use.

So heavy use one day will display fewer hours. Leave your phone alone for a day, and after the next charge you may see the 1.5 day estimate.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb