Upgraded??? to Lumia 900 ...

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I gave my wife my Samsung Focus (I loved it, never any problems ... her first Windows Phone experience.). Got a Nokia Lumia 900 for myself.

Today I decided to drop in to wpcentral and look at the comments. I haven's seen (m)any really positive ones. I had done a lot of googling for reviews and videos which I read and saw. And for the most part, they were very positive and promising.

So, does anyone out there have some really good news for me?

The only thing I've noticed in 24 hrs of owning it is that it seems to consume a lot of battery quickly.

Finally, I had read in a couple of places that the Lumia 900 could be used as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices. Any truth?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding battery, you are probably experiencing honeymoon syndrome, as battery life is (should be) quite good. Once you can put the phone down for awhile, you will appreciate the long battery life, provided you have something better than a terrible data signal AND you are not connected to a MicroCell, which will suck the life out of your L900.

For Internet Sharing you need a data plan that supports that feature (ie. more money).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The bad things are only issues with mostly the hardware of the phone. If you get a good working one. You got a nice phone, one of the best on the market.

ItsDon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Wanna read something positive about the phone? Go to Amazon and read the user reviews. You'll want to hug your Lumia when you are done :)

j i AmnesiAc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I've noticed in 24 hrs of owning it is that it seems to consume a lot of battery quickly.

After about a week or two of use and regular charging mine seemed to get much better. It could be the honeymoon syndrome (goon name for it) jimski spoke about but I think it was a little of both. Give it time and it should get better. Also having it connected to WiFi when at home/work helps.

Last edited:

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I gave my wife my Samsung Focus (I loved it, never any problems ... her first Windows Phone experience.). Got a Nokia Lumia 900 for myself.

Today I decided to drop in to wpcentral and look at the comments. I haven's seen (m)any really positive ones. I had done a lot of googling for reviews and videos which I read and saw. And for the most part, they were very positive and promising.

So, does anyone out there have some really good news for me?

Finally, I had read in a couple of places that the Lumia 900 could be used as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices. Any truth?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks.

To answer your questions...

You definately came to the wrong place to find any positive comments. Forums generally start to go negative because they're used as free community troubleshooting, so you'll generally find people asking help with problems. As someone mentioned, reviews have been highly positive as indicated on Amazon, but on here and XDA you'll find mainly people asking for help. You might find some positive things towards the time when it just launched if you go back far enough.

The battery thing I find is highly dependent on signal quality. Just the other day my battery dropped 60% in about 6-8 hours. I was in an area of no signal for most of the day, and trying to access data and use GPS during this time was taxing, that in the early evening I was down to 30%. Normal days, I can use the phone the same way and be at about 40-50% by the end of the day with the same usage (it's about moderate if I were to compare it to what people consider heavy usage). You can check your battery drain by running the diagnostics app (##643# from the phone dial pad). If things are normal it should be bouncing around 90-120 mA drain when idle.

Wifi hotspot will drain more battery as well. In order to run this you have to have a compatible tethering plan from your carrier.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I own a Focus (best phone ever!), my GF owns one and I support 27 users with them. I can say for sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lumia 900 has MUCH better battery life.

Here are a list of differences you will probably notice.

1) Camera. In general the Focus will take better pictures however when the Lumia feels like it, it can take beautiful pictures that are much better than the Focus can do. I really believe that a small software update can improve the quality of the 900s camera a lot.

2) Screen. The screen of the Lumia is much better than the Focus. Brighter, easier to read in sunlight.

3) External speaker. The speaker on the Focus is good but the L900 sounds more full and music a littler more rich.

4) Feel. The 900 feels like a tank compared to the Focus. I still think the Focus can take more abuse but 900 feels like a quality item in the hand

5) Battery life. As noted above the L900 battery spanks the Focus hands down.

6) Implementation of WP. The Focus feels faster and more fluid than the 900. There has to be a driver issue or some other software problem on the 900. It's not awful mind you but it's not as good as any other Windows Phone I have used.

7) Support. This is where the L900 truly is better than all other Windows Phones. Nokia cares more and does more for it's customers than any other phone manufacture. All the small complaints I have about my phone (and they are very small) I know will be addressed and fixed. I trust Nokia to do the right thing.

So for the most part I don't think the L900 is huge improvement over the Focus I think it is "better" nonetheless.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I own a Focus (best phone ever!), my GF owns one and I support 27 users with them. I can say for sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lumia 900 has MUCH better battery life.

Here are a list of differences you will probably notice.

1) Camera. In general the Focus will take better pictures however when the Lumia feels like it, it can take beautiful pictures that are much better than the Focus can do. I really believe that a small software update can improve the quality of the 900s camera a lot.

2) Screen. The screen of the Lumia is much better than the Focus. Brighter, easier to read in sunlight.

3) External speaker. The speaker on the Focus is good but the L900 sounds more full and music a littler more rich.

4) Feel. The 900 feels like a tank compared to the Focus. I still think the Focus can take more abuse but 900 feels like a quality item in the hand

5) Battery life. As noted above the L900 battery spanks the Focus hands down.

6) Implementation of WP. The Focus feels faster and more fluid than the 900. There has to be a driver issue or some other software problem on the 900. It's not awful mind you but it's not as good as any other Windows Phone I have used.

7) Support. This is where the L900 truly is better than all other Windows Phones. Nokia cares more and does more for it's customers than any other phone manufacture. All the small complaints I have about my phone (and they are very small) I know will be addressed and fixed. I trust Nokia to do the right thing.

So for the most part I don't think the L900 is huge improvement over the Focus I think it is "better" nonetheless.
Thanks guys for your time, replies, insight. I certainly feel a whole lot better now.

1- I definitely have the honeymoon syndrome, so I'll be patient.
2- Amazon.com was one of many external reviews that sold me on the Lumia 900. Thanks for clarifying the issue about not trying to look to Forums for positives. (better for fixes)
3- Everything about the Lumia I love: size, feel, screen, colors, speaker, speed. But yes, I have noticed that the Focus takes better pictures. (for a phone!)
4- Thanks for the info on the tethering plan and the diagnostics.

Well, I gotta' go. I feel like hugging my Lumia 900, now! :)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You want good news? IMO the L900 is the best WP device on the market currently. Yes there have been some problems but they have mostly been limited to a small percentage of phones and have been generally been addressed pretty quickly. You may have read about problems but I'm sure you have read very few owners saying they are switching to an different phone.

If you are with AT&T you're going to need a special plan for "internet sharing" to use it.
As far as batteries, my battery can last for almost two days....if I barely touch it. I happen to use my phone alot so I have chargers at home, at work, in my car and in my laptop bag. I guess I like to be prepared.

Good luck with your L900, you won't regret it. :cool:

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Cus.

sdreammer: My phone does show drain at 90-120. What do you understand as "idle"?

Idle, as in no apps are open except the battery diagnostics. If you're idling at 90-120 you should be getting pretty good battery life. The times when I have bad batter life, the drain is like 200-400, with rare spikes to 600. I also notice that at this time my phone starts to get really warm. I've only seen this when I'm on wifi in areas with poor signal for some reason. I use wifi all the time, and this has only happened to me twice since I got it, and always in the same areas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes