Switch from BlackBerry?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm an ex-BlackBerry user.

The switch worked great for me.

What are your needs in a smartphone? It would be easier to recommend or not recommend something if we know what your requirements are.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you need to figure out what your needs are in a smartphone and your wants, and then make your decision

steiale

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both.. Depending on your needs.. Messaging and every day use is still on my 9981. Why? Because I have everything in one place and I have a unified search over the whole device. In WP you have to open every app to search for email or phone number and so on. Whatsapp on Wp is very slow and sluggish..

BB is just quicker to work with. Privately I use the Lumia 900. This os is sooo nice to usw and I love th handling and everything. If the WP gehts unified search I might switch. Till now it costs too much time in everyday busines.. At least in mine.

So my conclusion is having both and you will be really happy. the Lumia is an absolutely great phone!!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have both.. Depending on your needs.. Messaging and every day use is still on my 9981. Why? Because I have everything in one place and I have a unified search over the whole device. In WP you have to open every app to search for email or phone number and so on. Whatsapp on Wp is very slow and sluggish..

BB is just quicker to work with. Privately I use the Lumia 900. This os is sooo nice to usw and I love th handling and everything. If the WP gehts unified search I might switch. Till now it costs too much time in everyday busines.. At least in mine.

So my conclusion is having both and you will be really happy. the Lumia is an absolutely great phone!!

App called People Search. Pinned it on my Home screen. Lessens my searches

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would be relying on Whatsapp a lot. Doesnt it work good?

I use WhatsApp to chat with folks who used to be in a BBM group and now have a bunch of different devices (only 3 still use BB). I don't have any issues with WhatsApp on Windows Phone. I never used WhatsApp on BB.

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I use WhatsApp to chat with folks who used to be in a BBM group and now have a bunch of different devices (only 3 still use BB). I don't have any issues with WhatsApp on Windows Phone. I never used WhatsApp on BB.

Glad to hear.
Does it drain the battery in a noticeable manner?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had battery issues with WhatsApp, and the group I'm in is very chatty. They share a lot of pictures too.

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would say you have to assess your needs,BB still has some strong points and will be getting better soon.If you rely on email and messaging BB can't be beat regardless what you hear. Also the keyboard on BB is the best in the business and I would have typed this much faster. Windows Phone is very good but still needs work and many of the apps aren't quite refined enough.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 900 using Board Express

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would say you have to assess your needs,BB still has some strong points and will be getting better soon.If you rely on email and messaging BB can't be beat regardless what you hear. Also the keyboard on BB is the best in the business and I would have typed this much faster. Windows Phone is very good but still needs work and many of the apps aren't quite refined enough.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 900 using Board Express

I'm an ex-BB user as well. Yes the email and messaging is good on BB, but I find it to be just as good on WP. As far as the physical keyboard vs touch, eh, it will be different for everyone. I can type just as fast on my touch screen as I can on the physical keyboard. Another advantage is a larger screen on WP. I occassionally use my BB when I'm at work, but always look forward to getting back on my WP.

I think the apps work better on WP and look better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I couldn't go back to BB full time no matter what Rim does, if anything, in the future.

mayoo

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have bb and lumia 900 but what's app is no way near bbm and also no notification light on lumia as well. Its not that reliable

Sent via Lumia 900 using Board Express

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have bb and lumia 900 but what's app is no way near bbm and also no notification light on lumia as well. Its not that reliable

I dont want BBM anymore. The experience of Whatsapp, whoch i found to be good, is enough for me.
Also the notification light doesnt matter to me.

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm an ex-BB user as well. Yes the email and messaging is good on BB, but I find it to be just as good on WP. As far as the physical keyboard vs touch, eh, it will be different for everyone. I can type just as fast on my touch screen as I can on the physical keyboard. Another advantage is a larger screen on WP. I occassionally use my BB when I'm at work, but always look forward to getting back on my WP.

I think the apps work better on WP and look better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I couldn't go back to BB full time no matter what Rim does, if anything, in the future.

I can type on my 9900 my eyes closed blazing fast and accurate. I can type on glass very fast also, but not with my eyes closed and as fast as on a pyhsical keyboard.

And i agree! The app UI is incredible, better than on iPhone in my opinion.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't use What's App, so I can't offer any opinion. But you also have to realize, RIM has had years to perfect BBM. It's not being fair to What's App to compare them to BBM. I would suggest giving What's App it's fair share of time before running it down.

The notification light...now I do miss that!

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I use GroupMe with my ex BBM group, who have all moved on. We have Android, iOS, and WP users. It works well for us although the app is not as refined on WP as it is on other platforms but it's getting there.

The no indication light does still bother me but I am slowly getting used to it. No complains about any other items and I love the smooth polished UI, the battery life, call quality, and the reception.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb