Frozen Screen + No Battery Status

BallistaMan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a launch (preorder) Lumia 900 that I fear may be destined for repairs. Like a number of others, I've observed the strange overheating/fast battery drain problem on several occasions. Once it happened on mountain roads, so that I can chalk up to poor signal, but it's also happened while simply sitting on the table, so I'm suspicious of it to say the least.

Yesterday things got worse, however. It seemed like the digitizer in the screen lost it whenever the phone was charging (scrolling randomly, clicking the wrong thing whenever I tapped, etc.). The bug went away whenever I unplugged the phone, so I left it be. This morning, however, the phone is entirely unresponsive. Hitting the power button pops up a blank lock screen (no clock, etc.), the battery icon displays a question mark, and the touchscreen does not react (can't slide to unlock, goes right back to sleep even if touched). The capacitive buttons don't respond or light up, though the side ones do (camera will shoot behind the lock screen, power button will wake/sleep the phone, but will not power it off).

Anybody seen this before? I am running the data firmware patch (had that problem too back then, lol).

Edit: Bit more info, it seems that many of the OS functions are still running behind the frozen screen. Just heard the email notification go off (and as I said before the camera will snap pics, even if I can't see the camera app).

Last edited:

BallistaMan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Sealed phone I'm afraid, best I can do is try to keep it awake for a few hours to drain it (though I hear these phones don't always turn back on if they zero out).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
On other Nokia phones if you hold down the power button until it vibrates will turn it off totally. Then holding down the power button down until it vibrates to turn it back on may help. Unless you have already tried that.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a launch (preorder) Lumia 900 that I fear may be destined for repairs. Like a number of others, I've observed the strange overheating/fast battery drain problem on several occasions. Once it happened on mountain roads, so that I can chalk up to poor signal, but it's also happened while simply sitting on the table, so I'm suspicious of it to say the least.

Yesterday things got worse, however. It seemed like the digitizer in the screen lost it whenever the phone was charging (scrolling randomly, clicking the wrong thing whenever I tapped, etc.). The bug went away whenever I unplugged the phone, so I left it be. This morning, however, the phone is entirely unresponsive. Hitting the power button pops up a blank lock screen (no clock, etc.), the battery icon displays a question mark, and the touchscreen does not react (can't slide to unlock, goes right back to sleep even if touched). The capacitive buttons don't respond or light up, though the side ones do (camera will shoot behind the lock screen, power button will wake/sleep the phone, but will not power it off).

Anybody seen this before? I am running the data firmware patch (had that problem too back then, lol).

Have you tried a hard reset yet? It may be attributed to some application you downloaded running in the background as well. You can check that by going to Settings>Applications>Background, and see what's been set to run in the background. I've also experienced this in certain locations only. Generally it's places of low signal and I'm trying to access data, whether it be on wifi or not, it's really weird. One program I narrowed it down to for myself has been BoardExpress, that thing for some reason everytime it's been installed on my devices (on my 3rd Lumia right now), always caused them to warm up a bit to where it's noticable. I've never experienced the touch screen and capacitive button problems you mention though. I don't think a hard reset would hurt. Maybe give it a try for a few days without apps and see if it is an app or something.

BallistaMan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
What's the process for a hard reset? And can it be done without a Zune hookup (out of town for the moment, though I could sync it to another machine).

As for background processes, I tend to keep them to a minimum (only one I allow currently is toggle). And yeah I have the heating problem only when data is on too. Very odd.

BallistaMan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Took it down to the local AT&T shop and got it working. Just took a hard reboot (volume + power apparently). Seems happy for the moment. Thanks for the input. :)

The rep also said that the phone is selling well still.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Took it down to the local AT&T shop and got it working. Just took a hard reboot (volume + power apparently). Seems happy for the moment. Thanks for the input. :)

The rep also said that the phone is selling well still.

The hardware method is volume dn+power+camera from being off first, release volume dn+power, and keep holding down camera until you see the Windows Phone logo. You can also initiate it through the Settings menu: Settings>About>Scroll Down and there's reset. Glad to hear the Hard Reset is working for you.

mbranscum

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
The other night I experienced the frozen screen with the question mark inside the batter icon. Hard reset did the trick. Still had 34% battery left after reset. Strange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea