06-12-2012 08:10 AM
53 123
tools
    I mostly used email, BBM and Twitter and never made or received many phone calls; so universal search didn't do much for me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-06-2012 11:16 AM
    I never saw the appeal of universal search. I never used it when I used BlackBerry.

Universal search was awesome. Type anything, and I mean anything and everything would come up. A search for "donuts" for example brought up all my friends named donuts, any email that had donuts, any text that had donuts, any place nearby that sold donuts, and a google search for donuts.
    06-08-2012 10:16 AM
    My complaint about universal search was that it searched contacts. I never wanted or needed that type of search.

06-08-2012 11:46 AM
    My complaint about universal search was that it searched contacts. I never wanted or needed that type of search.

You can customize what it searches for from settings.
    06-08-2012 06:29 PM
    You can customize what it searches for from settings.
    If she truly knew how it worked he would know that. When it comes to actual communication BB hasn't been beaten yet,it is just an excellent phone with the most customizable alert system ever.
    Last edited by Leo J; 06-09-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    06-09-2012 03:23 PM
    If he truly knew how it worked he would know that. When it comes to actual communication BB hasn't been beaten yet,it is just an excellent phone with the most customizable alert system ever.
    I did know that.

I guess the thing is that I really did not need "communication" that much.

Since I didn't have BES, there was no advantage to BlackBerry for email. Any device handles personal email just as well. If anything BIS email is the worst, due to truncated emails.

Phone calls are the feature I've always used the least, no matter what device I've owned.

I really needed a better browser, no lagging/freezing/hourglass, and better video streaming apps (Netflix).
    06-09-2012 04:08 PM
    I did know that.

I guess the thing is that I really did not need "communication" that much.

Since I didn't have BES, there was no advantage to BlackBerry for email. Any device handles personal email just as well. If anything BIS email is the worst, due to truncated emails.

Phone calls are the feature I've always used the least, no matter what device I've owned.

I really needed a better browser, no lagging/freezing/hourglass, and better video streaming apps (Netflix).
    The truncated email thing has been fixed since the first major update to BB-OS7
    06-09-2012 06:24 PM
    One of my major issues with my 9700 was that it wouldn't always connect to BIS from overseas and specially with free public wifi like airports and hotels. BBM or emails were not possible, and considering the BB was mainly for emails this was totally unacceptable. :)
    06-09-2012 11:26 PM
    One of my major issues with my 9700 was that it wouldn't always connect to BIS from overseas and specially with free public wifi like airports and hotels. BBM or emails were not possible, and considering the BB was mainly for emails this was totally unacceptable. :)
    Strange. Never had that issue.
    06-10-2012 04:59 AM
    The truncated email thing has been fixed since the first major update to BB-OS7

I know. None of the OS7 devices appealed to me due to lack of apps or hardware deficiencies, i.e. lousy camera on 9900 and lack of apps for OS7 in general.
    06-10-2012 11:18 AM
    I know. None of the OS7 devices appealed to me due to lack of apps or hardware deficiencies, i.e. lousy camera on 9900 and lack of apps for OS7 in general.
    To be honest at this point the Bold takes better pictures than the Lumia. I saw no hardware deficiencies whatsoever in the new Bold.
    06-10-2012 11:51 AM
    To be honest at this point the Bold takes better pictures than the Lumia. I saw no hardware deficiencies whatsoever in the new Bold.
    I frequently take close-up pictures, which require autofocus.

The 9900 also has a tiny screen. The 9810 has a bigger screen and better camera, but there is still a dearth of apps (no Netflix, for one).

Re: hardware deficiencies, no current Blackberry supports LTE either.
    06-10-2012 12:42 PM
    I frequently take close-up pictures, which require autofocus.

The 9900 also has a tiny screen. The 9810 has a bigger screen and better camera, but there is still a dearth of apps (no Netflix, for one).

Re: hardware deficiencies, no current Blackberry supports LTE either.
    Have you ever used a 9900 or are you just talking ? The screen isn't tiny at all its wide which makes a difference. The new devices RIM is coming out with should address the alleged hardware shortcomings but remember hardware needs are based on the platform kinda like Windows Phone is just plain old single core. The biggest problem RIM hade is people that shouldn't have had BB's to begin with.
    Last edited by Leo J; 06-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    06-11-2012 01:07 PM
    Have you ever used a 9900 or are you just talking ? The screen isn't tiny at all its wide which makes a difference. The new devices RIM is coming out with should address the alleged hardware shortcomings but remember hardware needs are based on the platform kinda like Windows Phone is just plain old single core. The biggest problem RIM hade is people that shouldn't have had BB's to begin with.
    I tried a 9900 in the store. The screen is tiny compared to any all touchscreen device.

I used BlackBerry for 3 years (9000/9700). I've done all the tricks with shrinking the OS, loading hybrids, etc. I'm also lak611 on Crackberry, so you can see I'm not a noob when it comes to BlackBerry.

I kept an upgrade for 11 months, hoping to get BB10 "early this year" since that's what RIM originally said. The OS7 devices just were not enough of an upgrade for me to bother. Then my city was getting LTE, so it was either Android or Windows Phone, and I chose Windows Phone. I couldn't live with a 9700 any longer, and couldn't justify the expense (even with carrier subsidy) for the OS7 devices which were already EOL'd in the US, and lacking features available in both Windows Phone and Android.
    06-11-2012 01:31 PM
    I tried a 9900 in the store. The screen is tiny compared to any all touchscreen device.

I used BlackBerry for 3 years (9000/9700). I've done all the tricks with shrinking the OS, loading hybrids, etc. I'm also lak611 on Crackberry, so you can see I'm not a noob when it comes to BlackBerry.

