Did your battery life get better?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The first 2 weeks my battery life was terrible. It only lasted about 8hrs with normal use before wanting a charge. Then it consistently got better after every week, averaging about 12hrs. Now fast forward a few more weeks, about a month after purchase, I'm getting about a day and half on a single charge! I take it off at 8am every morning, and usually put it back on the charger at around midnight for overnight charging. On a few occasions, I was too lazy and would just charge it in the morning. Woke up at 8am and walked over to charge it, then noticed I still had about 50% left. So after 24hrs I still had only used about half my battery. Now I don't have to worry about waking up drunk somewhere on the Vegas strip and not having a way to call for a ride home. Very cool! :D

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen with cell phones, the batteries typically get better after the first couple weeks to a month. The discharge and recharge of them seem to condition them and they get much better.

On another note my Lumia's battery is awesome, it lasts a lot longer than my iPhone 4S battery does, which can sometimes barely make it through a day.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT CONDITION LITHIUM ION BATTERIES!! Lithium ion batteries do not suffer from "memory" the way other rechargeable battery tech does. The tradeoff is a limited # of complete power cycles. In other words, "conditioning" your lithium ion battery means it's going to degrade faster.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
From what I've seen with cell phones, the batteries typically get better after the first couple weeks to a month. The discharge and recharge of them seem to condition them and they get much better.

On another note my Lumia's battery is awesome, it lasts a lot longer than my iPhone 4S battery does, which can sometimes barely make it through a day.

DO NOT CONDITION LITHIUM ION BATTERIES!! Lithium ion batteries do not suffer from "memory" the way other rechargeable battery tech does. The tradeoff is a limited # of complete power cycles. In other words, "conditioning" your lithium ion battery means it's going to degrade faster.

I never discharge any of my smartphones. I believe that is an old habbit that is more harmful than good for Lithium ion batteries.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying completely discharge it on purpose. After the first couple weeks or so it seems after the battery's initial use it gets better. I am aware newer batteries do not need to be "conditioned".

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not saying completely discharge it on purpose. After the first couple weeks or so it seems after the battery's initial use it gets better. I am aware newer batteries do not need to be "conditioned".

I figured that's what you meant, MisterMhz.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just a guess, but it is probably related to honeymoon syndrome. The first week you had your L900, like me you couldn't put it down. A few weeks later and now you are into a more normal routine. Think that plays a big part in perceived battery performance.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Just a guess, but it is probably related to honeymoon syndrome. The first week you had your L900, like me you couldn't put it down. A few weeks later and now you are into a more normal routine. Think that plays a big part in perceived battery performance.

I believe there is some truth to this honeymoon syndrome. But none of my other phones in the past has given more than a whole work day, before needing a charge or dying on me. Even after a year of usage, before upgrading to the next. I have never experienced a smartphone give me a day and half to two days on a sinlge charge. Well, that is except when I used my Focus oversees, with a prepaid sim, no data.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

When I sold phones, or provided support, I ALWAYS used the honeymoon period of the first 2 weeks to explain battery life. Come on, you get a new toy, you're going to play with it to no end just seeing what you can and can't do and constantly showing it off. You could say this about a whole slew of things (new cars, other electronics, etc).

I love when people talk about 'normal' usage with a new product. Please. Very few people use something new as much as they used their older item. Not that shiny new toy you don't. It's human nature, and then we cool off a bit.

Unless you're me and don't have a computer so you use your phone all the time regardless anyways. :p

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think you guys read over what I wrote: a day and a half on a single charge! Is this not surprising to anyone but me? Is this normal for everyone else? I have never owned a smartphone that even came close to 24 hours, even if on standby.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The 1920mAh battery helps with that. Not many other phones with a battery as large (or larger).

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The 1920mAh battery helps with that. Not many other phones with a battery as large (or larger).

I think the latest Android phones (One X, SGSIII) are now coming out with batteries larger than 2000mAh.

And I thought the 900 had an 1830mAh battery?

EDIT: I'm sorry, I meant EVO 4G LTE (2000mAh battery), the One X only has 1800mAh.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if living in a strong LTE area helps? I know it contradicts what I've heard about from Android, about how LTE is a battery killer. But I think WP (or more specifically, Nokia WP) may be more optimized for LTE.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
And how long do they last on a single charge?

Haha no idea, maybe I'll look at some reviews later. I think many people complain about the battery life on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and look at the Droid Razr. A couple months later and they release the Razr Maxx.

I was just replying to jimski's comment on how there aren't many phones with large batteries, but I think that's beginning to change.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys read over what I wrote: a day and a half on a single charge! Is this not surprising to anyone but me? Is this normal for everyone else? I have never owned a smartphone that even came close to 24 hours, even if on standby.

Seeing as how I'm on my first smartphone after coming from a feature phone, I fully expected that smartphones would be able to do a minimum of a day and a half light to moderate usage, which is what my phone has been doing since I got it.

If I'm lucky I can calibrate it for 2 days and a little extra, but that's kind of rare with my normal use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte