White Lumia 900 Plastic discoloring after 2 days

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a black one. After about a week that soft touch wears off and its more of a slippery hard plastic. Sucks cause I liked that soft touch feel

:straight:

I don't know what you're doing with your phone, but I got mine the second they were available on pre-launch and the entire surface feels exactly the same as when it was new.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
this is going to sound dumb, but u don't happen to live around some sort of exotic radiated area that would alter things and create beings like spiderman could you? :p

may be get it plastic wrapped and see if the color still changes (just for temp)

prodwel2

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc,

What color is the cleaning cloth? It isn't black or gray, is it? I had a green microfiber cloth once that would very slightly "stain" the surface of what I wiped using that cloth. Maybe it has a dye that is rubbing off...

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
What color is the cleaning cloth? It isn't black or gray, is it? I had a green microfiber cloth once that would very slightly "stain" the surface of what I wiped using that cloth. Maybe it has a dye that is rubbing off...
Hmmmm, You might be on to something. It is black. Here's what may have happened then. I actually have two black cloths. One that I got with my HP. It is very soft and I have been using it for months. But, I also received another one (which is also black) as a "free gift" at a BJ's store the day before I got my first Lumia. It's cheaper and probably not of the best quality.

Here's the thing now that I think about it. I Keep the cheaper one in my company car and used it to wipe both of them when they were really new, which is when the streaking/discoloring happened. I havent used it recently and no new streaks have appeared.

Wow. Maybe that's it! Its been driving me crazy. Now I have to decide if I want to take back my 2nd one for a 3rd. If it turns out that's what has been happening then I guess its not Nokia's fault...Moral dilemma ...:dry

Thanks!

Last edited:

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had my white one since release - looks good as new still. Maybe you need to shower more? (I KIIID!!)

I don't know why you are having that problem but it's not wide spread at all.

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I had blue ink from a ballpoint pen I was using on my hand and when i picked up my white lumia, the ink got on the back. I rubbed and rubbed to try to get the smudge off but eventually just used some rubbing alcohol and it came right off. Maybe try that?
Alcohol fixes most things ;)

Jonathan

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site
:straight:

I don't know what you're doing with your phone, but I got mine the second they were available on pre-launch and the entire surface feels exactly the same as when it was new.

Only wear it experiences is going in/out of my pocket. It still "looks" like it would feel soft and is of high quality..... but just doesnt feel that way anymore. It definitely doesnt look like a cheap hard plastic (maybe that's what you were thinking)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I had blue ink from a ballpoint pen I was using on my hand and when i picked up my white lumia, the ink got on the back. I rubbed and rubbed to try to get the smudge off but eventually just used some rubbing alcohol and it came right off. Maybe try that?
Alcohol fixes most things ;)

Jonathan

or hair spray that works with ink as well!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hmmmm, You might be on to something. It is black. Here's what may have happened then. I actually have two black cloths. One that I got with my HP. It is very soft and I have been using it for months. But, I also received another one (which is also black) as a "free gift" at a BJ's store the day before I got my first Lumia. It's cheaper and probably not of the best quality.

Here's the thing now that I think about it. I Keep the cheaper one in my company car and used it to wipe both of them when they were really new, which is when the streaking/discoloring happened. I havent used it recently and no new streaks have appeared.

Wow. Maybe that's it! Its been driving me crazy. Now I have to decide if I want to take back my 2nd one for a 3rd. If it turns out that's what has been happening then I guess its not Nokia's fault...Moral dilemma ...:dry

Thanks!

see post #19 in this thread!

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Help!

I've had 2 white 900s in a week. Same issue. The first one I got and activated at night without much examination. I noticed the next day that their was a small (1/2") round spot on the back that looked like the white was rubbing off and turning gray. Tried to wipe it off but it was in the plastic. I returned it to ATT for another white one. This time I inspected it and it was flawless. Well, 3 days later it has 2 gray streaks in the plastic!

if I wasn't so careful the last few days with it (read anal..:) ) I would say maybe I did something. My hands have always been clean when using it, I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc, and generally have been very careful with it.

I will return for Cyan one now. I don't want to use a case. I like the feel of it sans case.

Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?
Yes Polycarbonate in White is a form of plastic and will discolor over time from sunlight exposure and fluorescent light and other bright lights. This is why apple used white paint over gorilla glass in the iphone 4 and iphone 4S to avoid this issue!

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes Polycarbonate in White is a form of plastic and will discolor over time from sunlight exposure and fluorescent light and other bright lights. This is why apple used white paint over gorilla glass in the iphone 4 and iphone 4S to avoid this issue!

All of the N9 poly designs (N9, 800, 900) have special coating on top of the polycarbonate on the white version, same stuff that also gives the shine compared to it's non coated colors (cyan, black, magenta).

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I am also facing discoloring issues. I have a cyan att version. Not to bother you with the details but this is my third lumia because of many other issues. This is the first time I face a discoloration issue. I always carry my phone in a black oem nokia case or naked and after taking off the case today I noticed a white blemish. I immediately tried to clean it with a little soap and water but it didn't come off. I passed my finger over it but I cant feel as if its been scratched. Also if I pass my finger over the body of the phone I can feel very small bubbles as if in the process of creating the body there were imperfections. Attached is a picture. Iam going to contact nokia to see what they recommend. I really think it might be a defect with the polycarbonate shell. Its supposed to be cyan all the way through so this is a bit weird. Thoughts?

dpydxd.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05