I kept an upgrade for 11 months, hoping to get BB10 "early this year" since that's what RIM originally said. The OS7 devices just were not enough of an upgrade for me to bother. Then my city was getting LTE, so it was either Android or Windows Phone, and I chose Windows Phone. I couldn't live with a 9700 any longer, and couldn't justify the expense (even with carrier subsidy) for the OS7 devices which were already EOL'd in the US, and lacking features available in both Windows Phone and Android.
    When and where did RIM ever promise BB10 early this year ????? It has always been Q4 of 2012.
    06-11-2012 02:12 PM
    When and where did RIM ever promise BB10 early this year ????? It has always been Q4 of 2012.
    There were many rumors that they would be released in early 2012. Crackberry posted that stuff all the time. http://crackberry.com/2012-bbx-black...a-black-forest
    06-11-2012 02:16 PM
    There were many rumors that they would be released in early 2012. Crackberry posted that stuff all the time. http://crackberry.com/2012-bbx-black...a-black-forest
    Where did RIM specifically say it would be release early 2012 ? Your confusing Playbook 2.0 with BB10.:)
    06-11-2012 03:30 PM
    Where did RIM specifically say it would be release early 2012 ? Your confusing Playbook 2.0 with BB10.:)
    From the linked article:
    "But what's 2012 going to look like for BBX?

There is still a ton we don't know, but we're hearing enough things now that the picture is becoming a little more clear. Of course we're all familiar with and have seen the photo of BlackBerry "London" (formerly Colt), the first BBX phone that is expected to be announced in 2012 featuring the BBX operating system and a full touchscreen display.

The latest we heard is that London is currently targeting an early March launch (March 13th specifically, but internal launch targets are just that - targets, so we wouldn't put much weight on that kind of specific... I personally am not so sure on this March time frame). We're hoping to see the first BBX phone get unveiled at CES coming up in January in Las Vegas, but if the target is March or later and knowing that things tend to get pushed back vs. pushed forward, I'm not so sure anymore. If that's the case, CES may be more of a PlayBook OS 2.0 relaunch (maybe we'll see some partner announcements finally) and BBX phone unveilings may come a month or two later. I'll keep my fingers crossed though."

My understanding also was that BBX was going to be early 2012 and the article even gives a specific date.
    06-11-2012 03:46 PM
    Crackberry must have been confused too. Note the rumors of release dates of Colt/London in that link. Obviously the head honcho at Crackberry must have felt those rumors had some shred of credibility to publish them. It's not surprising given the misinformation Lazaridis and Ballsillie put forth or failed to clarify.

06-11-2012 03:48 PM
    Crackberry must have been confused too. Note the rumors of release dates of Colt/London in that link. Obviously the head honcho at Crackberry must have felt those rumors had some shred of credibility to publish them. It's not surprising given the misinformation Lazaridis and Ballsillie put forth or failed to clarify.

Look closely at the developers phone RIM released and tell me what it's codename was .
    06-11-2012 04:22 PM
    I definitely think it's worth the switch.. I don't understand how blackberry is so great for every day email? I had a curve 8530 for about 7 or 8 months When I first started using smartphones and I loved it but I realized it wasn't much more than a feature phone.. I mean really. Sure BBM is great and I think the phone is very durable and reliable but it doesn't do anything.I tried a Torch recently and I couldn't sync my work e-mail or school e-mail and it didn't seem to execute any simple task I ever wanted it to do. Blackberry Rant = Over. This is all just my personal opinion.. I can't wait to see what BB10 looks like, I definitely think they have the ability to make a great phone they just have to realize that the same technology doesn't work for 5+ Years.
    06-11-2012 04:37 PM
    I definitely think it's worth the switch.. I don't understand how blackberry is so great for every day email? I had a curve 8530 for about 7 or 8 months When I first started using smartphones and I loved it but I realized it wasn't much more than a feature phone.. I mean really. Sure BBM is great and I think the phone is very durable and reliable but it doesn't do anything.I tried a Torch recently and I couldn't sync my work e-mail or school e-mail and it didn't seem to execute any simple task I ever wanted it to do. Blackberry Rant = Over. This is all just my personal opinion.. I can't wait to see what BB10 looks like, I definitely think they have the ability to make a great phone they just have to realize that the same technology doesn't work for 5+ Years.
    All of the problems you had were directly related to you not knowing what you are doing. The BB email setup process is ***** proof.
    06-11-2012 04:41 PM
    All of the problems you had were directly related to you not knowing what you are doing. The BB email setup process is ***** proof.
    While all of that is very possible, I called sprints "blackberry" experts.. they couldn't help me.. Crackberry couldn't help me and neither could the IT Dept. at school.. Maybe it was just that particular phone having issues. Leo it seems you are quiet a troll around here.. I read your posts and its BB this and BB that.. I'm not arguing that BB is a dependable phone its just far behind. They still make phones with 500MHz processors.. Come on!
    06-11-2012 04:54 PM
    Chances are the work email would require BES. Anything other than BlackBerry supports Exchange ActiveSync, but BlackBerry does not.

06-11-2012 06:32 PM
    While all of that is very possible, I called sprints "blackberry" experts.. they couldn't help me.. Crackberry couldn't help me and neither could the IT Dept. at school.. Maybe it was just that particular phone having issues. Leo it seems you are quiet a troll around here.. I read your posts and its BB this and BB that.. I'm not arguing that BB is a dependable phone its just far behind. They still make phones with 500MHz processors.. Come on!
    I'm hardly a troll, I own multiple phones on 2 carriers including the Lumia 900 so I'm like a smartphone connesuer.

Sent from my 4G HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    06-11-2012 08:33 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD