White Lumia 900 Plastic discoloring after 2 days

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 6-8

Ok, the discoloration and marking is not from the cheap cloth like I thought. I have many marks, smudges, and streaking on the back of my white Lumia now. Its happened over the past few days.

I thought maybe it was pen ink since I write a lot during the day and it gets on my fingers. But it doesn't wipe off of the phone. I noticed that the original marks from a couple weeks ago have faded a bit so maybe these new marks will too. Regardless, its still frustrating. I love the phone and don't want to give up on it so I may just put a case on it an move on.

Any suggestions on what to try as a cleaner? I just am using water now.

Help!

I've had 2 white 900s in a week. Same issue. The first one I got and activated at night without much examination. I noticed the next day that their was a small (1/2") round spot on the back that looked like the white was rubbing off and turning gray. Tried to wipe it off but it was in the plastic. I returned it to ATT for another white one. This time I inspected it and it was flawless. Well, 3 days later it has 2 gray streaks in the plastic!

if I wasn't so careful the last few days with it (read anal..:) ) I would say maybe I did something. My hands have always been clean when using it, I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc, and generally have been very careful with it.

I will return for Cyan one now. I don't want to use a case. I like the feel of it sans case.

Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?

Last edited:

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No. I had my white for two weeks. No issue with the finish whatsoever. Back on a cyan now. I do think the white is a sharper looking phone. The curves show up more and it just feels thinner to me. Either way its the same damn good phone underneath.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Being polycarbonate, the color (or lack of color with white) should be the same throughout. Are you sure the gray spots are not stain. Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, but white is the toughest (and most expensive) color to produce.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Being polycarbonate, the color (or lack of color with white) should be the same throughout. Are you sure the gray spots are not stain. Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, but white is the toughest (and most expensive) color to produce.

Why is white more expensive and tougher to produce?

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site
doesn't the white one have a glossy finish? (haven't seen one in person). If so maybe the white is apart of the coating that makes it glossy white, with a grayish color plastic underneath

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
No. I had my white for two weeks. No issue with the finish whatsoever. Back on a cyan now. I do think the white is a sharper looking phone. The curves show up more and it just feels thinner to me. Either way its the same damn good phone underneath.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I agree that white is the sharpest of the three. A bit slippery to handle but still..The white contrasted against the jet black of the screen is really sharp.

Trying to get past these minor 'blemishes' cuz I really want to stay with white. Just concerned that if this is what it looks like after a couple days, what about a month, a year..ect

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Really hard to say if its a stain or a developing blemish. I mean, since I inspected it before I bought it Im sure its something thats developed in the last 3 days or so. But what? Its driving me crazy..Really appears to be 'underneath' the gloss of the finish as its not dull where these stains are.

I even thought that maybe something was on the cloth I use but I also use it to clean my tablet which had a poly back as well (black ) and no issues with that. Its also a pretty new cloth and only used to wipe phone and tablet off..

Agree that polycarbonite is tough and should have a consistent color throughout.

I'll probably just get over my hesitancy to use a case, buy one, and just move on..

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
doesn't the white one have a glossy finish? (haven't seen one in person). If so maybe the white is apart of the coating that makes it glossy white, with a grayish color plastic underneath
Its very glossy. I don't know the process how they do it but its a bright eggshell white with a mirror-like gloss finish to it. Very sharp. That's why I dont wanna give up on the white.

I will say that its slippery to handle. Not like the soft-touch Cyan or Black one, which is easier to grip.

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Its very glossy. I don't know the process how they do it but its a bright eggshell white with a mirror-like gloss finish to it. Very sharp. That's why I dont wanna give up on the white.

I will say that its slippery to handle. Not like the soft-touch Cyan or Black one, which is easier to grip.

I have a black one. After about a week that soft touch wears off and its more of a slippery hard plastic. Sucks cause I liked that soft touch feel

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Help!

I've had 2 white 900s in a week. Same issue. The first one I got and activated at night without much examination. I noticed the next day that their was a small (1/2") round spot on the back that looked like the white was rubbing off and turning gray. Tried to wipe it off but it was in the plastic. I returned it to ATT for another white one. This time I inspected it and it was flawless. Well, 3 days later it has 2 gray streaks in the plastic!

if I wasn't so careful the last few days with it (read anal..:) ) I would say maybe I did something. My hands have always been clean when using it, I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc, and generally have been very careful with it.

I will return for Cyan one now. I don't want to use a case. I like the feel of it sans case.

Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?

No problems here, I got mine a week after launch and its still bright glossy white. :D

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thought about white, but didn't want it to get a yellow hue to
It like my iPhone 3GS did. Batman blue is serving me well!

My understanding is Nokia spent 2 years coming up with the formula to make sure the white Lumia's don't look yellow, there white all the way through. Still, you can't go wrong with the Cyan either.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is Nokia spent 2 years coming up with the formula to make sure the white Lumia's don't look yellow, there white all the way through. Still, you can't go wrong with the Cyan either.
I'm sticking with white after all. I just like it too much...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It really sounds to me like somehow it got something on it that penetrated the pores of the polycarbonate which seems kind or strange as you would think it was sealed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism